Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soda Blasted Manifolds....Doesn't Look Right

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    Whatever you do to get them clean, you will still have to treat them with something afterwards or they will deteriorate very quickly as bare aluminium. Whether its paint, lacquer or powdercoat, you will not be able to leave them as bare alloy as they will powder up and scab within weeks if you do not keep continuously cleaning them.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Tech View Post
    Whatever you do to get them clean, you will still have to treat them with something afterwards or they will deteriorate very quickly as bare aluminium. Whether its paint, lacquer or powdercoat, you will not be able to leave them as bare alloy as they will powder up and scab within weeks if you do not keep continuously cleaning them.
    Is that a British thing? I had mine blasted over 2 years ago and they still look the same. Takes nothing more than the occasional rinse with water, but as for any scrubbing or polishing - just doesn't need it.
    Now, if you have highly polished intakes, that is a whole different story.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Harry8 View Post
    I cannot help the feeling that the company that made your intakes was not accurate enough!
    After 3 intake sets that I got soda blasted the result was always presentable!
    Harry, I totally agree with you; I believe that they just didn't do a good job blasting them, and that is why I will not be taking them back to the same company. I have found another company here in Austin that will blast them with walnut shells. I'm waiting on a final quote from them but they initially told me that it would cost $240 to blast both intakes with the walnut shells.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
    Harry, I totally agree with you; I believe that they just didn't do a good job blasting them, and that is why I will not be taking them back to the same company. I have found another company here in Austin that will blast them with walnut shells. I'm waiting on a final quote from them but they initially told me that it would cost $240 to blast both intakes with the walnut shells.
    Ryan,
    The first set of intakes I had blasted cost about $75, the second set (different company) was $50. I would seriously look around before you commit to the $240....
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Ryan,
    The first set of intakes I had blasted cost about $75, the second set (different company) was $50. I would seriously look around before you commit to the $240....
    Oh, I know. Told the guy he was out of his mind at that price because I had just gotten 2 intakes soda blasted and 2 valve covers soda blasted and powder coated for way less than $240. There's no way I'd pay anywhere close to $240 for 2 intakes to be blasted.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Dunno what all the fuss is about. I get mine done in less than an hour in my garage with no blasting at all and for a total cost of around $25 for the pair.

Raw manifold

Tools of the trade

Generous Tal-Strip Application - let sit for 10-15 minutes - avoid skin contact - this stuff is caustic - I wear rubber gloves

After using a toothbrush to free up all the crap, including grease and oil, followed by a generous hosing down with the cold yard hose - warm might work better

After drying thoroughly (I use air and a towel), spray with ALB-1

Masked off and ready to paint the contrasting highlights

Highlighted area painted with Schwartz 3

Tape and paper removed, ready for palm sander on the raised areas

Finished product...

Both products used were sourced at my local Auto Parts Shop. The ALB-1 is very hardy and withstands grease and oil and handling.

Before and after side by side comparison...

I did my intakes this way almost 5 years ago and clean/wipe down my engine bay regularly. The ALB shows no signs of wear or chipping and is basically maintenance free.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Wuffer; 01-09-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    97 840Ci Individual
    I love your engine bay so much

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    Dunno what all the fuss is about. I get mine done in less than an hour in my garage with no blasting at all and for a total cost of around $25 for the pair.

Raw manifold

Tools of the trade

Generous Tal-Strip Application - let sit for 10-15 minutes - avoid skin contact - this stuff is caustic - I wear rubber gloves

After using a toothbrush to free up all the crap, including grease and oil, followed by a generous hosing down with the cold yard hose - warm might work better

After drying thoroughly (I use air and a towel), spray with ALB-1

Masked off and ready to paint the contrasting highlights

Highlighted area painted with Schwartz 3

Tape and paper removed, ready for palm sander on the raised areas

Finished product...

Both products used were sourced at my local Auto Parts Shop. The ALB-1 is very hardy and withstands grease and oil and handling.

Before and after side by side comparison...

I did my intakes this way almost 5 years ago and clean/wipe down my engine bay regularly. The ALB shows no signs of wear or chipping and is basically maintenance free.

Cheers!
    Well I think I just found the solution to my problem! Wuffer, have you ever had any problems with that ALB-1 rubbing off or chipping? Also, what type of paint was the Schwartz 3? Was it thesame ALB-1 product? Thanks a million!
    Last edited by Ziminskas; 01-09-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Corrected Punctuation
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    No real problems with the ALB-1 and if it does get chipped or marked, just touch it up with a brush. The Schwartz paint I used was colour matched rattlecan from Paul at Strong-Strut where I get all my colour match paint. That being said, any name brand automotive paint will work just fine as the contrast colour on the intakes. I used Tamiya model car paint on my intakes when I did them as I did not have any other Red available at the time. Brushed it on by hand. In spite of popular theory, the intakes do not get hot enuff to melt or burn the paint. Havent touched mine up since I installed them.
    Likewise, the paint on my M73 engine cover is also Strong-Strut supplied colour match paint - no problems there with heat either.
    Cheers!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Should I look to use the ALB-1 or the ALB-1HT? Did you also spray your DK's with it?
    Last edited by Ziminskas; 01-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    I just use the ALB-1 as seen in the pictures I posted. So far no issues. Yes, I did my DK's as well. I may try the ALB-1HT for my exhaust manifolds at some point.

My Cars
    19 850i 94 325i
    Did a good cleaning same product Tom used and a sovent and Mothers aluminium polish mixed together then a polish by hand. Taped off all areas to be painted first. very easy to keep clean just a quick wipe down.

Painted to match the car with PPG automotive paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Well, both your your bays look incredible. As soon as i get mine done, I'll post up some pics and see how I match up
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Would you say that this is a good idea to get it blasted with sand or soda?

My Cars
    1994 525I, 1993 850Ci
    I used metal stripper, don't have to worry about getting anything inside.
    1983 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 Pontiac fiero SE
    1993 BMW 850CI
    1994 BMW 525I

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    Just got my car back from some paint work last weekend. One of the things I had done was the acoustic cover. Still needs a bath under there but thought I would go ahead and post it.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i, 1976 Nova
    Quote Originally Posted by viperrt10 View Post
    If you like the stock look of the manifold take them to a good powdercoater and powdercoat them "sparkle silver" here are a couple of pics I took when I did my valve stem seals

Attachment 363459

Attachment 363460

Attachment 363461
    lookin sweet !! i just had mine powder coated same colors...
    "...i haven't taken leave of my senses Bob, I've come to them..." -- Ebenezer Scrooge

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Just reviewing some threads in regards to finishing intake manifolds. Aren't parts usually sand-blasted or blasted with some kind of media before shops powdercoat the pieces? I wonder how they get parts cleaned of media before they are painted? Seems like there would be media inside manifolds unless open ends are taped off.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by lawlshane View Post
    I love your engine bay so much
    Help please! Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack but I have not been able to solve the Photobucket problem. Lawlshane, I assume you can see Wuffer's pictures, did you do anything special with photobucket? For me all Wuffer's pics are Photobucket 3rd Party warnings. I did a search and saw shoguns replies in another post but I didn't see any solution. I have a free 2gb Photobucket account. Any tips?
    Last edited by pollack138; 10-25-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12