Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    Holy moly! That looks waaaay better! Did you do it by hand or with a polisher?
    You can see the polisher at the lower right of his picture.
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325I
    This is very helpful! Thank you!

My Cars
    1998 TV ///M3
    Excellent writeup. Definitly will be a great reference come spring's detail. These weekly washes just arent doing it

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by beamy2004 View Post
    This is very helpful! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADUM View Post
    Excellent writeup. Definitly will be a great reference come spring's detail. These weekly washes just arent doing it
    Thank you!

10 years later and this thread is still going! Time flies.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528I XDrive
    Question: If I have my car Opti-Coated, can Zaino products still bond to that? It would be polymer on polymer which I believe might not work. If thats the case what does one do after an opti coat besides regular washing?

I have a few questions: after applying Klasse sealant will it be removed after taking the vehicle through a touchless wash? Can the sealant be used on my rims? ('13 Accord Sport). The windshield of my '08 Rav4 has a ton of little specs in it, what's the best way to remove them? I tried claybar with no luck.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    Let the sealant cure for at least 24 hours (or better, a week) before any kind of washing or topping it off with wax. You can seal the rims. The windshield is probably pitted. Only way to fix is to replace.
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

Quote Originally Posted by cosM3os View Post
    Let the sealant cure for at least 24 hours (or better, a week) before any kind of washing or topping it off with wax. You can seal the rims. The windshield is probably pitted. Only way to fix is to replace.
    What if it rains?
    Using Tapatalk

I took it in for an oil change and the dealer washed it by hand. when I told them not to. Should I re-apply sealant? I added it 2 days ago.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    Na, you're good. You should apply more than one coat--I do 3. Full detail finishing with first coat. Next weekend, wash and coat 2. Next weekend, wash and coat 3. Next weekend, wash and wax. 3 coats lasts all summer (may to October). Do it again in October and it lasts all winter.
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

Na, you're good. You should apply more than one coat--I do 3. Full detail finishing with first coat. Next weekend, wash and coat 2. Next weekend, wash and coat 3. Next weekend, wash and wax. 3 coats lasts all summer (may to October). Do it again in October and it lasts all winter.
    Did you ever try this?
    http://www.autogeekmobile.net/ultima...rd-plus-4.html
    Using Tapatalk

Have you ever tried Ultima Paint Guard Plus ?
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    02/330ci
    This is one of the best posts I've read.....well done! I appreciate the information!

My Cars
    02-M5&530i
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Update - April 25 Removed vendor links from article. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Update - January 12, 2006 I've copied the updated version of Detailing 101 from another site I frequent and posted it here. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm going to consolidate all of the articles I've written into one giant thread. I'll ask one of the mods to park it at the top, hopefully permanently. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL DETAILER, NOR DO I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE. I AM SOLELY A DETAILING HOBBYIST WHO IS CONSTANTLY PURSUING THE PERFECT SHINE. I IN NO WAY CAN OR WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE (MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU POTENTIALLY CAUSE TO YOUR CAR BY TAKING THE ADVICE GIVEN BY MYSELF IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU USE MY SUGGESTIONS YOU ARE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ How to: Properly Clay your Car Make sure you have thoroughly washed and dried your car prior to claying. Cut the clay bar in half. Take the half and cut it into 15 equal pieces: 2 for the hood 2 for the roof 1 for the trunk lid 1 for the trunk rear and rear bumper 2 for the rear quarter panels (1 per side) 4 for the doors (1 per door)(if you have a sedan) 2 for the front fenders (1 per side) 1 for the front of the car Take the piece and roll it in to a sphere. Take the sphere and flatten it out into a circle so that it covers the top third of your first two fingers. Spray the first section of the roof with quick detailer. Glide the clay across the area in a front to back motion applying some pressure. Work in 2x2 areas. If you feel your fingers going through the clay, then you are pushing too hard. If the clay is streaking on the paint, then you need more QD. While gliding, you should hear a slight noise and feel some resistance. This is the grit being lifted from the paint. When the resistance and noise stops, dry the QD off with a quality towel. Move onto the next 2x2 section and do the same thing. Once half the section is done, flip the clay over and do the other half of the section. Once the section has been completed throw the piece of clay away. It is too contaminated to use on another section. If you do use it, you will most likely put micro scratches in your clear. Keep working your way down using each dedicated piece for its area. Flip the clay over when you have completed half a section. Throw the clay away when the section is done. When complete your car should be as smooth as glass. The next steps should be to remove the swirls (if necessary), remove any hazing from polishing/bring out the full gloss, and seal in the rejuvenated finish with a wax or sealant. A gigantic thanks goes out to Brad B. who outlined this method to a bunch of us a few years ago. I have been using it ever since. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ That's it! The entire series in one thread. I will add/change each article as I find new information and techniques. David.
    FIRST A MASSIVE THANKS. THIS IS A SOLID GOLD POST!!

For the clay bat are you cutting then 80g bar in two or using one 80g bar as you half?

Thanks!

Thanks for all this info. Very interesting stuff. Would you know how much material and what materials would you recommend for redoing the seats of a 1998 520i?

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I created a blog post about my favorite detailing products, check it out:

5 Essential BMW Detailing Products

My Cars
    00 520i touring. 94 XJR.
    That is excellent info. No mention of car wash brushes or chamois leathers, so I suppose they are verboten?

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipptone View Post
    That is excellent info. No mention of car wash brushes or chamois leathers, so I suppose they are verboten?
    Yeah I just chose five of my favorite must-have products. For paint I can't ever recommend using a brush. It's standard practice to use a very soft microfiber wash mit or sponge. As for the leather style chamois I never liked them. In my experience the synthetic ones work much better and are much softer.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122