Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a cast SPA twin scroll manifold?

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5

Interest in a cast SPA twin scroll manifold?

There has been growing interest in twin scroll manifolds. The current options from various vendors are no doubt awesome, but also come at a price.
    I personally would love a "high-riding" bottom mount cast twin scroll manifold, for the short runner lengths, and durability that a cast iron manifold is known for. I was anxiously awaiting the TS Steedspeed manifold, but I doubt if that will ever happen.

I currently have a converstion open with SPA about the topic. The initial response was not a flat out "no", so I am optimistic.
    My idea is the manifold would look something like this:

You can see the first three runners wouldn't really change except for the addition of the wastegate port(angled toward the rear). This would feed the front TS port.
    Runners 4-6 would hump over top of the 1-3 exit and feed the rear TS port. The original wastegate port could probably remain unchanged. SPA asked if we would prefer T4, T3 or both. My guess is most interest would be in the T4 option, but comments are welcome.

I made this post mainly to gather interest and to learn about any issues members have seen with the current open housing manifold so that any improvements could be integrated into this design.

Let me know your thoughts!

My Cars
    e30
    I think this would be an excellent option for 95% of the people out there.

I was thinking of designing a TS cast manifold a while ago....but I dont have an M50 or an E36 so I wasn't sure what the constraints were.

T4 divided would most definitely be the flange to use.

If SPA needed some development help, I would be interested to help out for the community.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I agree this would be an excellent option for 95% of M3 turbo builds. The Spa is much of the way there already with its 1-3 and 4-6 runner design. It just needs to divide the paths all the way to the flange and add the second wastegate port. I agree that the twinscroll would be most important for larger turbos, which means first developing the manifold for T4 would make the most sense.

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I agree this would be an excellent option for 95% of M3 turbo builds. The Spa is much of the way there already with its 1-3 and 4-6 runner design. It just needs to divide the paths all the way to the flange and add the second wastegate port. I agree that the twinscroll would be most important for larger turbos, which means first developing the manifold for T4 would make the most sense.
    The SPA T4 manifold with the optinal waste gate pipe creates boost creep. We at ICS bore the waste gate hole and fabricate and weld a larger wastegate pipe to accommodate the Tial 44 WG.

We have used an 11 psi spring and see 11 11.5 psi without any boost creep, for an inexpensive manifold with some alterations it works well.

-George Kakaketris
    Last edited by ICS Performance; 01-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    100% agree it would be fantastic for the community!

Especially with the recent accomplishments of the T4 open Spa manifold on handbuilt's car producing over 600whp on 93 octain with a divided gt4094r.

Just imagine if the manifold took advantage of the divided turbine housing!

Plus it is at the right price, it is cast and it allows for over subframe charge piping = WIN +WIN + WIN + WIN = QUADRUPLE WIN!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    e30
    There are very few T3 divided housings out there. The T3 divided housings are all diesel based too (yes the ATP Garrett ones).

Pretty much any petrol turbo housing thats divided will be T4.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    skateboard
    A twin scroll spa would be awesome.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    ... Let's try to have this completely worked out before fall so that I can buy one.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    ... Let's try to have this completely worked out before fall so that I can buy one.
    By fall time twin scrolls will be old hat
    6 waste gates FTW
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrĐęr§ţđr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Have someone send it to The East for redesign
    and happy Finnish "massaged" WG porps.

We shant lose our integrity now.
    Last edited by milKt; 01-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    By fall time twin scrolls will be old hat
    6 waste gates FTW
    Yes and full blown fire suppression systems for wannabe DIY'ers who have the local FD's hard at work putting fires.

It doesn't matter when they are produced, but if they are produced is what matters. That's the key. No hidden attack riddles while the fire department puts out fires because improperly installed setups. While knives hang out of spines.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ICS Performance View Post
    The SPA T4 manifold with the optinal waste gate pipe creates boost creep. We at ICS bore the waste gate hole and fabricate and weld a larger wastegate pipe to accommodate the Tial 44 WG.

We have used an 11 psi spring and see 11 11.5 psi without any boost creep, for an inexpensive manifold with some alterations it works well.

-George Kakaketris
    Same as I did on mine. Damn glad to see ya back here George!
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Yes and full blown fire suppression systems for wannabe DIY'ers who have the local FD's hard at work putting fires.
    What is with the 1000 recent post about fires and home fabrication about lately? Soooo lost....

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Can they keep the cost down? I want a T4, twinscroll, performance of tubular, strength of cast, no boost creep, doesn't require scavenge pump setup, and reasonably priced....now go!

Good to see you back George!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Side question while we wait for to see the prototype...

What causes boost creep? How do you avoid it/treat the symptoms?

... a little reading and searching seems to mostly say a big turbo hooked up to a small waste gate.

I would assume that a T4 Manifold set up for twin scroll would have a wastegate that would support a gt40r @ 20psi but I'm optimistic
    Last edited by RobertFontaine; 01-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    Same as I did on mine. Damn glad to see ya back here George!
    Glad to be back, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Can they keep the cost down? I want a T4, twinscroll, performance of tubular, strength of cast, no boost creep, doesn't require scavenge pump setup, and reasonably priced....now go!

Good to see you back George!
    Thank You, it's quite an impressive manifold for someone looking for a budget build or not a fan of an oil scavenge pump. When installing a large frame turbo you will need to massage the block a bit to accommodate fitment and again bore out the waste gate hole in the manifold to avoid boost creep.

I can see the SPA T-4 making 800 - 900 WHP if needed.

-George Kakaletris

My Cars
    e30
    What causes boost creep? How do you avoid it/treat the symptoms?
    The cause is the wastegate cannot flow enough to exacuate the exhaust gas needed. What you should be exhausting but are not continues to spool the turbo over the desired level.

The main cause is not enough flow to the wastegate. If you look at many manifolds you will notice wastegate flow is pretty much the lowest priority. A larger gate helps if the gate is truly the choke point, but its usually poor flow to the wastegate AKA 90deg tube slapped on the runners, not a nice transition.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by ICS Performance

Thank You, it's quite an impressive manifold for someone looking for a budget build or not a fan of an oil scavenge pump. When installing a large frame turbo you will need to massage the block a bit to accommodate fitment and again bore out the waste gate hole in the manifold to avoid boost creep.

I can see the SPA T-4 making 800 - 900 WHP if needed.

-George Kakaletris
    Thanks George! I currently have the AA log manifold, so this is good feedback. I wasn't sure how big of a turbo fits on the current SPA. I think the GT40 size is about as big as you can go. Is there any value in changing the location of the new exit another 1/2" or so away from the block, or just not mess with it - will frame clearance become an issue?
    (Keeping in mind the more we change from the current manifold casting mold, the more cost, and the less likely this will even be a viable product)

Will twin 38mm wastegates be sufficient(especially if they can be bored out to 44 if needed)?

My Cars
    e30
    Does anyone have a damaged SPA manifold? Does the SPA or the AA put the turbo in the best location?
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Does anyone have a damaged SPA manifold? Does the SPA or the AA put the turbo in the best location?
    From what I gather the Spa manifold:
    -places the turbo high enough not to need a scavenge pump (might be relative to size of turbo though).
    -with the right motor mount allows for above subframe charge pipe routing which is absolutely ideal.

BIG BIG bonuses there!

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    From what I gather the Spa manifold:
    -places the turbo high enough not to need a scavenge pump (might be relative to size of turbo though).
    -with the right motor mount allows for above subframe charge pipe routing which is absolutely ideal.

BIG BIG bonuses there!
    I think the Spa manifold has always been the better of the cast manifolds. If you had to place them in order it would be

#1 Spa
    #2 AA
    #3 ThreadStone
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    I think the Spa manifold has always been the better of the cast manifolds. If you had to place them in order it would be

#1 Spa
    #2 AA
    #3 ThreadStone
    I personally would put it:
    #1 Spa
    #2 TreadStone
    #3 AA

This is because both Spa and Treadstone are shaped with runners staying as seperated as possible to act more like a tubular manifold.

The AA is a pure log style.

The AA does place the turbo very high which is nice.

Also...looking at dyno sheets it is hard to see if there really is much of a difference in flow characteristics. The only way one would know is to do a back-to-back-to-back Dynojet comparison with all else other than manifold being equal and that would be a tall tall order.

Factoid: Treadstone is not available in T4 AFAIK.

Factoid: I do not believe AA manifold can be purchase in T4 but might be incorrect and the AA is much much more expensive and is heavier as well.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I personally would put it:
    #1 Spa
    #2 TreadStone
    #3 AA

This is because both Spa and Treadstone are shaped with runners staying as seperated as possible to act more like a tubular manifold.

The AA is a pure log style.

The AA does place the turbo very high which is nice.

Also...looking at dyno sheets it is hard to see if there really is much of a difference in flow characteristics. The only way one would know is to do a back-to-back-to-back Dynojet comparison with all else other than manifold being equal and that would be a tall tall order.

Factoid: Treadstone is not available in T4 AFAIK.

Factoid: I do not believe AA manifold can be purchase in T4 but might be incorrect and the AA is much much more expensive and is heavier as well.
    I guess I place AA at number 2 based on what CardCounter/ICS/AA did with it back in the day.

I'm not sure if CardCounter was a T4 or modded to be 1.

Maybe he or George can chime in about that?
    Last edited by GG///M3; 01-11-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    I guess I place AA at number 2 based on what CardCounter/ICS/AA did with it back in the day.

I'm not sure if CardCounter was a T4 or modded to be 1.

Maybe he or George can chime in about that?
    Good point.

AA has produced amazing results period. I guess it depends on what one is evaluating. If it is sheer performance from actual trial & error proof...AA is #2 for sure...maybe even slight #1.

If you add in cost, weight, flow style...I put it #3. These days the cost is a big factor and really a big reason why the T4 Spa seems to be an absolute CRUSHER.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Good point.

AA has produced amazing results period. I guess it depends on what one is evaluating. If it is sheer performance from actual trial & error proof...AA is #2 for sure...maybe even slight #1.

If you add in cost, weight, flow style...I put it #3. These days the cost is a big factor and really a big reason why the T4 Spa seems to be an absolute CRUSHER.
    Korrect.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast