Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK
    Klasse twins is shorthand (I guess) to describe the combination of using

Klasse All-In-One (AIO) and
    Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG)

I don't think they're available through retail channels. Online is your best bet!
    http://www.Autogeek.net has them. They have a Klasse kit that has a bottle of each in it. While your there, get some good microfiber towels, they make a world of differance. The choice of dash treatments seems to be 303 Aerospace protectant. I use it on my M3 and used it on the new S4 I detailed - good stuff. If you type clubmember in the coupon box when ordering, you get a 10% discount.
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    Black
    FredK and Casebrius - thanks for the info.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Hey David,

Had another question for you. I recently placed an order for p21s for $32 from Autogeek and Im glad to see a bunch of reviews saying it is the #1 carnuba...my question to you is that in your article you say that p21s and s100 are the exact same (yet the s100 is only $16)...

Autogeek proudly displays both side by side in the auto wax and sealent section....are they really the EXACT same?

thanks
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
    Hey David,

Had another question for you. I recently placed an order for p21s for $32 from Autogeek and Im glad to see a bunch of reviews saying it is the #1 carnuba...my question to you is that in your article you say that p21s and s100 are the exact same (yet the s100 is only $16)...

Autogeek proudly displays both side by side in the auto wax and sealent section....are they really the EXACT same?

thanks
    Yes, they are the same wax. The only differences are are colour and fragarence.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Sorry David...I promise this will be the last question prior to the detail What are your thoughts on towels with the border wrapped in a sort of silk...can they be used on the exterior paint?

These are the ones I am talking about:

THanks again for all your help.

My Cars
    N/A
    No problem, ask as many questions as you need to. That's why this forum is here!

Those towels look great. The silk border should not be a problem.

My Cars
    Black
    As long as the silk isn't attached with polyester thread...

My Cars
    N/A
    The chances of the threading scratching aren't very great IMO. Now if the whole backing were polyester, then that would be a different story.

My Cars
    Looking at an E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
    What are your thoughts on towels with the border wrapped in a sort of silk...can they be used on the exterior paint?

These are the ones I am talking about:
    I had the chance to use those towels on a black car last weekend with absolutely no problems. I was very impressed with them.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Thanks guys for the info on the towels. I bought a pole light today that consists of two basket lights (500w/each) so that I can definitely see my progress..or so I hope.

I should receive my towels tommorrow from PakShak as well as my P21s from autogeek (wish I had realized before I ordered it that it is the same as s100)...oh well.

Ill be sure to take some photos before and after...

Thanks again for all of the help.

My Cars
    e36 ///m3
    this is the most informative thread i've ever read, on ANY forum.

I followed your advice to a T (and spent an entire day and a ton of cash doing so), and the results were worth every penny...I was able to sell my 13 year old 325is for ASKING price ($10,500) partly because the paint looked like new.

Now that I'm done, though, I've got a serious question about all of the MF towells, bonnets and pads that are sitting around, filthy: can I wash them together?

I'm pretty sure I can get away w/ washing to MF junk together, but i don't know if I should seeing as how they have an assortment of chemicals engrained into their precious micro fibers...and CAN you wash a pad? it is NASTY.

Oh, and last question: how many times do you polish your car a year? i'd think that it wouldn't be the best thing to do too often, seeing as how it eats the clearcoat.

thanks again for the great advice!

My Cars
    N/A
    Hey fdawg, I'm glad everything worked out so well for you!!

As to your questions

Q: Now that I'm done, though, I've got a serious question about all of the MF towells, bonnets and pads that are sitting around, filthy: can I wash them together?

A: This is really personal preference combined with how anal you are. Some people are paranoid about getting wax resig=due on their polishing towels, and vice versa, so they wash them seperately. Others don't care, nor have they noticed a difference. You should be able to wash them together with a no problems. If you have enough towels to do seperate loads (all the polish towels in one, and all the wax in the other) then go for it. If not, like I said, just wash them together. One thing to keep in mind, only wash MF with MF. Don;t mix cotton towels in the load or you'll get lint on every MF towel. Not pretty.

Q: and CAN you wash a pad? it is NASTY.
    A: Wash the pad seperately by HAND. Let it soak in a bucket for 15 - 20 minutes if its really bad. Then start squeezing it (don't wring it). All the polish should come out with no problems.

Q: how many times do you polish your car a year?
    A: This is another subjective question. Depends on the car, polishes used, etc. My general rule is no more than once a year and you shouldn't have to worry about removing too much clear coat.
    Last edited by David; 05-02-2005 at 08:56 PM.

My Cars
    E36 x3
    Hello David,
    I went through your write-up for exterior car detailing and its very detailed on what products to buy and how to use them. I was wondernig if you ever had the chance to make a write-up for the interior? I did a few searches for interior detailing and did not really find any that were very descriptive, with most of them being incomplete. What products(cleaning, protecting,polishing) should I use on the dash, door panels, door panel inserts, seats, rug, interior trim,etc? And what products should not be used to clean the dask,door panels, door panel inserts, seats, rug, interior trim, etc? Just to name a few products simple green, 303, vinylex,meguires leather cleaner and armor-all.
    Thanks!

WTB
    : 94 325is M-Technic

-----> Pm me if you have or know of one. <-----

My Cars
    e36 ///m3
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Hey fdawg, I'm glad everything worked out so well for you!!

As to your questions

Q: Now that I'm done, though, I've got a serious question about all of the MF towells, bonnets and pads that are sitting around, filthy: can I wash them together?

