Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An Example of Truly Impressive Turbo Engineering

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Excellent find!
    im lol. And then I saw your new sig pic.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    TURBO 99 M3, F82 M4
    Indeed, truly impressive! Now only if my wallet was as truly impressive as this!
    Mod list - M50 manifold; TechniqueTuning Stg2, Apex Arc-8, ZKW euro, clear corners Mike R diffbrace, Koni Yell with HR race
    X-brace UCC tranny mounts -BLK/with enforcers, powerflex rtabs,lcabs, AAfanclutch, mishimoto rad, UCC Ultra-cerametallic Clutch.
    You will go through days of joy and days of sadness as the pursuit for power leads to madness...

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted B View Post
    That's what Honda found in the late '80s. A friend just sent me an SAE paper by Honda with regard to BSFC during the turbo F1 era. Let me know if you want to see it.

I'd be interested in seeing that paper. Sounds like a good read.

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    incredible!

keep posting
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    CNC and CAD
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    I would love to see some of their work some day... truely amazing!
    They are in Greece Colby.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivenInnov View Post
    They are in Greece Colby.
    They haven't realized they've had an economic crisis yet

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    They haven't realized they've had an economic crisis yet
    Their IMF bailout was funnelled into beryllium pistons and titanium crankshafts.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Ted,

Thanks for posting this. Great thread.

For those that are interested in how he gets his #s, he's probably working with 4rstHead doing pre-build simulations.

And as an interesting fact about Greece: Probably the only country in the world that included illegal drugs and prostitution in it's GDP calculations. Of course they got caught by the European Union...but it must have been interesting to work those numbers out.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    sure its drool?

very cool stuff, if i only had that money.

also i like the DP and exhaust routing on the blue cosworth i think im going to do that ha ha.

Naturally, it's "drool". He just happened to have forgotten the bunny-ears. I, on the other hand, have to have HASMAT decontaminate my bedroom from the amount of "drool" unleashed at seeing that.

My Cars
    M3
    I just smiled BIG TIME reading through that. Thanks Ted.

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s
    Love it!

Anyone dare estimate the price breakdown(material cost + machine time + sleeving) on the CNC'd block? An open sourced bulletproof billet engine is a childhood dream....

The linked thread points alludes to: http://www.bulletcylinderheads.com.au/billetblocks.php

Who happen to make 2JZ billet blocks...

The 4-cylinder apparently is around $8,000 AUD [$7,975 usd] and the 6-cylinder $11,000 [1]

[1] http://www.driftworks.com/forum/tech...r20-rb-jz.html

SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

My Cars
    E36 M3. E46 M3
    Impressive !!! Only thing in common I have is the Cooper-beryllium valve seats, I've been using them for the last 3 years.

M50 3.2L, twin scroll MaximumPsi manifold +750 WHP @ 21 psi. OBDI tune, Vampire Knock controller, Racelogic TC, E46 M3 6 speed, UUC twin disk clutch, DSS new chromoly DS, DSS upgraded axles, DI aluminum intake manifold, 80lbs injectors.3" exhaust pipes with DMH cutout.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I guess we'll see a billet/titanium transmission case/gears, too, correct???
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    Projects like this are cool, but I always feel like they are a waste of money. Start with the best, then go from there. Hell, even rednecks can make 2000hp when they start with an LSX. The torque curve is going to be way more usable too. Very impressive build none the less.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Quote Originally Posted by n24tg View Post
    Projects like this are cool, but I always feel like they are a waste of money. Start with the best, then go from there. Hell, even rednecks can make 2000hp when they start with an LSX. The torque curve is going to be way more usable too. Very impressive build none the less.
    +1

For the build cost of this (has to be in the 6 figures if the block alone is 8-11k), I could have one crazy built kit car/tube chassis with a Ferrari/Lambo/Judd engine in it. Which one would impress more and which one would have more usable power? I just don't see the thrill in having a CNCed 4 banger block with half the rev band that is on par with a Honda Civic.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    95 m3, e46ix touring
    one of the best threads ever. cant stop looking at the awesome pictures.

Last edited by Boots; 12-21-2010 at 07:17 AM.

My Cars
    ofc
    question is, how they've got all that money to start such an expensive thing?
    what's their background?

Nice to see some real expensive work, finally.

My Cars
    2001 Integra Type R
    1st post, wow just wow...

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I read through all 27 pages of that thread. If you have time, read the thread. The guy seriously knows his stuff. I took engine design classes back in college and this guy put everything I learned to shame. I am truly at a loss for words. Absolutely amazing stuff. I wish I could get into that line of work. That is engineering at its finest.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I read through all 27 pages of that thread. If you have time, read the thread. The guy seriously knows his stuff. I took engine design classes back in college and this guy put everything I learned to shame. I am truly at a loss for words. Absolutely amazing stuff. I wish I could get into that line of work. That is engineering at its finest.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    That is engineering at its finest.
    It's really cool and all, but it's not engineering at it's finest.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by tfro View Post
    In the automotive world, I'd say it's pretty damn close.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by tfro View Post
    I agree with you. It's really expensive though.

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    +1

For the build cost of this (has to be in the 6 figures if the block alone is 8-11k), I could have one crazy built kit car/tube chassis with a Ferrari/Lambo/Judd engine in it. Which one would impress more and which one would have more usable power? I just don't see the thrill in having a CNCed 4 banger block with half the rev band that is on par with a Honda Civic.
    Dont knock it for what it is.

Also, i think Evos have more than proved they are capable of using just about ANY power you throw at it. A half-breed kit car with an off-the-shelf underpowered motor is not even on the same level as what this innovative pinnacle of all thought and engineering example is.

Why are you underplaying this motor build? Half the rev band on par with a honda civic? it has a 12k redline and hits full boost before 6k. What does your rev band look like? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    In the automotive world, I'd say it's pretty damn close.

Doug
    exactly, if your talking jet/rocket propulsion, not quite... but that was seriously funded by government for 90+ years now.

Indeed, this is someone saying I want to see what all our technology we have available to the public can do to make as much power as possible for this motor.

The limits we will see with this motor are truly the displacement limits for our technology today. Anything more and its where the phrase "no replacement for displacement" actually has a true meaning (when speaking about peak power).
    Last edited by rt turbo; 12-21-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    2006 Z4M
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    exactly, if your talking jet/rocket propulsion, not quite... but that was seriously funded by government for 90+ years now.
    turbomachinary

lotta parallels between FI and a turboshaft engine... some really cool stuff

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast