Thread: Headlight Assembly Removal

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i

Headlight Assembly Removal

Need some help with removing the headlight assemblies from my 2000 528i ( E39) model. Have the new assemblies in hand, just need to know if this is something that I can undertake myself. Top two 8mm hex heads are easy to get to. The problem lies with the bottom two. Any suggestions would be helpful, outside of removing the entire front bumper! Thanks!!

FB

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    The bottom two bolts are not hard to get to at all. You just need to be careful and not drop them. A telescopic magnet tool is a good tool to have just in case.
    Headlight Polishing/Refinishing

- or -

Headlight Adjusters/Covers Replacement

Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-28-2010 at 03:46 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i

Headlight Assy Replacement

Thanks for the help. Completed the job in under an hour. Car looks new now. Thanks for pointing out the screw head locations. A very happy camper now!!!

FB528i

Now to tackle that windshield gasket. ( think I'll wait until next summer when it's warmer in the garage!!)

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt
    A friend of mine does auto glass replacement and says that it is much better to work with any kind of rubber molding when its warm out. The moldings are less stiff and therefore less likely to get damaged when being forced into a tight space and the adhesives cure faster too. Not to mention the fact that your hands will feel much better.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Headlight Polishing/Refinishing

That guy did an amazing job on his & they look brand new. I have always wanted to purchase brand new units because I didn't want to invest the time. But, that thread might make me think differently now.