A: This is really personal preference combined with how anal you are. Some people are paranoid about getting wax resig=due on their polishing towels, and vice versa, so they wash them seperately. Others don't care, nor have they noticed a difference. You should be able to wash them together with a no problems. If you have enough towels to do seperate loads (all the polish towels in one, and all the wax in the other) then go for it. If not, like I said, just wash them together. One thing to keep in mind, only wash MF with MF. Don;t mix cotton towels in the load or you'll get lint on every MF towel. Not pretty.

Q: and CAN you wash a pad? it is NASTY.
    A: Wash the pad seperately by HAND. Let it soak in a bucket for 15 - 20 minutes if its really bad. Then start squeezing it (don't wring it). All the polish should come out with no problems.

Q: how many times do you polish your car a year?
    A: This is another subjective question. Depends on the car, polishes used, etc. My general rule is no more than once a year and you shouldn't have to worry about removing too much clear coat.

you're the best -if i'm ever in the great, white north the molsen is on me!

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonStatus
    Hello David,
    I went through your write-up for exterior car detailing and its very detailed on what products to buy and how to use them. I was wondernig if you ever had the chance to make a write-up for the interior? I did a few searches for interior detailing and did not really find any that were very descriptive, with most of them being incomplete. What products(cleaning, protecting,polishing) should I use on the dash, door panels, door panel inserts, seats, rug, interior trim,etc? And what products should not be used to clean the dask,door panels, door panel inserts, seats, rug, interior trim, etc? Just to name a few products simple green, 303, vinylex,meguires leather cleaner and armor-all.
    Thanks!
    I've been meaning to put together an interior detailing article. Give me a few days and I'll put one together.

My Cars
    97 M3/2 , 95 Maxima GLE
    David, when washing you MF towels or pads can you do it with just water and possibly a detergent or do you have to use one of the special cleaner products?

Also do you apply the SG by hand or use your PC?
    1997 Artic Silver M3 - SOLD
    Method Motorwerks CAI, uuc TME, understeer ssk, clears all around, euro projectors, custom exhaust

2004 Dolphin Grey Audi S4
    AWE Exhaust

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxedout
    David, when washing you MF towels or pads can you do it with just water and possibly a detergent or do you have to use one of the special cleaner products?

Everything I have read says that MF towels can be machinewashed so long as it is without a fabric softener. I have read alot about those refreshers or special cleaners that really seem more like gimmicks.

My Cars
    N/A

You can wash them using regular Tide. As said already, do not use fabric softener. Wash in warm water, not hot, and air dry the towels. If you decide to use the dryer do not use any heat. The special MF washes are not bad products, but they are expensive when regular Tide does a good enough job.

I apply SG by hand. The PC will waste more product, but it will product a more even coat.

My Cars
    97 M3/2 , 95 Maxima GLE
    Thanks, and pads are to be hand washed?
    1997 Artic Silver M3 - SOLD
    Method Motorwerks CAI, uuc TME, understeer ssk, clears all around, euro projectors, custom exhaust

2004 Dolphin Grey Audi S4
    AWE Exhaust

My Cars
    Bay Area Rapid Transit
    yea its real easy to clean the pads, just soak em in water for a while then squeeze all the polish out. faster than it sounds

My Cars
    N/A
    Thanks, and pads are to be hand washed?
    See post 137!

My Cars
    2002 Solara
    I'm going to get the PC 7424 from coastaltool in a few days, but have some questions before I do.

1. Are these pads at properautocare ok? http://www.properautocare.com/classi...12infopaa.html

I am planning on getting 2 yellow, 2 white, and one black or red (is the black the same pad as the gray pad referenced earlier in this thread?).

2. I have paint overspray in a 1 x 2 area on my roof from a body shop visit. Earlier in the thread body shop clay was mentioned, but would 3M Fi2 have any chance of getting off the overspray before trying body shop clay? I tried regular clay on it when I was not sure of what it was and it didn't do anything.

Thanks

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by aleath
    I'm going to get the PC 7424 from coastaltool in a few days, but have some questions before I do.

1. Are these pads at properautocare ok? http://www.properautocare.com/classi...12infopaa.html

I am planning on getting 2 yellow, 2 white, and one black or red (is the black the same pad as the gray pad referenced earlier in this thread?).

2. I have paint overspray in a 1 x 2 area on my roof from a body shop visit. Earlier in the thread body shop clay was mentioned, but would 3M Fi2 have any chance of getting off the overspray before trying body shop clay? I tried regular clay on it when I was not sure of what it was and it didn't do anything.

Thanks
    Yes, the pads are ok.

Yes, the balck and gray pads are the same.

FI2 will not touch the overspray. Get some bosyshop clay.

My Cars
    mbusa

Question Porter cable 7336 question

Hi,

I just bought the porter cable 7336. (with the 6" counterweight)

What backing pate / pad should I get with it?

1. Should I get the 6" backing plate with 6 / 6.5" foam pads OR
    3. The 6" backing plate with 7.5" pad
    OR
    2. The 5 inch backing plate with 6 / 6.5" pads AND the 5" counterweight?

Please advise

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajknair
    Hi,

I just bought the porter cable 7336. (with the 6" counterweight)

2. The 5 inch backing plate with 6 / 6.5" pads AND the 5" counterweight?
    I have the 7336 and chose to keep the 6" counterweight but use a 5" flexible backing plate. The machine runs very well and I would certainly recommend this setup.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast