Thread: Windshield wiper arm.. backwards??

My Cars
    in search

Angry Windshield wiper arm.. backwards??

Very simple yet stupid problem that I've been faced with.

The driver side windshield wiper arm is on backwards, and only after 4 months of owning the second-hand car on which this problem was found, did I realize this. The previous owner had installed a contraption by which he managed to put on a wiper blade despite the obvious backward-ness of the arm, and as a result, the wiper blade mounting point is about 1 cm farther from the windshield than normal.

To further add to my problems, when the wiper speed is set to anything other than intermittent, the problematic wiper on the driver's side makes a catastrophically annoying "clank" sound every time it hits the bottom of its cycle.

Basically, is there a method in which I can turn the blasted arm around, or do I have to replace it?

I'm not extremely good with cars - especially with these minor details - and I'm just looking for a bit o' advice from fellow E34 owners.

Cheers

Here are some pictures

Really appreciate any help
    Last edited by jamiroquai; 12-29-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: pictures

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    You either need to go to the junkyard and get a right arm which is normal as you can see.. Providing you don't have that wiper blade option with variable storkes i forget what it's called now.. Then get new generic blades and put on. Can be alot of tinkering to get the sweep right.

Another option is to get new Bosch OEM blades which costs alot..

If you still have the original BOSCH oem blades you can replace the rubbery bits.. See REAL OEM for part number.

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    Na
    This is probably because you have the variable pressure wiper blade option which is dependant on speed. Best bet would be to cut the arm and flip it and weld it back on.
    "...there’s nothing like the scream of an old straight six, a sound only comparable to a monster that eats children and rocks for breakfast and howls like a banshee when the loud-pedal is mashed." - Mike Burroughs

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    This is a well know oddity of the E34, the "right way" to do it would be to refill the wiper blade itself, instead of the whole arm.

What I did instead was replace that arm with another passenger side arm, its an inch off in size, but saved me the hassle and it doesn't bother me too much.

The clanking sound as it ends its cycle also occurs on my car and probably a couple of others members cars as well. Through the years the hood has sunken down enough to catch the wiper arm against itself, my arms both have deep scratches that have developed from continued use and the clunking against the hood.

There's many threads full of info on this subject to search on and find more information.

My Cars
    in search
    Quote Originally Posted by E34Kevin View Post
    This is a well know oddity of the E34, the "right way" to do it would be to refill the wiper blade itself, instead of the whole arm.

What I did instead was replace that arm with another passenger side arm, its an inch off in size, but saved me the hassle and it doesn't bother me too much.

The clanking sound as it ends its cycle also occurs on my car and probably a couple of others members cars as well. Through the years the hood has sunken down enough to catch the wiper arm against itself, my arms both have deep scratches that have developed from continued use and the clunking against the hood.

There's many threads full of info on this subject to search on and find more information.
    If you could set me up with a link of any kind, I would be most grateful

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    bblazen has the same thing on his car....I dont know if its a stupid design or some freak previous owner mishap

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    I believe I did the same thing. Used a passenger side arm and installed a standard blade for which I can get the Bosch style refills. As far as the arms hitting the hood, it's a characteristic of worn wiper linkage bushings that allow the arms to park closer and clsoer to the hood until they begin to hit. I have had 3 e34's, all have done the same, but the hood has always been properly aligned. I remove the arms, and with a flapper wheel on the grinder, I "relief" the arm slightly to accommodate the arms and keep them from coming in contact with the hood. Ghetto I know, but a little spray paint and none the wiser. I've seen the threads on how to correctly fix the problem and it's one of those jobs I'll eventually get to, but I'm in no rush.

While on the subject, the passenger side blade has a tendency to stand up away from the glass at the far end closest to the pillar/hood/fender area. I remedied the situation on all three cars by running a 1" shorter blade than specified by the application charts. It sits perfect and has no noticeable/adverse affect on keeping the windshield clean.
    Last edited by LouieD; 12-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    Heres a couple jamiroquai
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ield+wiper+arm

Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    While on the subject, the passenger side blade has a tendency to stand up away from the glass at the far end closest to the pillar/hood/fender area. I remedied the situation on all three cars by running a 1" shorter blade than specified by the application charts. It sits perfect and has no noticeable/adverse affect on keeping the windshield clean.
    Thanks for that tip, I always notice how the arm shake as it comes down sinces its not keeping to the windshield.

