Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Successful Sport Seat Swap Using Seats With Older Black Connectors

My Cars
    2002 bmw 520i
    I did this but I got battery drain next day it's from yellow to black also I swapped my old tensioner to the new seat but why battery drain once installed is that seat problem ? Can I just adjust it then unplug but how can I avoid airbag sign on instrument cluster

- - - Updated - - -

Any help appreciated it's old style seat black connected into yellow which is 2003 e39

My Cars
    2002 bmw 520i
    Waiting for help could be the motor I can swap old with new

My Cars
    09 BMW X3, 98 528i
    see above followup, I want to say thanks. I just completed my swap and took my first drive. Your help was invaluable. No big issues after following all the tips. I took my time and was patient. I have my perfect driving position back. I have new floor mats and full adjustment. I did not have to change the tension mechanism. Anyone thinking of doing a seat swap, read this first. Thanks again

My Cars
    09 BMW X3, 98 528i
    FYI- I used number 3, change the plug in the floor approach, wires match up as the article states. I do not have heated seats

My Cars
    2002 bmw 520i
    Strange I got battery drain then I've unplugged the new connector and jump start the car then run the car 30 minutes took it to the garage and after one week no problem so what's the issue which motor may be bad and can I swap yellow connector motors to black connector and how will you know which one is bad ??
    Or is the problem. Cause my trunk won't close but I've removed the trunk light

My Cars
    94 325is vin# ef44406
    I've got an early '97 E39 540i with heated seats. I actually just got some 16 way comfort seats from a 2000 E38 740il for a really good price, so, i'm putting the newer seats into the older car.
    I've got the harness plugs from the 740 along with the seats.

I'm splicing the harnesses into the car. Do I need to change the seat belt tensioners? I've got the new & old ones. also, I'll be losing the heated seats but what brown wires( from the car) should be spliced to what to retain the steering wheel functionality. OP mentioned splicing 2 wires together to one and even splicing 3 wires to one. which ones are these. I've identified which wires to splice on the harnesses...all except the brown/blue, brown/red, brown/black & brown white wires for the steering column. Do they splice together? which color to what?
    Also the black wire is the steering column angle motor wire, where does it hook up on the new wiring harness? also, where to hook up the blue/black (steering column length motor) on the new seat harness?

My Cars
    E89, E39, E38
    Quote Originally Posted by HoZy View Post
    Thankyou!

So pleased I just stumbled across this after picking up my new interior. I have a '98 with the black connectors. New seats are yellow...

Going to see if I Can switch the looms between them when I get a chance, If not. Possibly ebay some looms to make up. As Ideally i'd like to sell my comfort seats.

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by jwwetzel View Post
    I've got an early '97 E39 540i with heated seats. I actually just got some 16 way comfort seats from a 2000 E38 740il for a really good price, so, i'm putting the newer seats into the older car.
    I've got the harness plugs from the 740 along with the seats.

I'm splicing the harnesses into the car. Do I need to change the seat belt tensioners? I've got the new & old ones. also, I'll be losing the heated seats but what brown wires( from the car) should be spliced to what to retain the steering wheel functionality. OP mentioned splicing 2 wires together to one and even splicing 3 wires to one. which ones are these. I've identified which wires to splice on the harnesses...all except the brown/blue, brown/red, brown/black & brown white wires for the steering column. Do they splice together? which color to what?
    Also the black wire is the steering column angle motor wire, where does it hook up on the new wiring harness? also, where to hook up the blue/black (steering column length motor) on the new seat harness?
    Have any of you completed the swap? I just got a pair of Sport Contours out of a 2001 740i Sport for super cheap that I'm trying to retrofit into my 1995 750iL. Thanks in advance!
    10/12 E89 Z4 sDrive35i: Alpine White/Coral Red, 6MT, ZMP
    12/01 E39 M5: TiAg/full black leather, Supersprint mufflers + x-pipe, SSK
    04/95 E38 750iL: Jet Black/black, M Parallels, Shadowline, x-pipe and muffler delete

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I
    Hello Administrator,
    I just register to be able to use the forum but, I notice that I can't see the pictures that user (thehackmechanic) posted please advice. thank you.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Surprised nobody posted pinout for both types of plugs.
    Also there's probably another way. Completely change the wiring harness on the seat instead of changing just connectors.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    This is all I can find

Whats the plug in the middle?

Can't find anything with yellow plug

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    X10214

- - - Updated - - -

Now what's the connector between x275 and x10214?
    And what about the new connector, yellow one. How does one look it up?

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Going from older seats to newer sport seats for a bit more challenging...
    While I'm trying to figure out pinouts, I decided to change over the belt tensioner.
    Old one from my old seat, to the new sport seat.

Well the problem was that the connector for the new belt tensioner is way too big.
    While it's easy to plug old yellow connector into new belt tensioner, the new black connector on the sport seats does not fit into the old belt tensioner.
    I had to take both connectors apart and transfer 2 pins from new black connector to the old yellow connector.
    In the process I removed some kind of a coil from the yellow connector. Not sure if this will cause problems.
    Then I was able to plug this newly created connector into the old belt tensioner that I transferred from my old seat to the new sport seat.

Big mistake buying a seat with the wrong connector. Much time wasted.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998

Now pinout for the old connector is complete.

6 pins on X275, 10 pins on 10214 and 10 pins on X10230. Total 26 pins
    Matches up perfectly to X653.
    X653 is the connector on the side on the seat that regulates seat positions etc.

So basically all this is clear and matches up. Now just need to figure out the new yellow connector pinouts

My Cars
    E38 740il, F15 30d, F10
    Quote Originally Posted by shf1 View Post
    see above followup, I want to say thanks. I just completed my swap and took my first drive. Your help was invaluable. No big issues after following all the tips. I took my time and was patient. I have my perfect driving position back. I have new floor mats and full adjustment. I did not have to change the tension mechanism. Anyone thinking of doing a seat swap, read this first. Thanks again
    Hi everyone

Can anyone confirm whether you'll need to change the seat tensioner if you were going to swap from a pre-facelift (yellow connector pre-99) to a facelift (black connector post-99)?

If not, did you any airbag warning error on the tensioner given you are changing it from single stage to dual stage seat tensioner?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12