View Poll Results: Which way should I go on the "what's my waterpump dillemma " ?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replace it all - new better than whatever is in there now

2 100.00%
  • Have them look and if metal impeller pump is in, just use that one and save the cost of parts

0 0%
  • Just wait and see what happens if and when it overheats

0 0%

Thread: Cost for waterpump/thermostat housing replacement

My Cars
    96 M3, 86 Saleen Mustang, 96 FullSize Bronco

Cost for waterpump/thermostat housing replacement

Ok -

So I'm at 60k on the 96M3 and I know the water pumps, if still the one with the
    plastic impleller, fail about now...

Problem is - I don't know if it's been changed ! According to my shop (AJUSA in San Diego) there is no way to tell, so I have to bite the bullet and replace it anyways I guess. Worse case is I have a brand new water pump to replace my already replaced waterpump I guess - what's the cost on a waterpump? Should I just be extra safe and go with a new one in any case?

He also said that the thermo housing were made of plastic and he replaces them with a metal one.....

Total cost - about $380....Is that good or high? I don't have a breakdown on parts cost since I was fishing for prices and advice..

What do all the estemmed Bimmerminds think?
    96 Arctic Silver M3 - Kuhmo Estcas on Hartge Type D 18's, PAR Intake, Sharked, Elipsoids w/ Gen Iv HID Blue DDE's and smoke corners/SuperFog, TMS LTW flywheel & TME's, X-Brace, JT RSM's,ConeCam video gear & stealth mounted V1 w/ InV1siMirror,JT undertray, Motorsport rotors w/ Ferodo DS 3000 and 2500's, Bilstein Sports with Eibach's,SwayBarbarians & UUC SS Comp Evo SSK, SuperSprint exhaust and Schroth harness'es, JT brake ducts......Coming - front and rear JT braces...
    My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You lapped my father. Prepare to die.

My Cars
    BMW
    Do it yourself. That's what I did. Total cost $150. That included the water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing and belts all from www.bimmerparts.com . I am not exactly mechanically inclined but it wasn't hard. I followed the instructions from here and they were right on the money:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/uberjeph/index.html

What's the build date of your M3? If it's before June, then your car was built with a plastic impeller water pump. If it's after June, then most likely it had the metal water pump. June was a transitional month - some cars had the metal pump, some had the plastic.

Anyway, if I remember right, the water pump isn't too expensive - Bavarian Autosport and BMPD have it for under 45 bucks. The metal thermostat housing is somewhere around 40 bucks. If you're going to go to the effort of having someone pull the existing one to check it, you might as well just have them put in a new one....

Jim