Thread: abs and asc lights on intermittently

My Cars
    98 M3/4

abs and asc lights on intermittently

My abs and asc lights come on every other day or so. When I restart the car, they don't come back on. I had the codes checked. It sounds like a ton of different faults were stored. So I assume it is not just a bad sensor. Thoughts?

My Cars
    whatever is there
    try checking to see if ur alternator is charging, that might be it
    This shop ripped me off and they'll rip you off too!
    ~~~> Autobahn EBAY ID: 1autobahn1
    444 Vernon Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
    619-444-2290

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Could also be metal filing buildup on the ABS sensors, water/corrosion in the plugs, or other connector problem in the ABS/ASC system. The wheel speed sensors do double duty for both ABS and ASC on cars so equipped.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    E36 M3/4
    When was the last time you had your brake fluid flushed? I've heard of valves sticking in the ABS pump in the past due to water in the system.
    Also you may want to check the alternator as mentioned before. I think the easiest way to check the voltage while the car is running is through the climate control system...(correct me if I'm wrong), but pressing the "auto" and "rear defrost" buttons at the same time accessing certain information. Using the fan (+/-) keys scroll to number 11.......this should read off the current voltage as either 140 or 145, which translates to 14.0 or 14.5.
    Hope that helps......(oh, to exit press "Auto" and "recirc" button at the same time)

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Check the brake pedal pressure sensor...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    The brake fluid just got changed - no effect.

Where is the brake pedal pressure sensor?

My Cars
    Yes
    Do cars without DSC have a brake pedal pressure sensor?

My Cars
    Estoril M3 Coupe
    This happens to me on very hot days when my car has been sitting in the sun. Since it goes away after I restart my car, I haven't really worried about it...sounds like I've been using computers too long.

I brought my car in to the dealer for it once. They dicked around w/it for a day and 'fixed' it under CPO warrantee. It happened again w/in a couple days.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    Okay. I checked the alternator as instructed above. It reads between 125 at the lowest and 135 at the highest. Usually it is around 130-135. Is this the problem?

My Cars
    whatever is there
    it should be runnin at about 13.4 volts or so, around there
    This shop ripped me off and they'll rip you off too!
    ~~~> Autobahn EBAY ID: 1autobahn1
    444 Vernon Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
    619-444-2290

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    so mine is normal?

My Cars
    98 M3/4

okay

My mechanic read the codes again. It is the brake pedal pressure sensor. What is it? Where is it? And how much will this cost me?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Re: okay

Originally posted by dmw
    My mechanic read the codes again. It is the brake pedal pressure sensor. What is it? Where is it? And how much will this cost me?
    IIRC...

The part is located below the brake resevoir in the engine compartment. The part is about $70-100 (it has been about 2 years since I had the part replaced). It took about 1 - 1.5 hours to replace the part...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?