Thread: oil leak.... oil pan gasket.....

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I

oil leak.... oil pan gasket.....

well my car recently started leaking oil.. sadly. its not super major but from what you can tell by taking off the bottom panels is the whole bottom oil pan is covered in oil or the residue from most of it being burnt from while i was driving it. i have the car on jack stands lifted right now and am cleaning the bottom to make sure after i drive it that, thats where the oil is coming from for sure. but how much would i be looking at for repair cost? i know the gasket wont be much but i know the work to do it myself would be time consuming and between training,school, work everyday theres not much i can do at the moment. ill have some pictures posted in a moment.

here are some random shots of the bottom. as you can see the oil is all located around the gasket.nothing is above that area.
    Last edited by SK8URDEAD; 12-02-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    325i Topaz Bluuu
    Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I'd start by cleaning it thoroughly (garden hose and spray degreaser), then slightly tightening all the pan gasket bolts. That's practically no work, compared to replacing the gasket. Then check it again after a couple hundred miles of driving.

Ray/Smilez has replaced his oil pan after hitting a big rock.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    hmm seems nice and easy. ill try that out its just i was surprised at how much came out. noticed it on monday and just left the car home since ive been busy and it leaked pretty badly. uploading the photos to show but ill do what you said in the mean time and go buy a quart since ill need some oil.

well here are the pictures. as you can see that is quite a bit of oil. thats after i cleaned up a tad but but i have to keep cleaning but thanks for looking going with the advice i was giving.
    Last edited by SK8URDEAD; 12-02-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    325i Topaz Bluuu
    Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    I'd start by cleaning it thoroughly (garden hose and spray degreaser), then slightly tightening all the pan gasket bolts. That's practically no work, compared to replacing the gasket. Then check it again after a couple hundred miles of driving.

Ray/Smilez has replaced his oil pan after hitting a big rock.
    dont remind me.

it's a pain in the A$$ to do. you have to remove the front axle, along with the control arms, and you need to hold the engine up with a cherry picker.

you have to remove

so the shop will charge you a nice penny to replace it.
    Last edited by Smilez; 12-02-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

Hornung418 is offline Kyle of DeVry Institute BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    +1
    I need to do this as well and that is clearly the easiest option.
    06/99 328I | 124K MILES | M54B30 MANIFOLD SWAP | MS42 -> MS43 DME CONVERSION | STILL JUST AS SLOW AS EVER

My Cars
    2 MINI R56s
    My car looked just like that when I bought it. I ended up replacing the oil filter housing gasket and VCG.
    2009 Horizon Blue/Jet Black Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White/Jet Black Justa 6spd

It is funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in a Echo or an Escalade.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I bet the shop would charge near $1k for that....

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    That's an oil filter houseing gasket, see the honey comb looking section of the block above the oil pan. When that gets oil soaked its from a failed oil houseing gasket. Mine looked the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    You should be very happy my colleague said that...^^^

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    My car leaked oil like that too. It took me a while to figure out where it was leaking from. Oil stopped leaking after I replaced oli filter housing gasket. It took me one afternoon and I'm just a regular college student. So I recommend doing it by yourself.

My Cars
    2005 330ci ZHP 6MT
    +1 for the oil filter housing gasket. That's exactly what mine looked like before I fixed it.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659100
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...32#post9614732

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers, Piano Black Grills, LED Interiors/Plate Lights, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    ahh very nice. that looks more like where it is comming from and sounds a whole lot easier to take care of.
    325i Topaz Bluuu

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I did my oil filter housing gasket not too long ago; there's a thread about it around here somewhere. It's way more common than a leaking oil pan gasket.

It took me about 4 hours but that includes working slowly, taking pictures, thoroughly cleaning EVERYthing, and cleaning my garage floor afterward. If you're not worried about cleaning every part you touch, and you're pretty handy with a wrench, you could probably get it done in about 90 minutes.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    ok so im following that diy and i must say my car looks like everything is just sexy but dirty lol. also the alternator i thought was going to be difficult but what i noticed was where the bottom of the altinator if you get a extension about a foot and bang the bottom of it softly it pops out of place super easy. took me less then 5 minutes to unbolt it and take it out of place ill post the photos soon along with my tools used.
    325i Topaz Bluuu

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    ok so im following that diy and i must say my car looks like everything is just sexy but dirty lol. also the alternator i thought was going to be difficult but what i noticed was where the bottom of the altinator if you get a extension about a foot and bang the bottom of it softly it pops out of place super easy. took me less then 5 minutes to unbolt it and take it out of place ill post the photos soon along with my tools used.

ok so i have the whole thing taken apart. sadly my gasket is not broken or has any cracks. i just believe the bolts came un-done pretty easy. either way just to remain safe im going to purchase a new gasket and clean up everything and see if she leaks again.
    Last edited by SK8URDEAD; 12-03-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    325i Topaz Bluuu