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    Wielding seems extreme!

I picked up a later model E34 driverside arm (94 I think) from an online second hand parts house in Alabama. Went on easy enough and speed/pressure sensing still works a charm. Bonus, I get to use current tech wipers (Bosch Icon) instead of fussing with refill strips.
    BMW CCA #434501
    [ 127k Miles | Dinan Engine & Trans chips | LSD | AFE Pro 5 R Air Filter | ANSA Exhaust | BavAuto Springs | Bilstein Sport shocks | | Racing Dynamics front strut brace | BavAuto DTM Lip | Driver-side wiper arm upgrade | Euro LKM ECE-B | French Market E1 Spec Hella Lows (HID 4500K 55w DDM Raptor v2) and Highs (Osram Nightbreaker +90)
    | HID Projector Fogs - 3000K 35w DDM Raptor v2 | LED Interior lights with Shogun's Dimmer kit | 7 Series Rear Map lights | Euro clear parking, tail and signal lamps]

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    I don't understand how this is possible when the reverse hook style wiper mounts with a clamp style onto a post that is way different than the other ones that have a threaded post with a nut

My Cars
    BMW 535i/1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    Well according to MICHE on one of the links any wiper can be used without swaping arms and cutting and rewelding the arm by reusing the original clip. I'm going to head to Walmart and get some Icons and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    I don't understand how this is possible when the reverse hook style wiper mounts with a clamp style onto a post that is way different than the other ones that have a threaded post with a nut
    I see what Miche was talking about on another link. All blades are identical in that they are held on by some type of clip to the arm. If you reuse the clip from your blade you can install any type so long as you use the BMW fastner clip. The clips that come in the wiper blade packages most likely cannot be used with the BMW arms.
    Last edited by 70383roadrunner; 01-02-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    This issue is driving me nuts at the moment on my touring. The passenger side wiper mount is either broken or VERY loose and it moves around. I had to move the arm a couple of teeth to avoid it hammering the hood each time on the down stroke.

Now the driver's side wiper is not making firm enough contact with the windshield and gives a crappy wipe - for now I just bent the wiper blade itself a bit straighter and it seems to work. I have that silly variable pressure FUBAR design from BMW. I will have to open up the entire assembly during the next dry season - I am wondering if it is indeed possible to just replace the entire assembly with the one from my other touring?

GarrettSR5 suggested this, I don't know if it was ever done. Anyone have any ideas or options for this? I could not get the Bosch Aeros or Evolutions to work as replacements yesterday.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    I'll throw something else out regarding wiper blades/refills. I have tried almost every blade out there and come to a simple conclusion: The cheaper, real rubber "Bosch" style blades/refills on a clean windshield wipe the best. I've seen wiper transmissions/linkage/arms/bushings destroyed by having to push and drag much heavier/thicker new-fangled multi-edged, multi-bladed contraptions. The refills with the two stainless steel tension bits, properly sized on a non-pitted windshield is tough to beat for ease on the wallet and performance My.02

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Definitely agree with that....I have been through many different types and always come back to the Bosch standard blades.

Try maybe some claybar on the windshield, maybe you have a film or something on there that isn't taken off when you clean.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    I'll throw something else out regarding wiper blades/refills. I have tried almost every blade out there and come to a simple conclusion: The cheaper, real rubber "Bosch" style blades/refills on a clean windshield wipe the best. I've seen wiper transmissions/linkage/arms/bushings destroyed by having to push and drag much heavier/thicker new-fangled multi-edged, multi-bladed contraptions. The refills with the two stainless steel tension bits, properly sized on a non-pitted windshield is tough to beat for ease on the wallet and performance My.02
    Ah Louie,
    Good advice and another great avatar.
    The rubber replacement is a pain in the ass but works best for me too.
    Clean windshield helps most, 0000 steel wool and lacquer thinner followed by car wax and you'll think someone stole the glass.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post
    Well according to MICHE on one of the links any wiper can be used without swaping arms and cutting and rewelding the arm by reusing the original clip. I'm going to head to Walmart and get some Icons and try it.

I see what Miche was talking about on another link. All blades are identical in that they are held on by some type of clip to the arm. If you reuse the clip from your blade you can install any type so long as you use the BMW fastner clip. The clips that come in the wiper blade packages most likely cannot be used with the BMW arms.
    I still don't really understand what you are talking about here. So you are saying if you re-use the plastic clip within the hook of the wiper arm, you can use the icons? I don't see how this is possible. Does anyone have any pics of their solutions?

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    Oldish thread revival, but just went out and bought some Icons, buy one get one free right now, and they didn't quite work . I bought the B type, so tomorrow i'm trying out the A. Bought them both in 20 inch coincidentally, have that size on drivers (PIAA), and a 21 on passenger oem I believe but it hangs off. Confused on the sizes, seeing all sorts of answers.

Hopefully IT Jedi can help as he has the same car, and has Icons as stated in a really old post of his. Except i'm using another passenger wiper arm for drivers side.

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    Oldish thread revival, but just went out and bought some Icons, buy one get one free right now, and they didn't quite work . I bought the B type, so tomorrow i'm trying out the A. Bought them both in 20 inch coincidentally, have that size on drivers (PIAA), and a 21 on passenger oem I believe but it hangs off. Confused on the sizes, seeing all sorts of answers.

Hopefully IT Jedi can help as he has the same car, and has Icons as stated in a really old post of his. Except i'm using another passenger wiper arm for drivers side.
    I measured both sides as I don't remember what I bought. Both are 22" from end to end. The driver side is close when not wiping but works perfectly. I don't think that means that they are 22's but I'm not sure.

Again, I don't remember if I bought the A and B versions....
    BMW CCA #434501
    [ 127k Miles | Dinan Engine & Trans chips | LSD | AFE Pro 5 R Air Filter | ANSA Exhaust | BavAuto Springs | Bilstein Sport shocks | | Racing Dynamics front strut brace | BavAuto DTM Lip | Driver-side wiper arm upgrade | Euro LKM ECE-B | French Market E1 Spec Hella Lows (HID 4500K 55w DDM Raptor v2) and Highs (Osram Nightbreaker +90)
    | HID Projector Fogs - 3000K 35w DDM Raptor v2 | LED Interior lights with Shogun's Dimmer kit | 7 Series Rear Map lights | Euro clear parking, tail and signal lamps]

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    Okay thank you, is the passenger wiper making full contact? my worry is it'll hang over but these wipers seem to form a lot better than traditional ones. Last question, are the 94+ wiper arms the same as any passenger arm? Size, shape, etc.

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    Just think upside down when mounting the wiper blade on the drivers side. Use the original clips, i've hade dozens of aftermarket wiper blades on the my car. Now remember where the clip clips onto the wiper blade there is a little bar in the middle of the wiper blade that may be in different sizes, this one must correspond to the size of the one used with the original clip, otherwise it's a no go, but other than that, you can use any wiper blade out there if you have that in mind.

It's just a matter of having the wiper blade and the clip detached, so at first you slide the wiperblade around the backwards arm so it comes on the right way, and then simply put on the clip on the wiper blade after it's in the correct position, now slide it in the connector on the wiper arm and then put on the safety clip ontop of that. Done.
    Last edited by M Quick; 02-25-2011 at 02:23 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    I just went and got a 94 driver wiper arm for 10 bucks and swapped it over. Took 5 minutes and put regular blades on.

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    Quote Originally Posted by 87shark View Post
    I just went and got a 94 driver wiper arm for 10 bucks and swapped it over. Took 5 minutes and put regular blades on.

Just a headsup, is that the other one accept regular blades too, just that the mounting process isn't the same but just as easy when you know how to

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    Okay thank you, is the passenger wiper making full contact? my worry is it'll hang over but these wipers seem to form a lot better than traditional ones. Last question, are the 94+ wiper arms the same as any passenger arm? Size, shape, etc.

BMW CCA #434501