Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    318i

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65047

greatest pictures ever sent to me.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    GUys I have a question..
    this detailing 101.. is it mainly for BMWs? or for all cars??

which steps out of that should i follow and which not??

and what is a Zaino car?

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    for all cars...unless you own a Delorean...don't know if it applies to stainless steel.

follow all the steps.

Zaino...read the thread. It's one of the products used.

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    Hey guys, i'm pretty new to bimemrforums i do alot of maxbimmer, but this thread is incredible.

I spent the entire morning at work reading everything and I am incredibly inpressed. Now to my concerns, I have a 1998 3.28is which has never really been detailed, just got it 6 months ago, I think the paint is still o..k...so i was planning on this attack, let me knwo what you think david.

Wash (mothers California) Clay bar (gonna pick up some mothers or clay magic) then I was gonna use the Klasse aio (does this need to be used with PC?) then the Klasses SG (3 times and then after the 4th time, prolly a solid wax, whatever i got, prolly some mequiars gold class or something)

So in short

wash>>> Clay >>> Klasse AIO>>> Klasse SG (3times) >>> Wax

Now, i was wondering of these steps the only one that really needs the porter cable is the AIO? correct? Would I be able to do without? or the PC is defaintely an investment worth having? WHat other things could u used the PC for besides the AIO. Seems like a little bit of a waste if i'm gonna throw down 250 for a product i only use once every 6 months.

Also, who are these people getting PC's for like 89 US, i can't find that sort of price anywhere!

Thanks

Jonathan Tam

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    If your car is a 98 and has never been detailed, chances are you will need to FI2 between clay and AIO. I suppose you can do as you described by hand and get limited results, probably still good, but limited.

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    okay...
    I just read the forums with the pics from the Zaino, and i've changed my mind. I don't want Klasse anymore, I think i should jump on this Zaino stuff. Is the price difference that noticable?

If so, what would the steps be? and which zaino products should I get? Could i still do the wash clay FI2 then AIO, then use the zaino products?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    Since it hasn't been detailed I have figured to change the procedure to:

Wash >> Clay >> Menzerna Intensive Polish (with PC on 4) >> Klasse AIO (PC?) >> Klasse SG x3 >> Wax (whatever i can find)

Any comments?
    I found a place selling PC without backing plate for 169.99 Is that any good? What stores would have this stuff?

My Cars
    N/A
    Hi Jon;

I'll do my best to answer all your questions:

Q: Klasse aio (does this need to be used with PC?)
    A: No. AIO can be used by hand. You will get better results via PC, but by hand will do a good job as well for basic paint cleaning.

Q: wash>>> Clay >>> Klasse AIO>>> Klasse SG (3times) >>> Wax. Now, i was wondering of these steps the only one that really needs the porter cable is the AIO? correct?
    A: Yes, you could use the PC with the AIO only. The other steps do not require the PC.

Q: or the PC is defaintely an investment worth having?
    A: If you have a lot of swirl marks that require removal, then you will absolutely need a PC to get rid of them (in conjunction with an abrasive polish - more abrasive than AIO). If all you want to do to your car is clay, aio, and SG, then don't bother buying a PC.

Q: WHat other things could u used the PC for besides the AIO.
    A: As I said in the previous question, the PC is mainly good for removing swirls.

Q: Also, who are these people getting PC's for like 89 US, i can't find that sort of price anywhere!
    A: They are American citizens who are purchasing their PC's at Lowes for $89 USD (not Canadian) If you want to buy a PC, your best bet would be to check out Canadian Tire. They usually have a sale on the PC every spring. I believe the price is 189.99. the regular price is 229.99. Otherwise you could order it online from carcaresmart.com (canadian website charging in canadian dollars) for I believe 189.99. If you buy online from the US expect to pay a lot in shipping and taxes, maybe duty as well.

Q: I don't want Klasse anymore, I think i should jump on this Zaino stuff. Is the price difference that noticable?
    A: For zaino, all you need is Z2 and ZFX. Those two products are equal in price to AIO and SG. However, if you go the zaino route (which I recommend - much better product than klasse), I would also advise to buy the car wash (Z7), detail spray (z6), and spray sealant (z8). If you are planning to remove swirls via a PC, then the zaino ZPC polish/paint cleaner would also be a good buy for you. Adding all these other products will make zaino "more expensive" when compared to klasse, however, if you take into consideration that you need to still buy another brand car wash, detail spray, etc, when using klasse, then you will see that the cost would again become equal.

Q: If so, what would the steps be? and which zaino products should I get? Could i still do the wash clay FI2 then AIO, then use the zaino products?
    A: For the steps, please read the Zaino application article in detailing 101. It tells you all the exact steps you need to take. As for which products to get, see the previous answer.

Q: Wash >> Clay >> Menzerna Intensive Polish (with PC on 4) >> Klasse AIO (PC?) >> Klasse SG x3 >> Wax (whatever i can find)
    A: Your process looks good, however I would go with Zaino instead of klasse. Your process with zaino would be: was, clay, polish with Menzerna IP with PC, zaino zpc with pc an polishing pad, wash if zpc dusts a lot, if not skip the wash, then apply z2 + zfx 3 times (see zaino article in detailing 101 for more detailed instructions).

Q: I found a place selling PC without backing plate for 169.99 Is that any good?
    A: If it is a local store, then yes, that is a god price for the GTA.

Q: What stores would have this stuff?
    A: The PC can be bought locally. All the zaino stuff can be bought from http://www.zaino.ca (zaino canada located in guelph) or from any barbers chair location (fairview mall, square one, vaughn mills). Note that barbers chair does not carry Z8 and ZPC. They have to be purchased online. The menzerna can be bought from http://www.carcaresmart.com (Canadian website) along with PC pads and a backing plate. Other than that, you should be good.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    1992 525i
    Great Post, what if you just wash your bimmer at the car wash then do the dealtealing at home.

-Payne

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne
    Great Post, what if you just wash your bimmer at the car wash then do the dealtealing at home.

-Payne
    What kind of 'car wash'?
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    Awesome info David, thanks alot

A couple followup questions, I found that the merzerna IP was sold out, would this be available anywhere else? and would i be using a cutting cloth on the PC for this product? What speed should i be using?

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    Also, you recommend Zaino over Klasse, would u agree that the zaino gives more of a shiny and smooth look, while the klasse gives a wet look, I think with my black e36 I prefer the wet look.

Thanks

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by jon328is
    Awesome info David, thanks alot

A couple followup questions, I found that the merzerna IP was sold out, would this be available anywhere else? and would i be using a cutting cloth on the PC for this product? What speed should i be using?

Thanks
    You can buy menzerna IP online in the USA from http://www.properautocare.com.

Yes, if you have heavy swirls I would recommend using a foam cutting pad with Menzerna IP.

My Cars
    N/A
    Also, you recommend Zaino over Klasse, would u agree that the zaino gives more of a shiny and smooth look, while the klasse gives a wet look, I think with my black e36 I prefer the wet look.

Thanks
    The newest version of Z2 (released last summer) topped with Z8 will look way better on your black paint than klasse. I'd go with that.

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    wow david, you really know your stuff, thanks again for the help

my buddy just found out that he has some zaino products, the whole set actually, but he left it in the garage over the winter..hopefully i'll be able to salvage what's left, he didn't really appreciate the product. So basically all i need from zaino is the zpc, z2 pro and zfx. rite? use all of it with PC polishing pad.

My Cars
    N/A
    wow david, you really know your stuff, thanks again for the help

my buddy just found out that he has some zaino products, the whole set actually, but he left it in the garage over the winter..hopefully i'll be able to salvage what's left, he didn't really appreciate the product. So basically all i need from zaino is the zpc, z2 pro and zfx. rite? use all of it with PC polishing pad.
    if the product froze it may not be any good anymore. i'd get some fresh supplies stuff if I were you. just to be safe.

What zaino products did he actually have? it still sounds like you need to buy a lot of stuff.

My Cars
    '02 330xi
    I hope I'm not asking a repeat question, but do you recommend using Menzerna Intensive Polish with a yellow compounding pad or an orange power pad? I currently have a couple of yellows, and am wondering if it is worthwhile purchasing one or two oranges. Thanks!

(By the way, I purchase Lake Country, Mfg. pads from properautocare.com.)

My Cars
    1998 3.28is
    Hey, i believe people on this forum are saying if you have heavy swirls that you need to get the orange cutting pad with merzerna.

Hey David, Ya man, I need to get EVERYTHING. PC abrasive polish, mild polish, clay bar, sealant.

It's gonna fun once i get it tho, cause my car hasn't been detailed since it was new (8 years) so like, it's gonna look totally awesome...

Thanks again for all your help. I plan on doing my clay polish and first coat of sealant this weekend, if i can get all the stuff, you think if i don't get it all i could borrow some from you, i'm also from TO. North York to be exact.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by timcc22
    I hope I'm not asking a repeat question, but do you recommend using Menzerna Intensive Polish with a yellow compounding pad or an orange power pad? I currently have a couple of yellows, and am wondering if it is worthwhile purchasing one or two oranges. Thanks!

(By the way, I purchase Lake Country, Mfg. pads from properautocare.com.)
    I have heard mixed reviews about the orange pad. The pad itself is supposed to be a compromise between a cutting and polishing pad. I've never used it for this reason as I use dedicated pads for cutting and polishing. When I use IP, I use a cutting. For your situation, you should be fine using IP with the yellow pad.

My Cars
    N/A
    Hey, i believe people on this forum are saying if you have heavy swirls that you need to get the orange cutting pad with merzerna.

