Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    mbusa
    Thanks Rogue..

what pads / backing plate did you get?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajknair
    Thanks Rogue..

what pads / backing plate did you get?
    I got the backing plate and pads from Autogeek. I think in the future I am going to try the Sonus SFX Pads as I had a really great Autopia experience where they followed up in my purchase and genuinely cared about my questions and my thoughts on the products.

They have kits listed in that link to pads and backing plates that cuts down on the purchase price of buying them seperately by a liuttle bit.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Jason@Autogeek; 05-19-2005 at 09:42 PM.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    mbusa
    Thanks for the info!

Another question:
    I am planning to detail a new black Merc ML500 my wife bought last week.
    Do you think I need to polish after the wash.. or go do wash - dry - sealant(sg / zaino )? since this a new car, there may not be enough dirt on it to require a claying or polishing.

What do you think?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajknair
    Thanks for the info!

Another question:
    I am planning to detail a new black Merc ML500 my wife bought last week.
    Do you think I need to polish after the wash.. or go do wash - dry - sealant(sg / zaino )? since this a new car, there may not be enough dirt on it to require a claying or polishing.

What do you think?
    Cars usually come pretty nasty from the dealership...their detailers usually do an awful job. (dealerships in general)

You should be able to look at the paint in the sunlight and determine whether or not you are going to need a mild swirl remover. If you do have swirls I think the Sonus Polishes should more than take care of them.

I would recommend you go with Klasse AIO after you dry, and after you polish (if you do) as it brings out a great shine in the paint.

More than likely you will be good with:

Wash>>Dry>>AIO>>Wax/Sealant

Some people choose to do an all out detailing their first time with clay and all, and then just make sure to wash and dry properly in the future.

Its up to you.

If you dont already have towels, Autopia also has somre really high quality Microfiber Towels. They have really cut down on my drying time and I like them alot more for buffing as they take up the residue really effectively.
    Last edited by Jason@Autogeek; 05-19-2005 at 09:41 PM.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    mbusa
    Thanks to everyone in the forum for making this a great thread.
    David, Rogue.. thanks!

What sealant is considered the best?

klasse?
    zaino?
    wolfgang?
    5starshine?
    Meguiars?

Something else?

My Cars
    N/A
    Hey Rogue, are you on the autopia payroll? (I'm half joking)

ajknair,

A 5" plate with 6" pads will be fine with the 7336. I would advise against 7.5" pads as they are too big for the PC.

As for the ML, I would use a mild cleaner/polish like klasse AIO on it. You may even want to give it a light claying. Many new cars have quite a bit of rail dust on them from the journey over to the dealer. Take a look at the car and feel it. If it has swirls, then polish, if it doesn't, then consider a mild polish only. If the paint feels gritty, then clay, if not then assume your car had a easy journey over ans skip.

As for best sealant, Zaino hands down. See this thread for specific Zaino instructions:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=353788

My Cars
    mbusa
    David,

Thanks fo rthe info.
    The MB guys offerred me something called perm plate.
    this has a "paintguard" for the exterior, and leather guard for the leather.
    costs like $800 after discount !! (regular price 1500 !!!!!)

Do you think it is worth it? Is it any different from Zaino / scothguard?

My Cars
    N/A
    Do NOT waste your money on Parma Plate. Its a dealer scam. Its just their way of making money. Yes, Zaino is 1000 times better, and it costs less than 1/10th of the price.

My Cars
    None

Smile How about my rims?

David,

Awesome post! You are very generous with your knowledge, thank you.

Do you have any suggestions for polishing rims? Should I use a buffing device? I have polished lightweights.

Catur

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Five
    David,

Awesome post! You are very generous with your knowledge, thank you.

Do you have any suggestions for polishing rims? Should I use a buffing device? I have polished lightweights.

Catur
    You could polish them by hand, or with your drill and mothers new powerball. The polish you use will depend on the finish of the rim.

My Cars
    2005 325i

Question Where can I buy in Florida?

Well I'm off to Disney World this Monday and I'm planning on buying all my detailling products there...less hassle rather than buying through the Internet.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find a place so that I can buy most recommended products from washing to waxing my bimmer?
    my

My Cars
    Ordered 2006 530i

Detailing Questions

David, your info has been THE best information I've yet to find on detailing. Thank you very much. However, I do have questions from what you've written.

