Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by T56 Impala
    Okay so I goofed. I re clayed and AIO'ed the hood again to try the yellow pad. Things got crazy here so I had to stop and left it outside instead of putting it in the garage. And...it rained. How badly did I mess up? Do I need to reclay the hood? Or just wsh it and move forward. The car is covered with pollen, water spots and god knows what else. Please help.
    You don't have to reclay. Just wash and finish off when the weather is better. No big deal at all. You didn't goof. If the yellow pad is not working out for you, just use the orange pad with a finer polish and re seal.

My Cars
    98 323IS
    ok so is this the method i need to use
    this is on a 1998 323is with artic silver paint

wash->>clay->rewash->scratchX where needed->Klasse AIO->Klasse SG->wax

do i need a polish?

is this correct i realy dont want to mess anything up

and i do not have a pc so this will all be done by hand

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by crzysnake135
    ok so is this the method i need to use
    this is on a 1998 323is with artic silver paint

wash->>clay->rewash->scratchX where needed->Klasse AIO->Klasse SG->wax

do i need a polish?

is this correct i realy dont want to mess anything up

and i do not have a pc so this will all be done by hand
    Yeah, that's correct. ScratchX is polish. You're cool.

im bumping this because it should be stickied anyway
    john
    98 m3/4

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    It was stickied at one time. I wonder how it became unstuck?
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Yeah, that's correct. ScratchX is polish. You're cool.
    should i use a PC with the scratch X or by hand? same question for AIO? oh and what pads should i use with each ?
    -Ivan

My Cars
    93 325i Saloon !
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530
    It was stickied at one time. I wonder how it became unstuck?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Subscribed now
    1993 BMW 325i Mod list:Replica M-Mirrors|Um-nitza Predator Chromium|M3 Replica Bumper|Clears All Around|Spoiler|Wide Euro Kidney Grille|Bf.c Decal |Clear Fogs|Velocity Splitters|M3 Sport Side Skirts|M-Tec Side Moldings|LTW Flag (hood)|Rieger Infinity 1 Rear Bumper|OCW ACS type III Repo

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot555
    I was wondering the same thing.

Subscribed now
    That's a good question. I wonder why this thread was unstickied? I think its helped a lot of members with thier details.

Jason, since you are the mod of this forum, would you happen to know the reason for un-stickying the thread?

Thanks.

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    That's a good question. I wonder why this thread was unstickied? I think its helped a lot of members with thier details.

Jason, since you are the mod of this forum, would you happen to know the reason for un-stickying the thread?

Thanks.
    +2

This thread has helped me so much it's not even funny. Please re-sticky it! Thank you David for the wonderful info it provides!
    2007 335i Space Grey Coupe
    2009 128i Alpine Weiss

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.

Just a few more questions.

As you have answered all the other silly questions I have had, I thought I'd throw a few more at you.

1. For the beginner, What is the most common mistake make when it comes to the amount of polish/AIO used?

2. Which part of the pad should the user be concentrate on using? 9-12 position, 12-3, 3-6, 6-9 or the whole pad?

3. For the newbs here, can you run down the order, by how aggressive they are?

4. How long should you work a section? The write up says until it starts to dry, but when is that? Would the product be thick on the area or almost gone at that time?

5. When working on mt car, hitting things like the windshield trim/seal get the yellow pad "black". Should you stop and clean the pad immediately?

6. Can the pads be used damp say, if I Stopped and cleaned the pad then started again before the pad fully dried?

7. Can The QD be use as a pad wetter?

Thanks, Again!

My Cars
    N/A
    Q: For the beginner, What is the most common mistake make when it comes to the amount of polish/AIO used?
    A: Using too much product

Q: Which part of the pad should the user be concentrate on using? 9-12 position, 12-3, 3-6, 6-9 or the whole pad?
    A: For swirl removal focus on using the whole pad. For scratches that you want to minimize, use 9-12 or 12-3.

Q: For the newbs here, can you run down the order, by how aggressive they are?
    A: Flat vs. tilted pad serve different functions, so how agressive one is over the other is not important.

Q: How long should you work a section? The write up says until it starts to dry, but when is that? Would the product be thick on the area or almost gone at that time?
    A: Once the product clears up or begins to dust it is usually 'dry'. The amount of time it takes for this happen varies by polish, pad used, speed used.

Q: When working on mt car, hitting things like the windshield trim/seal get the yellow pad "black". Should you stop and clean the pad immediately?
    A: No, you don't have to. It's just discolouration, not debris that will cause new swirls.

Q: Can the pads be used damp say, if I Stopped and cleaned the pad then started again before the pad fully dried?
    A: They can be used damp. I wouldn't use them soaking wet though.

