Thread: New BMW Owner - Saying hello and need advice

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi

New BMW Owner - Saying hello and need advice

I have always admired BMW cars and have been fortunate to finally get one. I leased the 2011 BMW 328xi (white/chestnut) after having the Audi Q5 for little over a year. Audi Q5 was good but realized it wasn't really what I really wanted i.e. a fun and fast driving machine.

I am also new in Columbus, OH and apparently it snows as much as NJ over here. Wanted your opinion on if I should get winter tires installed; If yes - do I need to get the rims as well and would also appreciate if there are specific brands that are better (or look for something on Tirerack.com etc)

I will be taking delivery in a day and will post pics as soon as I have the car.

Thanks

10 Audi Q5 (sold)
    06 Acura TSX (sold)
    02 Suzuki Aerio SX (still driving--surprisingly highest fuel efficient car I've owned)

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Welcome and congrats. Please post on the tire section for tire/wheel advice.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    '12 535i
    Hey man, welcome to bimmerforums! You'll love it here, tons of information all at your fingertips.

If you're ganna be driving in the snow frequently, I'd say definitely head over to the tire & wheel section and get some input there. You'll be able to make a better decision.

Cheer!
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrican5547 View Post
    I would def. put her eyes in a jar on a shelf in my room.

My Cars
    '11 335is; '07 335xi
    Hey decca! Welcome to the forums. I am just up the interstate from you in Medina (I-71 and Rt. 18). The tire/wheel forums are helpful but I will say that you do not get that much snow in Columbus compared to the rest of Ohio. Your xi with all-season tires should be fine. I have an '07 335xi with all season/sport tires and have no troubles at all.

My Cars
    '11 335i Convertible
    I would say that a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires is optimal. That way you can run summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter. All seasons are a compromise - but one which may be "good enough," depending on what you want from the car. When I lived in NJ I ran with all seasons on my E36, for years and thought it was fine, though I avoided driving it in heavy snows. But later I switched to dedicated winter & summer set ups, and it really opened my eyes to a level of performance that I had been missing. I am much more confident in the winter, and enjoying much better handling in the summer. I'm not sure about the Columbius area, but if you get the lake effect snows like they do in Toledo or Cleveland I would really recommend getting winter tires. Even if you don't get a lot of snow, a set of high performance winter tires like the Dunop Winter Sport 3D's work much better on cold dry pavement than do all seasons - they have none of the "squirminess" that some winter tires have.

My Cars
    335D
    Welcome!

My Cars
    89 325ix - 02 M3
    Welcome to the forums, check craigslist or the wheel/tire section and pick up a cheap set of wheels to mount your snows on. Or mount snows on your stock wheels and pick up a nice set of aftermarkets for summer use. Since your leasing I would bet your gonna want a set just for winter, which you can sell when you lease is up.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
    I lived in Columbus for 30 years before migrating south, and I would say you should be fine with the standard set up on the 328xi. There is the occasional really heavy snow, but they are decent about pre-treating and removal up there. The all-seasons on the 328xi do the job well enough with the awd, based on a thread I was reading the other day in the wheel and tire forum.

I'm assuming your car does not have any of the options that delete the all-season tires for performance tires.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Thanks all for your valuable inputs....much appreciated.

I finally decided to get the 225/45R17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D winter performance tires without the wheels. I am getting them installed at the dealership. Got these from tire rack. Will get them installed on current wheels.

My Cars
    2009 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by deccandreams View Post
    Thanks all for your valuable inputs....much appreciated.

I finally decided to get the 225/45R17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D winter performance tires without the wheels. I am getting them installed at the dealership. Got these from tire rack. Will get them installed on current wheels.
    I live just north of Columbus and have been getting by OK with the all-season on my 328xi. After previously owning a X3, I find that ground clearance is the biggest limiting factor in a big snowfall. That said, your snows will give you a little extra margin and will save miles on your expensive runflats.