Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sach front struts..Why does the sport cost less than non-sport?

My Cars
    2003 E39 Auto

Sach front struts..Why does the sport cost less than non-sport?

From Bavauto:

Sachs Front Gas Shock - for cars with Standard suspension
    Part # : 36A 60A $ 199.95

Sachs Front Gas Shock - for cars with Sport suspension
    Part # : 36A 61A $ 119.95

From Parts Geek:

Sachs Strut Assembly - Front
    Your Price: $187.94
    Part Number: W0133-1601552
    Notes: w/ Standard Suspension

Sachs Strut Assembly - Front
    Your Price: $107.94
    Part Number: W0133-1663496
    Notes: w/ M Sport Suspension (S704A)

And what is: M Sport Suspension II vs Just the regular M Sport suspension?
    2003 530iA sport

My Cars
    E34sx5
    That would have been good to know the other day.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    It has been this way for a while and noone knows. And I am personally glad for it. This is why many with the standard suspension upgrade to Bilsteins (given a small cost differential) and many with the sport suspension stay with the Sachs.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    the M II suspension has a thicker sway bar front and rear and I think the springs are little more lower, and thats it....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    I wish mine were that cheap
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    E34sx5
    I just ordered Bilstein Sports.... FML
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    I just ordered Bilstein Sports.... FML
    540i/6 = $10 difference between sport & non-sport on bavauto, don't worry about it.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    do yourself a favor
    take them from dealer
    Last edited by champaign777; 01-04-2011 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Things have always been this way. Nobody knows why the non-sports are bookoo bucks compared to sport version (and NO they ain't interchangeable). What really steams me up is going to Chinese restaurant and I ask for brown rice. They *might* have it and if they do, they want bookoo bucks for it. I mean sh*t...brown rice is non-processed, it's real, raw and without all the chemical stripping and processes in order to make it *white*. Why does brown rice cost more, seriously my Fort Lee Friends, why? I only eat brown rice and this baffles me.

OP, Dire Straits sang this tune:

Baby I see this world has made you sad
    Some people can be bad
    The things they do, the things they say

But baby I'll wipe away those bitter tears
    I'll chase away those restless fears
    That turn your blue skies into grey

Why worry? There should be laughter after pain
    There should be sunshine after rain
    These things have always been the same
    So why worry now? Why worry now?

Baby when I get down, I turn to you
    And you make sense of what I do
    I know it isn't hard to say

But baby just when this world seems mean and cold
    Our love comes shining red and gold
    And all the rest is by the way

Why worry? There should be laughter after pain
    There should be sunshine after rain
    These things have always been the same
    So why worry now? Why worry now?

html, body {background-color: transparent; border: 0; overflow: hidden; margin: 0; color: #656565; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; line-height: 23px; padding: 3px 0 0 0;} p {margin: 0; padding:0 0 20px;}@media print{body{display: none;}}
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    i will try to translate what bimmerfiver said

AFTER MARKET Sachs != OEM Sachs = CRAP

Last edited by champaign777; 01-04-2011 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    i will translate what bimmerfiver said

AFTER MARKET Sachs != OEM Sachs = CRAP

I was deep into the question about five years ago asking myself, others and my boys (whom I trust) at my local dealership, "Are the SACHS struts I can purchase online for $100.00 each the same as, or less than, in terms of quality, as the 'dealership's' SACHS."

And the answer is...they are all the same/identical.

Spending $295.00 each (or whatever the dealer wanted) for a SACHS sport strut would be a waste of about $200.00

I will say that SACHS struts and shocks, when mated with OEM springs (accordingly) aren't bad...but the front struts will not last more than 1.75 to 2.5 years or 25K miles. In fact, my front SACHS sport struts (mated with OEM sport struts) only lasted ~12K miles.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    yesterday, my front passenger bilstein sport strut gone.... after about 2.5 years...

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    yesterday, my front passenger bilstein sport strut gone.... after about 2.5 years...
    If I lived in Panama with those roads...I would have OEM non-sport springs only. I would see if the *new*, softer Bilstein HD would work with them. If so, I'd install that and call it una dia.

Viva Panama.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    I was deep into the question about five years ago asking myself, others and my boys (whom I trust) at my local dealership, "Are the SACHS struts I can purchase online for $100.00 each the same as, or less than, in terms of quality, as the 'dealership's' SACHS."

And the answer is...they are all the same/identical.

Spending $295.00 each (or whatever the dealer wanted) for a SACHS sport strut would be a waste of about $200.00

I will say that SACHS struts and shocks, when mated with OEM springs (accordingly) aren't bad...but the front struts will not last more than 1.75 to 2.5 years or 25K miles. In fact, my front SACHS sport struts (mated with OEM sport struts) only lasted ~12K miles.
    no they are NOT identical
    they just look the same
    i have OEM SACHS with 90k ! miles ( still going strong ) and i have aftermarket SACHS with 15k miles
    I can feel the difference
    From day one
    Last edited by champaign777; 01-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    no they are NOT identical
    they just look the same
    i have OEM SACHS with 90k miles and i have aftermarket with 15k miles
    and i can feel the difference
    from day one
    I hope I am wrong. I am going buy info from my men at the dealership.

*If* indeed you are correct, that dealership SACHS are different/better than aftermarket...I would ask for some proof. I believe you. I just need data and hard proof.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    If I lived in Panama with those roads...I would have OEM non-sport springs only. I would see if the *new*, softer Bilstein HD would work with them. If so, I'd install that and call it una dia.

Viva Panama.
    next step, Koni yellows.......

don't want to know anything about Bilstein for this moment, i had a terrible clunck in my front suspension, after I put all new pieces the clunck still there, so now I will try with the konis with OEM sports springs or H&R blue springs or Vortland red springs....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    i just replaced all front suspension component on my hachi roku with 100 bucks :P
    control arm with 20+ years and still going strong just need new poly bushing.

enjoy...
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    2003 E39 Auto
    I have a theory why the sport cost less.. The non-sport ones are probably built with sturdier internals with leaner molecular concentration of gas mixture inside the struts versus the sport mode where it is more subject to stiffer damping due to the stiffer springs on the sport models. The sport model are not meant to last very long versus non-sport and this is why they cost more because consumers will have to replace them more frequently. Seriously, I dont know why it would cost more. And why would Sachs make an OEM part different from a replacement part? They should be the same? I could be wrong..
    2003 530iA sport

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    I hope I am wrong. I am going buy info from my men at the dealership.

*If* indeed you are correct, that dealership SACHS are different/better than aftermarket...I would ask for some proof. I believe you. I just need data and hard proof.
    bimmerfiver old thread

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1284628

I don't need proof as i have both
    If i will redo my sport suspension then only dealer Sachs or Konis Yellow
    Last edited by champaign777; 01-04-2011 at 04:42 PM.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    there are some threads on this topic
    search

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1284628

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    next step, Koni yellows.......

don't want to know anything about Bilstein for this moment, i had a terrible clunck in my front suspension, after I put all new pieces the clunck still there, so now I will try with the konis with OEM sports springs or H&R blue springs or Vortland red springs....
    I have a theory. It's just my own brain at this point. It's this: there is a technical difference in HEIGHT between the GENUINE BMW strut mount versus the OEM BMW strut mount (Sachs-Boge).

I offer Exhibit A and please look at the 1st and 3rd strut mount offerings:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31336752735/

Please NOTE the GENUINE BMW is NOT NOT NOT identical to the SACHS mount.

If you buy an "OEM" mount from any online site, or even a dealer...you may very well get the SACHS which we perceive and believe to be OEM. And it is for all intents and purpose. However, the 'Genuine BMW' mount has a different profile...it's not as tall and the difference is rather noticeable when you have the 'Genuine BMW mount' and the 'OEM SACHS mount' in your hands, in front of you.

I have used both mounts.
    I used Bilstein.
    I had a clunk as well (though I cannot recall which mount I used).
    I cannot recall which set of springs I had mated with which strut mount.
    I can say the 'SACHS' mount in the above link was tall enough that when I removed it (and it was 1 week old) the rubber on it's UNDERSIDE was gouged and had a chunk missing (on both the left and right side strut)....which lets me know the spring was digging into it. And no it's not human error because I am Jedi Knight of e39 struts, mounts, washers and bolts.

Bottom line. I *know* there is a difference between the 'Genuine BMW Mount' and the 'OEM SACHS' mount. To what extent this plays a role with clunking and if the type of spring that's being used plays a role, I dunno.

Know your mounts.
    I am not from Panama.
    But I am Panamanian.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    I have a theory. It's just my own brain at this point. It's this: there is a technical difference in HEIGHT between the GENUINE BMW strut mount versus the OEM BMW strut mount (Sachs-Boge).

I offer Exhibit A and please look at the 1st and 3rd strut mount offerings:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31336752735/

Please NOTE the GENUINE BMW is NOT NOT NOT identical to the SACHS mount.

If you buy an "OEM" mount from any online site, or even a dealer...you may very well get the SACHS which we perceive and believe to be OEM. And it is for all intents and purpose. However, the 'Genuine BMW' mount has a different profile...it's not as tall and the difference is rather noticeable when you have the 'Genuine BMW mount' and the 'OEM SACHS mount' in your hands, in front of you.

I have used both mounts.
    I used Bilstein.
    I had a clunk as well (though I cannot recall which mount I used).
    I cannot recall which set of springs I had mated with which strut mount.
    I can say the 'SACHS' mount in the above link was tall enough that when I removed it (and it was 1 week old) the rubber on it's UNDERSIDE was gouged and had a chunk missing (on both the left and right side strut)....which lets me know the spring was digging into it. And no it's not human error because I am Jedi Knight of e39 struts, mounts, washers and bolts.

Bottom line. I *know* there is a difference between the 'Genuine BMW Mount' and the 'OEM SACHS' mount. To what extent this plays a role with clunking and if the type of spring that's being used plays a role, I dunno.

Know your mounts.
    I am not from Panama.
    But I am Panamanian.
    so what are you seing its to put the OEM SACHS mount? if its your advice, well I put the GENUINE BMW (buy in my local BMW dealer, they order the mounts directly from Germany, here in Panama all the replace parts and all the BMW cars need to buying directly from Germany (no matter if the car was made in other country, for example USA, Mexico, etc...)) and i buy the OEM SACHS mounts, from EAC Tuning and Pelican Parts, and guess what, the clunk came over and over and over and over.
    Other issue that I notice, when I raise up my car, and put the car again in the floor, the clunk gone for about a week and then came again, over and over, like the Energizer Rabbit.......
    So I think, the Bilsteins are the problem......

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Our Sachs struts are the same as what you get from the dealer. They are NOT the cheap Sachs that you can get elsewhere. There are two versions of Sachs struts.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    Our Sachs struts are the same as what you get from the dealer. They are NOT the cheap Sachs that you can get elsewhere. There are two versions of Sachs struts.
    I am very intrigued by this. Interesting. I bought Sachs from Bavauto back in 2007 and the struts bit the dust in less than 1 year.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    I've been saying this for a while. When it comes time to replace my suspension, I may very well go with OE parts. The other option is a set of coilovers, just because I'd like to ride a bit lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast