Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    96 M3-98 528-03&89 Accord-91Volvo 240--04 Pilot
    I just purchased and used these pads this past weekend with my PC and am very satified with the pads. I only used the white with AIO and applied SG by hand using a MF cover foam pad. Nice product and the service was good. they included tips and it is a perfect fit for the PC. Oh yea first time user of the PC .

My Cars
    Z4 3.0i
    Bump...best thread EVER...

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperboy415
    Bump...best thread EVER...
    shh - the thread is parked. it is permanently bumped

My Cars
    Z4 3.0i
    HAHA I just realized that...I got linked to the thread so I didn't know...anyways...BUMP!!!

My Cars
    BMW E36
    I read somewhere that claying is abrasive, is this true?

Play on.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by seonadancing
    I read somewhere that claying is abrasive, is this true?
    Clay does have some abrasives in it. The amount depends on the bar. Most bars like Mothers, 3M, Clay magic are mild. There are some bodyshop grade bars made by Clay Magic and Meguiars that have heavier abrasives which are used to remove paint overspray. The abrasives are used to grind the contamination so that it can be lifted into the clay bar. But as I said in the 101 article, clay will not remove clear coat or swirls, if that's what you are worried about.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Thanks Dave, Great info.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by brewe
    Thanks Dave, Great info.
    You're welcome!

My Cars
    92 525i 5spd
    Well, $300+ 8 pages and two days of reading later... I feel comfortable quitting my job and taking up detailing full time!

Thanks for all of your input David... truly and invaluable thread.

My Cars
    03' M3, 00' M Coupe, 99' MX-5, S-13 Fully Built
    I buy Clay Magic because it's pretty inexpensive ($10 with the lube) and it works the same as Mothers and it's not abrasive like some others. I can readily buy it at Auto Zone (the only discount store that I know of that sells it- and is right up the road from me) and that's an added plus. Sometimes it's not what you buy but how you use it.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by LilBad//M
    I buy Clay Magic because it's pretty inexpensive ($10 with the lube) and it works the same as Mothers and it's not abrasive like some others. I can readily buy it at Auto Zone (the only discount store that I know of that sells it- and is right up the road from me) and that's an added plus. Sometimes it's not what you buy but how you use it.
    Yeah, clay magic is good clay as well. I don't think I ever bad mouthed it.

Just an FYI for everyone, all clay is made by the same manufacturer, so the possibility that the different brands of clay are the same is very great.

My Cars
    330ZHP R1200GS E300D
    David,

Thanks for the write up, it got me started in doing my own cars etc.

Question though, noticed you edited the write up and changed a few products. I dont see a mention of 3M FI anymore? Was there a problem or the other products work better?

Menzerna IP was not mentioned before that I remember. I started ordering, buying supplies about 2-3 weeks ago and just noticed this product mentioned in the write up tonight.

Mike

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by 95m3Lightweight
    David,

Thanks for the write up, it got me started in doing my own cars etc.

Question though, noticed you edited the write up and changed a few products. I dont see a mention of 3M FI anymore? Was there a problem or the other products work better?

Menzerna IP was not mentioned before that I remember. I started ordering, buying supplies about 2-3 weeks ago and just noticed this product mentioned in the write up tonight.

Mike
    Hey man.

There is nothing wrong with Finesse It. It's still a great no nonsense polish. It works as well as Menzerna IP at removing swirls. I just found that IP was a bit more user friendly, so I changed the writeup.

No worries though. Continue with the Finesse It. You will be pleased with the results.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6; 1983 320i/5
    Hi David,

I am supposed to take delivery of my brand-new 2006 M3 by the end of February. I already asked the salesman about not detailing the car (i.e., no wash/wax etc.) during their delivery prep process. He looked at me like I was on the rock and said "ummmm...we've never had any complaints, they do a really good job" etc. etc. I explained to him I was concerned about swirl marks, he basically told me I had nothing to worry about and I got the impression he thought I was making a big deal out of nothing. FWIW the guy owns 2 M3's and is a "car guy"-type, very knowledgeable about the M3 as opposed to some who are clueless.

Am I being too anal about this? I've seen everything from "Do NOT let the dealer touch your paint" (as part of prep) to "don't sweat the small stuff". Whatever you recommend is what I will tell them I want done. Thanks for all of your outstanding, straightforward advice! Great stuff.

Greg

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by drw1926
    Hi David,

I am supposed to take delivery of my brand-new 2006 M3 by the end of February. I already asked the salesman about not detailing the car (i.e., no wash/wax etc.) during their delivery prep process. He looked at me like I was on the rock and said "ummmm...we've never had any complaints, they do a really good job" etc. etc. I explained to him I was concerned about swirl marks, he basically told me I had nothing to worry about and I got the impression he thought I was making a big deal out of nothing. FWIW the guy owns 2 M3's and is a "car guy"-type, very knowledgeable about the M3 as opposed to some who are clueless.

Am I being too anal about this? I've seen everything from "Do NOT let the dealer touch your paint" (as part of prep) to "don't sweat the small stuff". Whatever you recommend is what I will tell them I want done. Thanks for all of your outstanding, straightforward advice! Great stuff.

Greg
    Hi Greg;

In most cases I would say not to let them touch the paint. But they may actually do a decent job. What I would do is take a look at some of the 'for delivery' cars that they have just detailed. If you like their work, then let them do it, otherwise tell them not to touch it. I don't want to tell you 100% either way (detail or not). It depends on the dealer.