I will soon be the new owner of a jet black BMW 530i . I'm very excited about this and want to do the best I can a keeping it clean and protecting the paint. So, here's my plan:

My Shopping List:
    Genuine wool mitt for washing
    Zaino Z7 Show Car Wash
    Clay Magic or Perfect Shine Detailing Clay (any advice?)
    Blue Pearl Microfiber Applicators
    Concours Buffing Towel
    Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel (waffle weave)
    Klasse All-In-One
    Zaino ZFX/Z2Pro or Klasse SG??

My Procedure:

Wash with Z7
    Clay
    Klasee AIO
    Zaino Z2 (wash first) or Klasse SG

David, you mentioned after applying Klasse AIO to wash the car prior to Zaino Z2. Why not just use Klasse SG instead of Zaino?

What if I don't have any swirl marks. Why would I use Klasse AIO if it polishes the surface when not req'd. And, if not Klasse AIO, what's best to use to clean (Zaino Z5?)?

Thanks alot in advance for any replies

KM

My Cars
    N/A
    Hey man. I'll answer your questions inside the quote in CAPS.

Quote Originally Posted by KMonster
    David, your info has been THE best information I've yet to find on detailing. Thank you very much. However, I do have questions from what you've written.

I will soon be the new owner of a jet black BMW 530i . I'm very excited about this and want to do the best I can a keeping it clean and protecting the paint. So, here's my plan:

My Shopping List:
    Genuine wool mitt for washing. I LIKE THE SHEEPSKIN MITTS BETTER. JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE. THEY FEEL MUCH SOFTER.

Zaino Z7 Show Car Wash

Clay Magic or Perfect Shine Detailing Clay (any advice?)
    ALL CLAY IS MADE BY THE SAME MANUFACTERER. PICK ANY ONE AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

Blue Pearl Microfiber Applicators
    Concours Buffing Towel
    Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel (waffle weave)

Klasse All-In-One
    If you decide to go with zaino, I wouldn't bother with AIO. Zaino has a new paint cleanser that just hit the market last week. It's called Z-CP fusion. It's water based with no oil or filler. You can directly go from it to your Z2 without having to wash the car.

Zaino ZFX/Z2Pro or Klasse SG??
    GO WITH ZAINO, BETTER DURABILITY, SLCIKNESS AND Z2 PRO IS SUPPOSED TO BE AMAZING.

My Procedure:

Wash with Z7
    Clay
    Klasee AIO - ZCP INSTEAD
    Zaino Z2 (wash first) or Klasse SG - Z2 FOR SURE

David, you mentioned after applying Klasse AIO to wash the car prior to Zaino Z2. Why not just use Klasse SG instead of Zaino?

LIKE I SAID ABOVE, Z IS A BETTER PRODUCT. I STILL LOVE KLASSE, BUT ZAINO HAS IT BEAT.

What if I don't have any swirl marks. Why would I use Klasse AIO if it polishes the surface when not req'd.

AIO IS SO MILD IT WILL NOT REALLY TOUCH SEVERE SWIRLS. ITS MEANT TO REMOVE VERY MINOR HAZING AND IS REALLY INTENDED AS A CHEMICAL CLEANER THAT WILL DEEP CLEAN THE PAINT. ALL MILD POLISHES LIKE AIO (P21S GEPC, ZPC, MENZERNA FP2, ETC) ARE MEANT TO MLDLY POLISH THE PAINT AND BRING OUT THE LAST BIT OF GLOSS. YOU NEED TO DO THIS ONCE A YEAR, EVEN IF YOU DON;T HAVE SERIOUS SWIRLS. YOU'LL STILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. YOUR PAINT WILL LOOK CRISPER. ALL PAINT NEEDS SOME TLC. IT WILL NEVER STAY PERFECT. USING POLISHES LIKE THIS ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR WILL NOT HARM YOUR PAINT. THEY ARE TOO MILD.

And, if not Klasse AIO, what's best to use to clean (Zaino Z5?)?

AS STATED ABOVE, ZCP FUSION.

Thanks alot in advance for any replies

NO PROBLEM, GLAD TO HELP OUT!

KM

My Cars
    2001 330i Titanium Silver

Talking Quick question for you Dave

I was wondering if I can use the Showtime QD that came with my Mothers clay bar kit in between coats of SG or if I needed another QD product? Also, about how much car area should I look to be covering with a dime sized portion of the AIO and SG? Can't wait till my bimmer is shining pretty! Thanks in advance man.........

My Cars
    M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by FSUmac
    I was wondering if I can use the Showtime QD that came with my Mothers clay bar kit in between coats of SG or if I needed another QD product? Also, about how much car area should I look to be covering with a dime sized portion of the AIO and SG? Can't wait till my bimmer is shining pretty! Thanks in advance man.........
    Yes showtime QD is non carnuba based. Personally, I think the cinnamon smell is a bit over the top, but whatever.

A dime size dollop of SG should cover most of the hood. AIO depends on how much cleaning action you need - the more you work an area, the more product you use in that area.

My Cars
    2006 330i ZSP ZPP
    Hi David. I have a question about polishing. I had my hood repainted. I noticed afterwards that there're many swirl marks. My bodyshop told me that they can remove these swirl marks by running the car through "the machine and the pad". Also, they said that this wouldn't remove any clear coat. It'd just soften up the clear coat and move it around. Is this true?

I've also attached some pictures to give you an idea of the extent of the swirl marks. If I decide to forego my bodyshop's offer, I was hoping to cover them up with Z5 rather than resorting to the PC. Could you comment on this as well?

Thank you very much for your contribution. It's a wonderful guide and I look forward to applying it to my E90 in a week or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by drednik
    Hi David. I have a question about polishing. I had my hood repainted. I noticed afterwards that there're many swirl marks. My bodyshop told me that they can remove these swirl marks by running the car through "the machine and the pad". Also, they said that this wouldn't remove any clear coat. It'd just soften up the clear coat and move it around. Is this true?

I've also attached some pictures to give you an idea of the extent of the swirl marks. If I decide to forego my bodyshop's offer, I was hoping to cover them up with Z5 rather than resorting to the PC. Could you comment on this as well?

Thank you very much for your contribution. It's a wonderful guide and I look forward to applying it to my E90 in a week or so.
    Those look like rotary holograms. The "Detailer" (I use that word lightly) at the bodyshop obviously tried to buff it but didnt know what the heck he was doing. Don't take it back to them. They'll just rebuff it again with a rotary and probably screw it up even more. FYI, rotaries will remove some clear coat. Fix it yourself. Z5 will not cover those up. You WILL need a PC, some foam pads, and good polish. It may seem like a big thing now to do it yourself, but it'll be worth it in the end.

My Cars
    2006 330i ZSP ZPP
    Doh! And these guys are suppose to specialize in BMW, Porsche, and Ferrari! Brand new E90 and swirl marks already.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply David. Really appreciate it.

My Cars
    2013 Ferrari F138

re

i thnk its bs at best at how much damn time it consumes to keep a car looking good. it takes me a good 6 hours to detail my car, and thats not even using a paint cleaner, polish or sealant.... so i guess im toasting my car.

why cant they make a car paint that is easier to take care of... like , wash it off with just soap, dry it, and it never swilrs and always looks just waxed....

My Cars
    Lexus LX470, BMW 323 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by hnoppenberger
    i thnk its bs at best at how much damn time it consumes to keep a car looking good. it takes me a good 6 hours to detail my car, and thats not even using a paint cleaner, polish or sealant.... so i guess im toasting my car.

why cant they make a car paint that is easier to take care of... like , wash it off with just soap, dry it, and it never swilrs and always looks just waxed....
    What are you doing to your car that it takes you six hours to clean it? I would think, once you have the outside cleaned up and sealed/waxed that it wouldn't take much time at all to give it a quick wash and get it looking nice again.

And where do swirls come from? Don't they come from someone rubbing your paint with the wrong product, wrong pad, contaminated surface, etc.? They don't just come back on their own, right?

Please mention what products you're using on your car, as I'd like to make sure I don't use them! Ha!

My Cars
    04 CB M3
    David,
    Just finished the Klasse AIO and SG application this weekend on my silver M3. (tomorrow the third coat is going on)
    Thank you very much for your time and writeup. I cannot be more pleased.

Mike

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by maruscmn
    David,
    Just finished the Klasse AIO and SG application this weekend on my silver M3. (tomorrow the third coat is going on)
    Thank you very much for your time and writeup. I cannot be more pleased.

Mike
    You're welcome.

Glad it worked out well.

My Cars
    2020 Ferrari 488
    I just had my car detailed per your very detailed instructions. It came out beautifully! Very happy and thanks for the advice!

My Cars
    2020 Ferrari 488
    PS: after looking high and low for finnese it 2 I was told that it had to be reformulated for California? I used the 3m which was reformulated and it worked great. Huge difference in price though...

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Chifo Jr
    PS: after looking high and low for finnese it 2 I was told that it had to be reformulated for California? I used the 3m which was reformulated and it worked great. Huge difference in price though...
    You don't have to use Finesse it. There are other polishes that will remove swirls just as well. Some of them contain filler though, so they make it a bit trickier to tell if the swirls have actually been removed.

Either way, I'm glad your detail went well!!

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast