Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I just did a big detail of my interior 2 weeks ago. It came out very nice. I'm gonna write an article of my own based on my method/experience. I'll just paste it into here.

David.
    Okey Dokey....Here's my article in case anyone wants to look at it

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=163177

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by myavus318ti
    Okey Dokey....Here's my article in case anyone wants to look at it

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=163177
    That's cool. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as not wanting your article. Good stuff!

David.

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    That's cool. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as not wanting your article. Good stuff!

David.
    No problem More information is always good, I think

My Cars
    1995 M3
    My wheels have a chrome lip.
    I've noticed several times when just wiping the dust from them scratches will appear even with MF towels.
    I haven't been diligent in my approach since I haven't even washed the car in the 2 weeks I've had them on.
    What do I use to remove the scratches?. I have a PC, but I'm looking for a method where I don't have to break out the polisher every time I want to wipe them down.

My Cars
    N/A
    Balthazarr,

If the chrome is soft enough you may be able to use a polish by hand to remove the scratches. Grab something out of your arsenal and give it a shot. Other than that, I don't know what else to recommend.

David.

My Cars
    BMW 316i E36 2000
    I just did a big detail of my interior 2 weeks ago. It came out very nice. I'm gonna write an article of my own based on my method/experience. I'll just paste it into here.

David.
    Hi David,

Interested in seeing the interior article, your tips so far have been super.

Cheers.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW316i
    Hi David,

Interested in seeing the interior article, your tips so far have been super.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the kind words. I have yet to write the article. I haven't had much time lately. Hopefully I can put something together soon.

David.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3, 2003 Lincoln Aviator, 2001 Audi S4
    David,

I just got a new 04 M3 from the dealer. Its Jet Black and there arent any swirl marks BUT the hood and trunk have a haze in direct sunlight.. WHY!? Did the dealership use an orbital on it or something? I read in your post to use a mild polish to take these out. Should I follow your process minus the harsh polish to protect my new car and remove the haze?

Tom

My Cars
    N/A
    Tom, does the haze look like 3D holgraphic lines? If so, you will need to use FI2 to remove them. Klasse AIO will not be enough. Try FI2 with a PC and polihing pad. If that doesn't not do the trick try FI2 and a cutting pad.

Those lines came about when the dealer prepped your car. They most likely used a rotary buffer to remove the wax when they waxed it for you. Lazy bastards. They just did more harm than good. It's easy to screw up paint with a rotary if not very careful.

David.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3, 2003 Lincoln Aviator, 2001 Audi S4
    Tom, does the haze look like 3D holgraphic lines? If so, you will need to use FI2 to remove them. Klasse AIO will not be enough. Try FI2 with a PC and polihing pad. If that doesn't not do the trick try FI2 and a cutting pad.

Those lines came about when the dealer prepped your car. They most likely used a rotary buffer to remove the wax when they waxed it for you. Lazy bastards. They just did more harm than good. It's easy to screw up paint with a rotary if not very careful.

David.
    David,

Unfortunately yes, they look like one of those Xmen cards I collected as a kid. Kind of makes you dizzy to look at them. FI2 can remove this or will it just make it better? Id be really mad to have hosed paint on such a new car.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

My Cars
    01 330i
    David,

Thanks for taking the time to write this all up. I haven't done it yet as I've only owned my car for 2 days, but I intend to try it this weeked! Cheers!

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by theorem
    David,

Unfortunately yes, they look like one of those Xmen cards I collected as a kid. Kind of makes you dizzy to look at them. FI2 can remove this or will it just make it better? Id be really mad to have hosed paint on such a new car.

Thanks for your time.

Tom
    FI2 will remove them. You'll need a PC. See the PC polishing article.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Trepan
    David,

Thanks for taking the time to write this all up. I haven't done it yet as I've only owned my car for 2 days, but I intend to try it this weeked! Cheers!
    Your welcome.

My Cars
    -
    Thanks David. This thread helped out a bunch.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    David, I like to offer my thanks for the great info, too. And ask another question.

Do you recommend Klasse AIO&SG for light colored cars like my Titanium Silver 530? Is there something else that would look better?

I currently have a couple of coats of Meguiars Gold Class wax on the car, but I would like a little more shine. And I would like to use the sealant for winter protection.

It doesn't appear to have any swirls, so I would apply the AIO by hand.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530
    David, I like to offer my thanks for the great info, too. And ask another question.

Do you recommend Klasse AIO&SG for light colored cars like my Titanium Silver 530? Is there something else that would look better?

I currently have a couple of coats of Meguiars Gold Class wax on the car, but I would like a little more shine. And I would like to use the sealant for winter protection.

It doesn't appear to have any swirls, so I would apply the AIO by hand.
    Steve,

AIO + SG will look great on your silver car. I use the combo on my Dad's silver Olds and it looks very reflective. I think you'll be very happy with it.

David.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Thanks for the reply David, I'll give it a try this Fall.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    In your section on washing the car you indicate:

Gently glide the mitt over the paint. Try not to apply pressure. The weight of your arm should be enough. Go in a front to back motion, NOT circular.

What do you do for things like caked on dirt or bugs on the front bumper?
    If you have the means to play, then play.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by tliu69
    In your section on washing the car you indicate:

Gently glide the mitt over the paint. Try not to apply pressure. The weight of your arm should be enough. Go in a front to back motion, NOT circular.

What do you do for things like caked on dirt or bugs on the front bumper?
    Those will definitely require some elbow grease. Just use your best judgement. If pressure is needed, then do apply some. If there is no caked on dirt to remove, then just use the weight of your arm.

If you have rally bad tar and bug stains, you may want to try a dedicated tar and bug remover. 3M makes one that is quite strong. You will need to re-wax/seal the area after using it.

David.

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    One more HUGE thanks!

When applying the wax do you do it by hand or with the polisher? The wax I use is Meguiars Cleaner wax, should I not be using a cleaner wax? And I also use Meguiars quick detailer spray, is that okay?

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanks21
    One more HUGE thanks!

When applying the wax do you do it by hand or with the polisher? The wax I use is Meguiars Cleaner wax, should I not be using a cleaner wax? And I also use Meguiars quick detailer spray, is that okay?
    I wax by hand. I find it easier/faster than by machine, and I also use less of it. YMMV though. Give both a shot and see which you like best.

Cleaner waxes are not *bad*. But if you are detailing enthusiast who goes through multiple steps then there is no need for a cleaner wax. Most enthusiasts will use a seperate dedicated cleaner. Cleaner waxes were made more for people who could care less about detailing. People who just want something quick and convenient. If you don;t use a dedicated cleaner (ex. AIO) then I would suggest using a cleaner wax. Reasoning for this is because if you use a pure carnuba wax on an unclean surface, you will just be 'locking' in the dirt. If you use the cleaner wax, at least the surface will get some cleaning along with the waxing.

Does that make sense? I hope so. If not let me know.

David.

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Absolutely. I just bought some AIO so Ill use separate cleaning and waxing products. Thanks again!

My Cars
    95 M3
    How to: Properly Dry your Car

Seeing that I've been getting some PM's from people about detailing, I thought I would go ahead and post some basic "How To" articles. The second installment pertains to drying our cars after washing them.

Once you have completed washing your car you should remove the nozzle from the hose. Turn the water on and let it fall on the horizontal surfaces starting from the roof, and working down to the trunk and hood. This will sheet most of the water off the paint. Once the water has finished sheeting, take a quality cotton or MF towel and blot the remaining water off your paint. Try not to rub. Rubbing is the enemy, even on clean paint. It is still possible to create micro scratches while drying if rubbing.

Use separate towels to dry the rims, paint, glass, and door jambs. If you dry immediately after you wash then you should not get any water spots on your windows, eliminating the need to use ammonia based window cleaners.

To view the original thread and read the discussion, see the following link:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hreadid=113671
    David,

This will be my first big detail, but after every wash, my car always has a massive amount of water remaining on it. What I'm trying to ask is, should I still use the blotting technique? I recently bought a 75/25 MF WW towel if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfbunk
    David,

This will be my first big detail, but after every wash, my car always has a massive amount of water remaining on it. What I'm trying to ask is, should I still use the blotting technique? I recently bought a 75/25 MF WW towel if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
    Once you actually do the detail and use good protective product like klasse or zaino, you will notice much less water on your car. Try blotting first. If you are not happy, then go ahead and wipe gently. The WW's are pretty soft, so it shouldn't be a huge issue. The technique outlined above is the best way to avoid drying swirls.

David.

My Cars
    95 M3
    David,

I purchased the PC7424 along with the Meguiar's 5" backing plate (MG-W64DA),but as I polish, the PC vibrates quite a lot (up to the point where my arms/hands get very itchy). Is this what it's supposed to do? Or did I purchase the wrong backing plate?

I apologize for asking so many questions.
    Thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast