Thread: Loud metal noise from right rear

My Cars
    1993 325is

Loud metal noise from right rear

One day I am driving and I hear this metal noise, not really a scraping or a growl... More like a bang bang bang bang....

I just got done replacing my rear shock mounts and it did not fix the problem.... When I got down there I noticed though, that my strut evidently is rubbing against the bottom part of where the springs sit.... I can actually feel it when it makes the noise too.... Oddly enough when I get out on the highway and accelerate I can cruise at 60 mph no problem and hear no noise....

I don't know where to start, I really would appreciate help..

Thank you for your time and consideration.

My Cars
    94 325i, 95 M3, 1997 325
    the strut is hitting the lower part of were the spring hits. Something is seriously bent if thats happening. I would check all the parts out.
    Washedit1 by thedude60526, on Flickr
    11/10's Racing
    94 325i #36/64 TEAM PENISTON OILS/ LARSENS BISCUITS

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I think now its something to do with the axle going from my differential to my wheel...... When I throw my car into neutral it doesn't make the noise. God I hope this doesn't break me down and kill me before I get it fixed

if a cv joint is failing, can it possibly be making this noise? It makes the noise when I turn sharp to the right and also going straight, no noise really when I turn left
    Last edited by E36Lindberg; 12-31-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Guido could be bad, or maybe you blew your diff bolt? Diff mounts? Subframe bushings?

Maybe that Indian guy from That 70's Show is living in your rear subframe.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I actually just got back from my buddies house we put it up on a lift... there are no leaks or tears in anything... he played with the drive shaft and everything was the same around the diff., one thing I did notice was when he showed me my axles he said they should go left to right a lil, they did....... now that metal noise is gone, I am a little relieved but pretty sure it is going to come back around. He said the sub frame bushings look good, he said everything looks the way it should be. Could it be the driveshaft u joint or center bearing?

If he is living in there he needs to get the hell out

if it is the axle instead of paying the 428 for a BMW OEM one can I use this one

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...C%20Each%20%20

I have another mechanic looking at it tomorrow
    Last edited by E36Lindberg; 01-01-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost