Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY: Central dome lighting with diodes from E39 to be installed in E36

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert E36 View Post
    I have just applied E39 diodes in E36 dome light second time for my friend's coupe..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Make me one

My Cars
    98/M3/4, 05 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    Did you completely cut through the copper on the 4th cut (Farthest cut to the right)? Because it looks like you soldered the two copper points together and beside that you made a cut but I can't tell how far you cut and if you cut from the top only or through the plastic middle as well? Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by SmokedBMW23; 11-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Hey everyone... I'm currently in US (Virginia), so if someone needs help, ship your lamps to me, I'll help.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

Quote Originally Posted by SmokedBMW23 View Post

Did you completely cut through the copper on the 4th cut (Farthest cut to the right)? Because it looks like you soldered the two copper points together and beside that you made a cut but I can't tell how far you cut and if you cut from the top only or through the plastic middle as well? Hope that makes sense.
    You cut only first metal plate. And solder together two left parts.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Last edited by dancerst; 12-11-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36
    Hey.
    I have one question. Did you modified central switch. In the bottom my looks like There is no elements to short circuit and i don't known did i missing something ??

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by milek99 View Post
    Hey.
    I have one question. Did you modified central switch. In the bottom my looks like There is no elements to short circuit and i don't known did i missing something ??
    Look careful for pictures I've posted in the beginning.
    Yes, I've modified central switch as well as some other parts on the dome lamp.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318i Saloon
    Hi, I'm trying to do this mod on my E36, but I can no longer see the photos that had loaded dancerst :,(
    I'm stuck in this point

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i Sedan
    Greetings!

I decided to do this conversion in my E36, but unfortunately some pictures are no longer visible - I tried to figure out some things but there are still some questions left :S Could you Guys help me out?

I include a picture :

Could someone check and correct it please? Most of the questions are included on the picture - I just don't know where to cut it, and I believe i have to solder something
    Thanks for all the help in advance

My Cars
    1997 Bmw Cabrio
    Hy can anyone hlep me can i do this thing on convertible ????? with e39 lamp ?

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jeoy View Post
    Hy can anyone hlep me can i do this thing on convertible ????? with e39 lamp ?
    Nope, you'll have to modify yours like that...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1992 BMW e36 is coupe
    hi can you send me all pictures how to do that? because i can see what you soldering. robertexxx@inbox.com
    thanks

My Cars
    M3 97
    ahhh awesome! Guess what I'm doing tonight!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also forgot to add, any problems fitting the unit? Any cutting needed?

My Cars
    e36 318is coupe M42
    Hi guys,
    Can someone reupload pictures cause some of them are gone. Mostly those by darkeres.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1992 318iS, 1997 328iS
    I've done everything according to councils of dancerst and it's working!
    Last edited by Santai; 10-01-2015 at 07:40 AM.

My Cars
    97 Mtech 318ti
    Does anyone know what diode to put or have any updated pictures? Trying to get this done and can't find info anywhere. Thank you!

My Cars
    The M
    I assume the e39 module isn't plug and play with the e36?

What is the purpose of the diodes and all the re-wiring? It was not clear to me.

Plus, I can't seem to see all the pictures
    Last edited by I M LEGEND; 07-28-2017 at 11:01 AM.

My Cars
    1991 325i, 1999 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Sorry for the little off-topic, but John, what is that black module at the left foreground? Doesn't seem familiar to me.

Dancerst: I already had a feeling it had something to do with the central switch.
    I do wonder, the 2 mapslights (well the central one too) on the unit, all have 2-way switches. Either on or off. Does this means they don't turn on automatically when the door is opened?
    Or was this also done by modding the central connector?

This would mean that you can't choose it yourself if you want them to come on automatically or not at door-open, right?

I don't know if the coupe ever had this option, but on my vert I can also make the 2 little maplights come on or off with door-open. Actually I can set this function for all 3 lights independently, as all 3 lights have their own 3-way switch. "on/off/courtesy".

On the E38/E39 and all newer models, the lights are all controlled by a separate light module, which gives functions impossible to retrofit in our car. Like the way the steering wheel buttons are lit for example.

The big white connector, is that the domelight connector on the original E36 domelight? That is a big one. On my vert is a small, flat black connector with the mini pins.

And finally, did or didn't you hook the leds up to the interior dimmer switch? I did as this is how it is in the E38/E39. Although it's cool to just make them light maximum all the time, as I want it to be as original as possible, I wired them through the interior dimmer switch so they dimm with the rest of the interior lights.
    Hi MParallel I im looking at this post and the thing that popped in my head was I want to be able to dim the light with the rest of the interrior lights! can you explain how you managed to do that? I know it's a long time ago but any help is appreciated

My Cars
    BMW E36/Coupe/M42B18IS
    Hey dancerst, im new to the forum and I kinda see no activity at the moment, but there are no photos on the cuts and soldering and im a bit off right now. The instalation is finished but im a bit in the black, not understanding what I am supposed to solder and cut. I hope someone is still here to assist :/

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Hey, message me on my instagram @dmitrysviridovbmw

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234