RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 18 Parts for Valve gasket change?

My Cars
    E36 M3's

18 Parts for Valve gasket change?

I've searched and can't really find the answer to this questions. Bimmer parts has 18 parts listed under valve gasket change: 1 valve gasket, 15 rubber washers for the cap nuts, and 2 spark plug gaskets. Are all these needed to properly change valve cover gasket? Mine is leaking like a sieve! Also, should I change my nuts for valve cover? What is the proper torque on nuts and spark plugs? Thank You for Your Time!
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    325iS
    you can buy all those extra thing if you want, some people will probably tell you to...but i just got the valve cover gasket and used the old bolts and rubber washers

be careful tightening the valve cover, those nuts strip easily

and just tighten the spark plugs until there good and tight, not too tight just till it stops turning and then turn it a little more

My Cars
    93 240x fastback
    It is recommended to replaced everything, that is what i did and i have not had any problems. Im sure someone will know the exact reason not to re-use the spark plug gaskets and rubber washers, but i think it is because they are rubber and prone to cracking, so better safe than sorry. It is really easy to do. No need to change the nuts unless they look like they are wearing and becoming stripped.

^dan

My Cars
    1998 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro, Just sold '94 BMW 325i
    I replaced mine this summer, i would do em all. Like above said, rubber is prone to cracking. It is no more work to replace them while you are at it, and most of the time all of the washers come with the valve gasket anyway.

my .02
    Sam

<iframe src="http://www.itwy.com/womack/bmw.jpg" width="477" height="214" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

1994 325i
    Boston Green / Tan Leather
    New Exhaust
    JET Chip
    Custom Intake

My Cars
    Pokeball
    i think the spark plug torque is 18 to 22 ft-lbs depending on the size of the thread... i'm not sure which 3-series models had which thread size,,, but my 328is had the smaller of the two used thread sizes so i torqued it to 18 ft-lb.