Hey David, Ya man, I need to get EVERYTHING. PC abrasive polish, mild polish, clay bar, sealant.

It's gonna fun once i get it tho, cause my car hasn't been detailed since it was new (8 years) so like, it's gonna look totally awesome...

Thanks again for all your help. I plan on doing my clay polish and first coat of sealant this weekend, if i can get all the stuff, you think if i don't get it all i could borrow some from you, i'm also from TO. North York to be exact.
    Jon;

Glad I could help out. As for supplies, I'm running low myself, so I can't help you out there. Just put in one big order online and wait for it to arrive before starting your detail.

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Well Dave, I have to hand it to you. That was one impressive artical. As a stated ealier, I bought all the products you listed. I must say, If someone like me can do this you must be a heck of a writer!

Anyway, after the whole bar of clay, yes the whole bar was used before I had the warm and fuzzies about the paint, I noticed that the paint looked great. It did however uncover some other flaws in the paint. Flaws that no amount of buffing is going to fix. My car was detailed....if you call it that, twice by dealers. Spider webbing and swirls galore. Anyway, I have the first coat of SG on it and it looks fantastic! There are still a few webs but all the swirls came out. YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks for giving me the courage to takle this. I do have one question. I know you covered the cure time for SG in the write up, but is there anyway to speed up the cure time? IR or UV light maybe? Heat? It just going to take 3 extra car washes before I can finish this boat! Okay two questions. How much better will it look with 4 coats of SG and the s100 on it? I mean it looks fantastic now.

Anyway, Thanks again for telling the common man how the REAL pro's do it.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by T56 Impala
    Well Dave, I have to hand it to you. That was one impressive artical. As a stated ealier, I bought all the products you listed. I must say, If someone like me can do this you must be a heck of a writer!

Anyway, after the whole bar of clay, yes the whole bar was used before I had the warm and fuzzies about the paint, I noticed that the paint looked great. It did however uncover some other flaws in the paint. Flaws that no amount of buffing is going to fix. My car was detailed....if you call it that, twice by dealers. Spider webbing and swirls galore. Anyway, I have the first coat of SG on it and it looks fantastic! There are still a few webs but all the swirls came out. YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks for giving me the courage to takle this. I do have one question. I know you covered the cure time for SG in the write up, but is there anyway to speed up the cure time? IR or UV light maybe? Heat? It just going to take 3 extra car washes before I can finish this boat! Okay two questions. How much better will it look with 4 coats of SG and the s100 on it? I mean it looks fantastic now.

Anyway, Thanks again for telling the common man how the REAL pro's do it.
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you found the information helpful.

You mentioned that you have flaws that no amount of buffing is going to fix. How bad is your paint? Did you use a PC, cutting pad, and agressive polish like Finesse It or Menzerna? Just curious, but what % of swirls remain?

As to your questions:

1. There is no way I know of to speed up the cure time of SG. As long as you wait at least 24 hours then you should be safe in applying the next coat. The 24 hour method will allow you to do 2 coats in one weekend.

2. In terms of how good 4 coats will look, plus wax. I've found 3 coats are great, then you hit the wall and see diminishing returns for every coat after. The wax after the third is just the icing on the cake.

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Dave,

Overall the paint is in good shape. The flaws look like something like a small pipe, size of a pen maybe, was heated and placed on the paint, little small almost melted looking 1/2 circles, on the trunk and on spot on the door a
    few chips on the doors maby 3 or 4 like small rock chips. The swirls, that covered the whole car are gone. Mybe just a hint of one on the roof but you have to really look for it. The webbing is strange, I've never seen paint like that. They are long, very light scratches, in all directions all over the car. Again, all but a few are gone. Being this was my first time, I didn't want to get overly agressive either.

I used clay>menzerna IP on an orange pad>>Klasse AIO on a white pad>>>SG by hand>>>>SG by hand again this morning. I will be doing one more coat of SG per your instruction and will not do a 4th. Then I will be using the s100 by hand.

Since the car was a bit dusty, I used the QD and a good MF to lightly "dust" the car this morning. Will that effect the ability of the SG to bond to the previous coat of SG? I sure hope not! I guess I should have asked before hand.

Anyway, thanks again
    Last edited by T56 Impala; 04-11-2006 at 11:01 AM.

My Cars
    N/A
    Thanks for the added info. So you used a orange pad. If you want to step it up and see if you can get the remaing sections to look better, try a yellow pad instead. Interms of the QD, it should not impact the SG at all.

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Okay so I goofed. I re clayed and AIO'ed the hood again to try the yellow pad. Things got crazy here so I had to stop and left it outside instead of putting it in the garage. And...it rained. How badly did I mess up? Do I need to reclay the hood? Or just wsh it and move forward. The car is covered with pollen, water spots and god knows what else. Please help.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast