Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soda Blasted Manifolds....Doesn't Look Right

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5

Soda Blasted Manifolds....Doesn't Look Right

Hey guys,
    After months of this company holding on to my manifolds because they had to "clean" their machines, I finally got my soda blasted intakes back; there's an issue though. My intakes look like they have mold on them; the soda blasters said that the spots on the manifolds are from the aluminum oxidizing. They claim that in order to remove the oxidation, they would need to blast them with a harder media than "soda." They offered to sand blast them (and I quickly shot down that idea) or blast them with aluminum phosphate (they said that it was basically aluminum flakes that they would be blasting with.) I knew to stay away from the sand, but I'm not too educated on if blasting them again in aluminum phosphate would be detrimental to my car's well being. Is there maybe something that I could use to get the oxidation off myself? A chemical or something? I know you guys will have your own input and as always, I appreciate it. Thanks!
    -Ryan

Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    91 850i
    If it truly is mold, take some household bleach on a rag and give them a good scrub...for your health's sake! Bleach is 100% effective in killing them.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    If it truly is mold, take some household bleach on a rag and give them a good scrub...for your health's sake! Bleach is 100% effective in killing them.
    No, it's not mold at all; it's the aluminum oxidizing after having oil caked on it for years by the previous owner who took very little care of the vehicle I took these manifolds from. I just said that it looks like mold sort of. Sorry for the confusion.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    850ci
    Try walnut shells: more aggressive, but won't tear up the delicate aluminum.
    1997 Cosmos Black 850 Ci somewhere on PCH.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Anything softer than steel is ok. WHY?
    If some of the blasting material gets inside the manifolds it may enter the cylinder from there later on. If it's harder than steel you can imagine what is going to happen. That's why glass pearls are a clear no no unless it's done with extreme caution. I've done it but did it myself and would never ever trust anyone else to do it.

A good idea is also to remove all residue from inside the manifolds because that's where the blasting media sticks to.

Another option is to get them powder coated now. Than the stains shouldn't matter.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    Anything softer than steel is ok. WHY?
    If some of the blasting material gets inside the manifolds it may enter the cylinder from there later on. If it's harder than steel you can imagine what is going to happen. That's why glass pearls are a clear no no unless it's done with extreme caution. I've done it but did it myself and would never ever trust anyone else to do it.

A good idea is also to remove all residue from inside the manifolds because that's where the blasting media sticks to.

Another option is to get them powder coated now. Than the stains shouldn't matter.
    Yes, I understand why we can't blast the manifolds with materials like sand or glass and thank you for the additional information. I thought about powder coating them black but I do like the look of the original aluminum. What about plastic media? They also offered that as an option. Thanks again.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    plastic should be fine. Did they soda blast them internally as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
    ....I thought about powder coating them black .....
    like this?

Last edited by wokke; 01-05-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mark850 is offline Life begins at 145mph.... Moderator
    My Cars
    91 850i/'67 Nova SS
    Yes, I understand why we can't blast the manifolds with materials like sand or glass and thank you for the additional information. I thought about powder coating them black but I do like the look of the original aluminum. What about plastic media? They also offered that as an option. Thanks again.
    Get them powder coated in aluminum..

1991 850i,80k miles,Wokke2000 Software,M3 Style Trunk Lip Spoiler,35% Tint,Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors,Limiters Disabled,1.5 inch Drop,AC Schnitzer Lower Front Spoiler,Mark850 design Roof Spoiler,HRE Comp90 Wheels 19x11.5 & 19x9.5, 295/30/19 245/35/19, Dinan Stage 2 Adjustable Sway Bars.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Yes, that is what I was looking to do; although I was looking to have more of a "crinkle" finish, like the ones that were for sale here a while back.

I'm thinking that I may just try to do a hard power wash on them since there is still some of the soda solution left on the manifolds. Maybe that will clear them up a bit; you think?
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    BMW850i,Viper SRT10
    If you like the stock look of the manifold take them to a good powdercoater and powdercoat them "sparkle silver" here are a couple of pics I took when I did my valve stem seals

DSCF0009.JPG

000_1305.jpg

000_1245.jpg

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Another option is to have them ceramic coated silver.

The soda-blaster's explaination is BS. They just didn't do a very good job ( could be they are reusing some old media).
    The soda blaster that I used here in Dallas, made the aluminum look very nice and even - and those intakes looked ALOT worse than the ones you took to him.

There is some stuff called ALuma-Brite. It is used to clean aluminum fuel tanks, etc. It is available from the Aircraft Spruce Company.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by viperrt10 View Post
    If you like the stock look of the manifold take them to a good powdercoater and powdercoat them "sparkle silver" here are a couple of pics I took when I did my valve stem seals

DSCF0009.JPG

000_1305.jpg

000_1245.jpg
    I believe that if I powdercoat them at all, I will powder coat them black. Your manifolds look very nice although I prefer the original texture of the manifolds as opposed to having them look "smooth."

Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Another option is to have them ceramic coated silver.

The soda-blaster's explaination is BS. They just didn't do a very good job ( could be they are reusing some old media).
    The soda blaster that I used here in Dallas, made the aluminum look very nice and even - and those intakes looked ALOT worse than the ones you took to him.

There is some stuff called ALuma-Brite. It is used to clean aluminum fuel tanks, etc. It is available from the Aircraft Spruce Company.
    Steffen, what do you think about the plastic media idea? Safe? I have looked in to walnut shells but the guy I go to doesn't offer them.
    Last edited by Ziminskas; 01-05-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '93 850Ci,'01 X5
    Yes, that is what I was looking to do; although I was looking to have more of a "crinkle" finish, like the ones that were for sale here a while back.

I'm thinking that I may just try to do a hard power wash on them since there is still some of the soda solution left on the manifolds. Maybe that will clear them up a bit; you think?
    Dammit Ryan! you stole my Idea! LOL!!!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Sorry Chris! Those manifolds do look beautiful though!!!
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '93 850Ci,'01 X5
    I really like the Idea of a wrinkle finish on the Intakes like your showing. Classy IMO, good job Ryan.

My Cars
    91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by viperrt10 View Post

DSCF0009.JPG

000_1305.jpg

000_1245.jpg
    Very nice. I like the look.

Chris

My Cars
    -90 850 -12 ///M550xd
    I had mine blasted with limestone powder and they also came out discoloured, not like yours but there was spots on it.
    Might have been able to polish them to look good again, but I was going to paint them black so I did not care.

Just got some high temp satin black engine paint and gave them 3 coats, then sanded off the lines and "BMW" writing.
    came out very nice I think.

During the winter I plan to paint my DK-motors black as well, and clean up my engine compartment in general, also plan to do something with the acustic cover, but not quite sure what that will be yet, paint it gloss black, or wrap it in carbon fiber.

Picture was taken just after the engine was asembled after replacing the camshafts with my phone, so not the best picture I know.

Last edited by Noggie; 01-06-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    -Egil (my name)

2012 ///M550xd touring
    1990 850Ia Hartge Supercharged.
    2004 M3 (sold)

My Cars
    91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
    I had mine blasted with limestone powder and they also came out discoloured, not like yours but there was spots on it.
    Might have been able to polish them to look good again, but I was going to paint them black so I did not care.

Just got some high temp satin black engine paint and gave them 3 coats, then sanded off the lines and "BMW" writing.
    came out very nice I think.

During the winter I plan to paint my DK-motors black as well, and clean up my engine compartment in general, also plan to do something with the acustic cover, but not quite sure what that will be yet, paint it gloss black, or wrap it in carbon fiber.

Picture was taken just after the engine was asembled after replacing the camshafts with my phone, so not the best picture I know.

What happened to you're acoustic cover insulation? It's all gone.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    the way to go. the media evaporates, the only debris is the crap you want to remove. Google. ICE TECH

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74rcyKZ05Dk&feature=related[/ame]

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    That looks really good for removing stickers, but what about oxidation? Another issue is I'm sure that it would be difficult to find someone to use dry ice media because it is so unconventional. I'm still wondering if it is safe to use the plastic or aluminum phosphate media to blast them. I know that Wolf said that it is safe but my concern is that when Wolf had his intakes blasted, he did it himself so he could take many precautions when cleaning and removing all the media afterwards; I on the other hand will be taking my intakes to a media blaster (again) to have them do it and I'm sure that they do not give a crap about my car; they only care about getting the job done and getting paid. Has anyone else tried plastic media?

I actually just spoke with the company who blasted my intakes and powdercoated my valve covers and he said that they could blast them again with plastic, and then put them in the powder coating oven (without powdercoating them) and if there were any little plastic beads stuck in the manifolds then they would melt. Sounds a little dangerous to me but I wanted to get your guys opinions. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ziminskas; 01-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    That's probably not oxidation but either old oil spots or salt blooms from the soda (sodium bicarbonate) itself. Aluminum also gets salt spots in a marine environment. You can see soda residue in your pix; maybe they did them a long time ago and the salt was left sitting on the surface?

It it's oil, it can bubble the powder coat when they bake it. One way to try to solve that is to put them in an oven and get them as hot as possible, cook out the oil. Try the cleaning cycle on an electric oven.

Blasting soda disappears nearly as easily as CO2. You can do soda blasting with a pressure washer, but watch out for killing the grass with the salt residue. You can also use crushed glass; places like Northern Hydraulic sell adaptors, do a decent job.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    -90 850 -12 ///M550xd
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    What happened to you're acoustic cover insulation? It's all gone.
    The rubber seal was barely hanging on, and full of old yellow glue from a previous owners attempt to make it stick, so I just removed it.
    I'm debating if I shoud try and salvage the one I have or just get a new one.
    The insulation on the underside is still there.

The cover was also full of that nasty yellow stuff from the factory, I tried to rub it off, but ended up scratching the plastic in the removal process.
    I'm therefore considering a gloss black paintjob, or to use 3M's Di-Noc carbon fiber wrap on it.
    I plan to use Di-Noc on my interior as it is now just black and dull.
    -Egil (my name)

2012 ///M550xd touring
    1990 850Ia Hartge Supercharged.
    2004 M3 (sold)

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    I would definately go the powder coat route and there are so many options of colour schemes to choose from. The most subtle being all the various shades and surface finishes of silver and black.

Smooth is easiest to keep clean and for a stock looking engine bay then a satin silver runners with some crinkle black plenums would be hard to beat.

Its your car so its your style, mine is a little less subtle.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Tech View Post
    I would definately go the powder coat route and there are so many options of colour schemes to choose from. The most subtle being all the various shades and surface finishes of silver and black.

Smooth is easiest to keep clean and for a stock looking engine bay then a satin silver runners with some crinkle black plenums would be hard to beat.

Its your car so its your style, mine is a little less subtle.

Every time I look at your engine bay the first thing that comes to mind is...RAVE!!! But it is truly incredible.

I have thought about using some different types of chemicals on my manifolds in order to try and get the residue off. I have thought of using either CLS (Calcium Lime Rust) or a product form the aircraft spruce company that is used to remove oxidation from aluminum.
    I am currently planning on keeping my manifolds stock aluminum unless I can't get the oxidation/salt deposits off. If I just absolutely cannot get the spots off, I will then look to powder coat them. Anyone think that CLR might work?
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    more and more Cars..
    I am currently planning on keeping my manifolds stock aluminum unless I can't get the oxidation/salt deposits off. If I just absolutely cannot get the spots off, I will then look to powder coat them. Anyone think that CLR might work?
    I cannot help the feeling that the company that made your intakes was not accurate enough!
    After 3 intake sets that I got soda blasted the result was always presentable!
    to register your 8 @ www.8coupe.com!

Best regards from good old Germany Harry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast