Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Natural Chamois vs. Meguairs Microfiber towels

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata

Natural Chamois vs. Meguairs Microfiber towels

Greetings -

I typically give my car paint the full detail with claybar and polisher using Zaino products annually, and every month or so with the Zaino car polish. I wash my car alot - probably two times per week.

I have been using the Meguairs microfiber towels because I have been happy with how absorbent they are, but it seems as though I go through a set of three of them about every six months - they start to become rough, probalby due to alot of washing & use.

I like the fact that I can use the microfiber towels to get the car to be totally dry.

My wife bought me a natural sheepskin chamois. Should I return it for more microfiber towels or will I end up liking it?
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I hate natural leather as a drying towel. Hard, finicky, will rot, hard to clean, and they do not dry. Worthless IMO.

Synthetic chamois are much better. They actually dry very very well. They are soft, machine washable (throw in with the rest of the MF), easy to maintain, cheap. Downfall: they don't have anywhere for particles to get up away from the paint as you wipe. Anything on the surface will be all over the surface After a wash there will still be particles on the paint just from stuff in the air. The cleaner the finish and ambient, the more you can use synthetic chamois. Nothing works as fast.

Microfiber has a nap, and more of a possibility of particles being removed from the paint when you wipe. Thus, MF has the least risk of inducing defects as you dry. But know this: anything can scratch paint, even MF.

The problem with each is their maintenance. Of them all, MF is the easiest to care for. If you are getting hard towels after time, try the typical MF restore tricks (hot water, vinegar, etc). If no avail, pick up some new MF towels. The Meg's are fine, but if you want to splurge the best drying towel I have used (I have not used them all) is the Cobra Guzzler waffle weave towel. One towel will usually dry an entire car, but buy 2 or more. Wash these by themselves, no other MF in the wash. So far I have these running one full year (probably 100 washes) and they feel fine. Since I don't have to struggle with drying so much with these towels I believe they are better for softer paints, and will use nothing less on any black BMW.

Other than that I'm sure most MF drying towels will be decent, and better than any natural chamois.
    Last edited by jlb85; 12-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    jlb85 gave a perfect answer. The Natural Chamois will work fine but IMO I prefer the Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels. The Microfiber Drying Towel is much easier to work with and is much softer on the paint surface. Always wash your Microfiber Towels in cold water with a Microfiber Detergent. http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html

Save 10% Coupon Code - CLUBMEMBER
    1-800-869-3011 ext 205

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Excellent advice and link guys. Thanks!
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591