Thread: 97 M3 Winshield cowl help

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

97 M3 Winshield cowl help

I was hoping someone could help me with my 97 M3 coupe windshield cowl.
    I just picked up the car and the cowl was mangled ,so I got a new one.
    My question is what kind of clip holds the corner down?I have the round ones but they don't appear to be right for the corners.
    Any help or photos would be appreciated.
    I have searched and searched but couldn't find a picture of the corner.
    TIA

My Cars
    97 Cosmos M3/2/5
    Are you looking for the plastic screw part number? I just replaced mine and re-used my screws but used the clips with the p/n that I believe was on the DIY.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

97 M3 coupe cowl

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.The screw post in the corner,what goes on that?There wasn't anything on there when I got the car,so I flying blind.
    I found a part number for a corner molding on realoem.com

51718153751 for one side and 51718153752 for the other side

Before I buy them I'd like to be sure they're what I need.

My Cars
    97 Cosmos M3/2/5
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...51&fg=20&hl=34

Number 14 p/n:

I had like 5 or 6 of them that attached to the outside of the cowl. I also had 2 different type that I dont see on that parts breakdown. The item num. 14 should work for all of the screw posts though.

Number 7 may be the other type of screw that I had, there were only 2 and I believe they were on the corners, but I'm not sure, the picture isnt very good. I'd think that num. 14 will work for all of them (they screw on).

I didnt have any of the corner moulding? Maybe my car didnt have it or whatever, but I'm not missing it, the cowl worked fine. You will have to adjust the little white clips to fit in your individual car spacing, which may or may not be a pain.

Edit: If you want I can take a pic of mine later and post it up. Hope this helps
    Last edited by electr0fryin; 11-29-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: revision

My Cars
    1999 BMW 332is

My Cars
    97 Cosmos M3/2/5
    He has a coupe, the link you posted is DIY for a sedan.

And I think he already used the DIY, but it doesnt list the p/n for those fasteners, only the clips and grommets (i'm pretty sure, anyway).

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Thanks for the help.
    I already have the round ones 51718153561 M9
    I noticed on Pelican parts that they list 6 as the number needed but there are 8 posts altogether,that and that the rounds ones didn't fit right (too high)in the corner,made me think something else goes there.
    Hopefully someone with an e36 coupe can put this to rest.

# 15 on that real oem diagram that electrofryin posted is the one I THINK I need actually 2 one for each side
    Last edited by GeezerM3; 11-29-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 BMW 332is
    Oops, since its a 97, I assumed it was a sedan for some reason. But when I did it on my coupe, I marked where my wiper bladers were with a sharpie. Then poped off the cover and used a 13mm socket to take them off, then took out the plastic screws and started unclipping it. I'd just use new clips since they are only a few cents a piece.

My Cars
    97 Cosmos M3/2/5
    I dont think it's part 15 on that diagram.

On mine it was just a different kind of circular cover that was deeper than those convex round ones. I'm trying to find a picture of one but am having difficulties. If no one can tell you better than I before the end of hte day I'll take a pic with my phone tonight and post it up for you.

edit: if you pm me your phone number i'll just text a picture for you if you want. It may help you in your search anyway...
    Last edited by electr0fryin; 11-29-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: revision

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by electr0fryin View Post
    I dont think it's part 15 on that diagram.

On mine it was just a different kind of circular cover that was deeper than those convex round ones. I'm trying to find a picture of one but am having difficulties. If no one can tell you better than I before the end of hte day I'll take a pic with my phone tonight and post it up for you.

edit: if you pm me your phone number i'll just text a picture for you if you want. It may help you in your search anyway...
    Maybe I'm just overthinking it and should just trim the bottom off one of the round ones so it will snug down closer to the cowl.I think I may even have some black plastic nuts that would work fine,I was just trying to keep it factory.

If you do have a photo or more info please pass it along and thanks again for the replies.

My Cars
    97 Cosmos M3/2/5
    Ahh, I looked at it the other day to see if I had anything on those posts. I did not and my cowl is going fine, so...I guess I'll just leave it like it is, I'd imagine I'd remember if I had to do anything special to get that off. I'll take a look around the garage later and see if I may have just forgot to put something back on there, but all I remember taking off is those fasteners and the cowl just came right out.

Hmm...now I'm wondering if I forgot something, maybe you're right about those other pieces...

Im interested in what goes there though, if it's only a couple bucks for a couple pieces I'll probably juts go ahead and order em on my next pelican parts order which will be here in a week or so
    Last edited by electr0fryin; 12-01-2010 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by electr0fryin View Post
    Ahh, I looked at it the other day to see if I had anything on those posts. I did not and my cowl is going fine, so...I guess I'll just leave it like it is, I'd imagine I'd remember if I had to do anything special to get that off. I'll take a look around the garage later and see if I may have just forgot to put something back on there, but all I remember taking off is those fasteners and the cowl just came right out.

Hmm...now I'm wondering if I forgot something, maybe you're right about those other pieces...

Im interested in what goes there though, if it's only a couple bucks for a couple pieces I'll probably juts go ahead and order em on my next pelican parts order which will be here in a week or so
    Yea,I put it on the back burner for now,hopefully someone will give us a definitive answer on what goes on the corner posts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    If you'll look on the backside of each corner moulding, 51718153751 for the left side and 51718153752 for the right, you'll see a small hole. This hole fits over the threaded post holding the ends of the cowl in place. The cowl itself has a hook shape on the end that fits around the post with the corner moulding snapped in on top. Just looking at the moulding I couldn't tell which end was what until I looked at the original part while it was still in place. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the hood out of the way without taking it completely off.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Put the hood in the service position.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Hello guys.

Do I need to take the hood off to mount corner mouldings? My hood doesn't have the bolt for "service position" , just 2 struts with total 4 clips. It's very tight in the corners and I don't know how to fit it there. I don't understand how to do it as I haven't had them on my car before I changed the windshield cowl. Does anybody have a picture of it in place? It's about a Coupe.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    It's part number 15, corner molding, left/right. Just a push on piece.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    I have them both at home because I can't figure out how to mount them on the car. There is sooo little room for putting them there. Need some picture of them mounted in place. Should they be placed before windshield cowl or after?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by bl00keRs View Post
    Hello guys.

Do I need to take the hood off to mount corner mouldings? My hood doesn't have the bolt for "service position" , just 2 struts with total 4 clips. It's very tight in the corners and I don't know how to fit it there. I don't understand how to do it as I haven't had them on my car before I changed the windshield cowl. Does anybody have a picture of it in place? It's about a Coupe.
    They all have a service position, although the coupe/vert is very different from the sedan/touring/compact.

The front torx bolt on the hinge is a grub screw. Take these out and you can pull the hood an inch or 2/2.5 forward and than it’s easy to pop the corner pieces in place.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    I have discovered how to put the hood in the service mode last week and it's exactly that bolt like on pictures in post #18 ... and these corner mouldings are on place too. Thank you anyway.

I supply you with a picture of position they need to be in the corner. I had my old but they were veeeery old in the corner long inside and hided a bit and first I couldn't see them with all dirt over there. Could only replace them when hood was in the service mode position, otherwise there is no place to put them inside. Right is for driver and left is passenger. In that position they need to be mounted.

Last edited by bl00keRs; 04-21-2018 at 04:55 AM.

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3, '11 E90 M3
    Anyone have a photo of how the corner moulding pieces (51718153751 and 51718153752) are supposed to fit? Specifically the little flap portion of it, does that get tucked into the fender or does it go into the windshield moulding?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Tucked into the fender, it becomes obvious when installing

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3, '11 E90 M3
    Thank you. I tucked the "flap" into the space between the fender and A-pillar. It was also possible to insert the flap into the channel of the windshield moulding but that didn't seem right.

Hard to photograph but here are a few pics in case it helps anyone else.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 Cabrio
    Bro, you are a God, I've been searching for some extra info on this and your photos really helped, even created an account just to thank u.