Thread: e36 m3 dinan SC and intake temps...

My Cars
    98 E36M V8

e36 m3 dinan SC and intake temps...

hey guys, so i read the intake temps at normal operating temps. given that I'm in Hawaii and it's winter pretty much every season of the year (just kidding), I'd assume that my intake temps would remain relatively constant throughout all 4 seasons.

my intake temps at the temp sensor was 170 degrees give or take a few according to an OBD II scanner. ambient temps in hawaii are around mid to high 70s to somewhere in the 80s on most days.

I was brainstorming ideas of how to bring down my intake temps on a budget. clearly i could go with the water-alch injection kits, or the RMS aftercooler to name a couple, but i had another great idea.

my Subaru friend suggested, what if i went with a top mounted air-to-air intercooler-type setup and went with a minor hood scoop and heat vents near the rear of the hood for better flow. I thought this job wouldn't be too difficult given the fact that i have a fiberglass hood. The only problem is that i'd turn my car into a subie-looking thing, or a muscle car looking thing.

thoughts?

if i can get this to work, then it opens a few possibilities allowing me to eventually up the boost (changing pulleys).

*Please be nice. no ad hominem comments, please.
    Last edited by asinapple8805; 12-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    From what I heard recently about some comparison dynos between DINAN vs NA e36 cars its very possible that the Dinan SC set up is robbing your car of WHpower.

A top mounted air/air sounds a bit silly and much effort for little/no gains.
    Even after paying $1500+ for a water/air AFTERcooler, you'd see minimal gains.

Sell it and buy a turbo or twinscrew set up for pauer you can FEEL.
    Save your money,
    look at the decently priced E36 options
    and step up to a new level.