Q: Can The QD be use as a pad wetter?
    A: Absolutely. I believe I recommended this in the original article.

My Cars
    E39

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    should i use a PC with the scratch X or by hand? same question for AIO? oh and what pads should i use with each ?
    david can you answer this...
    -Ivan

My Cars
    N/A
    david can you answer this...
    Oops, missed that post.

I've never heard of anyone using scratch X with a PC. I think scratch x was intended to be used by hand. However, you can certainly try using it with a PC. It wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

AIO can be used by hand or PC.

If used by PC, use a foam polishing pad for both.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Oops, missed that post.

I've never heard of anyone using scratch X with a PC. I think scratch x was intended to be used by hand. However, you can certainly try using it with a PC. It wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

AIO can be used by hand or PC.

If used by PC, use a foam polishing pad for both.
    what polish, if any, do you suggest using before AIO? a more abrasive one maybe...
    i'm going to clay my car, wash it, then i want to polish with something before going to aio and sg.... is finesse it 2 good enough ? oh and if i want to use both finesse it 2 and scratch x before aio, which one do i do first ? thanks
    -Ivan

My Cars
    N/A
    what polish, if any, do you suggest using before AIO? a more abrasive one maybe...
    i'm going to clay my car, wash it, then i want to polish with something before going to aio and sg.... is finesse it 2 good enough ? oh and if i want to use both finesse it 2 and scratch x before aio, which one do i do first ? thanks
    I have all this laid in the 101 on the first page.

Use Menzerna IP or Finesse IT if you have a lot of swirls and want more bite. You can try both with a polishing or cutting pad, depending on swirl severity. No, you don't need to use both scratch X and FI or IP. You can do a wash, clay, FI/IP, AIO, SG. If you have mild swirls/spiderwebs than Zaino ZPC applied with a polishing pad is what I would reccomend.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    I have all this laid in the 101 on the first page.

Use Menzerna IP or Finesse IT if you have a lot of swirls and want more bite. You can try both with a polishing or cutting pad, depending on swirl severity. No, you don't need to use both scratch X and FI or IP. You can do a wash, clay, FI/IP, AIO, SG. If you have mild swirls/spiderwebs than Zaino ZPC applied with a polishing pad is what I would reccomend.
    thanks
    -Ivan

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    ttt

mods, please re-sticky this!
    2007 335i Space Grey Coupe
    2009 128i Alpine Weiss

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.

Another question

Okay, So my car looks FANTASTIC!!!!!! Well, its full of rock chips, but I am so dazzled by the shine and depth that I don't even care! Now for the question:

I ordered a pad "kit". In the box there were several things included that you never mentioned in the artical and have not been mentioned as questions. Wat are these for?

MF Pad covers

Terry Pad covers

A "wool" Pad cover,

and two pad covers that remind me of a hospital gown.

Also, when applying the s100, do you use the terry or foam applicator pads and does the s100 have dry time?

Thanks,

All smiles here!

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by T56 Impala
    Okay, So my car looks FANTASTIC!!!!!! Well, its full of rock chips, but I am so dazzled by the shine and depth that I don't even care! Now for the question:

I ordered a pad "kit". In the box there were several things included that you never mentioned in the artical and have not been mentioned as questions. Wat are these for?

MF Pad covers

Terry Pad covers

A "wool" Pad cover,

and two pad covers that remind me of a hospital gown.

Also, when applying the s100, do you use the terry or foam applicator pads and does the s100 have dry time?

Thanks,

All smiles here!
    Your welcome. Glad things worked out.

The pad covers, be it MF, Terry, etc, are mainly used for removing wax or sealant if you choose to do so with the PC. Since I don't recommend this, I never bothered mentioning them in the article.

S100 can be applied with any applicator of your choice. There is no right or wrong type of app to use. Use whichever you like better.

S100 has no dry time. Apply it to a panel and wipe it off immediately.

My Cars
    98 323IS
    how long should i wait to wax my car after i have applied the three layers of sg???????????????

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    how long should i wait to wax my car after i have applied the three layers of sg???????????????
    a day should be fine
    -Ivan

My Cars
    N/A
    As said already, 24 hours should be good. Make sure you wash your car before waxing it if you have driven it anywhere. If it has not been driven than a quick QD'ing should be good before the waxing.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe, 1983 533i

Excellent Thread

This thread is AWESOME. I learned so much, (and it only took me a few hours to read ) Thanks!

Andy

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by arjog
    This thread is AWESOME. I learned so much, (and it only took me a few hours to read ) Thanks!

Andy
    Glad you learned something from the thread.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast