Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake bleed DIY with DSC

My Cars
    330ci
    Would this work on a 2003 330Ci? I think it's a MK60, I think...

My Cars
    E36 M3, E36/8 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by loftygoals View Post
    I bleed often and have switched fluid multiple times this year with my S54/DSC car. I have finally found a method that works with out having a GT1 to cycle the DSC pump:

• Use the old fashioned two person method
    • Before you have the person in the car press the brakes, have them start the car
    • Crack the bleeder
    • The DSC light should go solid
    • Close the bleeder
    • Have the person in the car release the brake pedal and then turn the car off to reset DSC
    • Repeat as necessary

Doing it this way causes the DSC pump to cycle as you crack the bleeder. DSC will see too much pressure loss and error out. That's why you must restart the car to reset things--hitting the DSC button won't cycle it.

Enjoy the nice firm brake pedal.

-bj
    BJ,

Chad here (the Silver M Coupe, we met at MSR a couple weekends ago) anyways, I'm continuing so have brake pedal issues which I can only contribute to air in the ABS system. I've bled and bled, switch from OE fluid, to ATE Blue, to Motul 600, still getting too much pedal travel before I really feel it grab. I also tried a vacuum bleeder, speed bleeders, and the old fashioned two person. I noticed at TWS this weekend that after I went out and did a full on panic stop that I had a nice firm pedal for the parade lap, but after that it went back to being spongy. Is there a way to one-man cycle the DSC? What is the GT1? I have a '02 S54 fwiw.

Thanks,
    Chad

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Had a very soft pedal after Suspension rebuild and pad replacement (Hawk). Used a pressure bleeder a few times in the past to replace fluid and never had a pedal issue. Bleed several (like 5 times) using pressure, complete dot 4 fluid replacement, old fashioned method... etc. Nothing worked until I found this! Restarted the car for each wheel and it worked like a champ. Thanks -- it was driving me crazy.

My Cars
    86 635 01 330 ci
    Quote Originally Posted by loftygoals View Post
    I bleed often and have switched fluid multiple times this year with my S54/DSC car. I have finally found a method that works with out having a GT1 to cycle the DSC pump:

• Use the old fashioned two person method
    • Before you have the person in the car press the brakes, have them start the car
    • Crack the bleeder
    • The DSC light should go solid
    • Close the bleeder
    • Have the person in the car release the brake pedal and then turn the car off to reset DSC
    • Repeat as necessary

Doing it this way causes the DSC pump to cycle as you crack the bleeder. DSC will see too much pressure loss and error out. That's why you must restart the car to reset things--hitting the DSC button won't cycle it.

Enjoy the nice firm brake pedal.

-bj
    Do all 4 corners need to be done like always with the procedure just exolained?

My Cars
    E36/8,E36/7,E36,E30,E23
    Quote Originally Posted by nrvous View Post
    Do all 4 corners need to be done like always with the procedure just exolained?
    Wow, I originally posted this method 10 years ago. Anyway, yes, do this procedure for all 4 corners. The ABS system has separate fluid channels for each wheel. This procedure doesn't need to be done every time you bleed the brakes, though. You only need to do it occasionally or specifically when you are fighting a soft brake pedal. I would also do it if you have drained the system dry or left a line open for an extended time (such as when replacing a caliper or brake line.)

-bj

2002 M Coupe | 2000 M Roadster w/ LS | 1998 328i w/ S54 | 1987 325is w/ M52 | 1985 735i Turbo

My Cars
    06 330i, 88 M3
    I know that my E30 and E90 have a procedure where the car is to be in the switched on position but not running. Basically, you put a pressure bleeder on the reservoir and upon opening the bleeder, your helper/wife/ornery teenager would then partially pump the pedal 10 times (E30, E90 sez 12) which tells the ABS to open itself up. This is in the Bentley manual for both of these cars and a BMW tech 20 years ago told me that this was the approved procedure from BMW for E30 with ABS.

Not sure if it would also work with the E36, but if BMW carried it from the E30 to E90, it stands to reason that the cars in the middle are also done this way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12