My Cars
    92 525i 5spd
    Is it ok to use Mcguiars Gold Class Wash Soap for my weekly wash? will this strip the coats of SG I have down? I couldnt find the mothers california gold at the local autozone.
    Photoshopically challenged

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by hakwuzhere
    Is it ok to use Mcguiars Gold Class Wash Soap for my weekly wash? will this strip the coats of SG I have down? I couldnt find the mothers california gold at the local autozone.
    Meguiars gold class is a good wash as well. Go ahead and use it. It won't strip your SG.

My Cars
    92 525i 5spd
    Awesome, thanks again for your help David. If your ever in DC I owe you a car wash! or at least a beer
    Photoshopically challenged

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by hakwuzhere
    Awesome, thanks again for your help David. If your ever in DC I owe you a car wash! or at least a beer
    Hey man. Not a problem!! Glad to help out my fellow bimmer owners!

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Okay, so I've read this over and over and over.......I think the actions involved are something I can do. I bought a PC 7336sp. Cheap at Lowes locally. ($83 before tax) Now I start making a list of the supplies I need. Humm.....I got the list and now I try to find them. I look all over the net and now I am more confused than ever! Reading every web page each claims they are the best, user friendly and should only be use with other products made by that company. IE Klass with Klass stuff, Menzerna with Menzerna stuff. And pads! What a nightmare. Should I by a "kit" or each individual pad used in the post? AND....all of the sites talk about the 7424 not the 7336. Did I buy the wrong one? I understood, or thought I understood that they were basicly the same unit. Maybe I'm not ready for this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by T56 Impala
    Okay, so I've read this over and over and over.......I think the actions involved are something I can do. I bought a PC 7336sp. Cheap at Lowes locally. ($83 before tax) Now I start making a list of the supplies I need. Humm.....I got the list and now I try to find them. I look all over the net and now I am more confused than ever! Reading every web page each claims they are the best, user friendly and should only be use with other products made by that company. IE Klass with Klass stuff, Menzerna with Menzerna stuff. And pads! What a nightmare. Should I by a "kit" or each individual pad used in the post? AND....all of the sites talk about the 7424 not the 7336. Did I buy the wrong one? I understood, or thought I understood that they were basicly the same unit. Maybe I'm not ready for this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Don't get sucked into the marketing hype you read. Everyoen claims to be the best.

As for not being able to use different manufacturers products together... nonsense.

As for pads, you may want to buy a kit to start off. See which ones you use more often and which you like, then you can buy more individually. The wolfgang eurotech foam pads are supposed to be good flat pads for the PC. May want to check those out.

As for the PC. No, you didn;t goof, the 7424 and 7336 are the same machine as explained in the FAQ. The difference is the counterweight. The 7336 comes with the 6" CW standard so you are good to go.

Relax, you'll be fine.

My Cars
    E36 M3 all models except saloon.
    Hey David, I wanna thank you just as numerous others have I thought I was doing a good job before at detailing my car now after reading your FAQ im going to rethink and replan my whole routine. I was wondering im going for a PC 7424 or 7336 in about a month(its still really muddy around here) I was wondering I know the counterweight is the only difference but does the CW make much of a difference? Which one is better for a 1st time orbital user...?

Thank you in advance for the help and thanks for the brilliant post.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6; 1983 320i/5
    Hi Dave,

Just a quick question to get your take on Griot's products, including the Griot's-branded random orbital. Is it good stuff, comparable to Klasse, Zaino, Pinnacle, etc.? I would venture to guess his stuff is made by one of them. Regarding his polisher (which is new 'n' improved by the way), is that in fact made by PC, as some have claimed? I have my doubts, since the Griot's buffer sells for like $120/$125, while he sells the PC on his site for $170 or so, IIRC.

Thanks Dave.
    Greg
    Road. It's what's for dinner.
    BMWCCA #360969

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt
    Hey David, I wanna thank you just as numerous others have I thought I was doing a good job before at detailing my car now after reading your FAQ im going to rethink and replan my whole routine. I was wondering im going for a PC 7424 or 7336 in about a month(its still really muddy around here) I was wondering I know the counterweight is the only difference but does the CW make much of a difference? Which one is better for a 1st time orbital user...?

Thank you in advance for the help and thanks for the brilliant post.
    Your welcome. Glad the post has helped so many.

In terms of the CW, it won't make a huge difference, but you will notice less vibration with the 6" CW. Some people may notice it more than others I suppose. I would personally go with the 7336 since it comes packaged with the 6" CW and it can also be purchased locally at lowes for like $83 (some members have recently reported that price).

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by drw1926
    Hi Dave,

Just a quick question to get your take on Griot's products, including the Griot's-branded random orbital. Is it good stuff, comparable to Klasse, Zaino, Pinnacle, etc.? I would venture to guess his stuff is made by one of them. Regarding his polisher (which is new 'n' improved by the way), is that in fact made by PC, as some have claimed? I have my doubts, since the Griot's buffer sells for like $120/$125, while he sells the PC on his site for $170 or so, IIRC.

Thanks Dave.
    I can't comment personally on griots prodcuts good or bad, since I have never used them. However I have heard that their products are good, but some of them are repackaged products from other vendors.

If I had to choose between using a griots sealant or zaino or klasse, I'd go with zaino or klasse. Quality will be just as good at less of a cost (griots is expensive).

As for the griots PC, it IS a rebadged Porter cable polisher, even their new super duper polisher. I can't remember but I was reading somewhere that you can see the PC part number on the griots branded machine.

But basically, save your cash and just pick up a PC at lowes.

Hope this helps.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast