Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illuminated Gear Lever Position

My Cars
    525iA '93 EUR-Version

Illuminated Gear Lever Position

Good evening,

first, I would say sorry for my bad english - I'm from germany. But I've a question espacilly to users, of BMW E34 US-Version.

German/Europe E34 haven't illuminated Automatic gear lever at all, but the plate with the letters "P-R-N-D-4-3-2" we can also order from US Versions to get them illuminated with help of a light bulb. German E34 haven't those parts, they must be orderd subsequently from the US BMW catalog.

But i can not find the part, wich shows the exactly Position of the Shift Lever. Next to the letters are "points" for the position, but how are they lit on US-E34? I can not find any parts which can do this. Is there anything on the Shiftlever rod, what goes with it when the lever moves?

I hope you can understand what I'm talking about - it's the red point between the letters (P-R-N-D-4-3-2) and the Shift Lever at it's self. The point, which is moving to the correct letter, when you move the shift lever.

Can someone show me pics of the other side of the Shift lever surround? There must be anything, that isn't stored in the BMW spare parts catalog at all.

Thank you anyway!

My Cars
    90535ia 09MuranoSL
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-xlxsi9FY[/ame]

Is this what you are looking for? PM Shogun for details.
    BMW CCA #434501
    [ 127k Miles | Dinan Engine & Trans chips | LSD | AFE Pro 5 R Air Filter | ANSA Exhaust | BavAuto Springs | Bilstein Sport shocks | | Racing Dynamics front strut brace | BavAuto DTM Lip | Driver-side wiper arm upgrade | Euro LKM ECE-B | French Market E1 Spec Hella Lows (HID 4500K 55w DDM Raptor v2) and Highs (Osram Nightbreaker +90)
    | HID Projector Fogs - 3000K 35w DDM Raptor v2 | LED Interior lights with Shogun's Dimmer kit | 7 Series Rear Map lights | Euro clear parking, tail and signal lamps]

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yes, and I even have the perfect installation instructions in German language
    Installation Gangkulisse (Ganganzeige) E32 / E34, geile Sache von Erich
    http://www.7-forum.com/forum/24/inst...le-104284.html

@Schladdi
    melde Dich hier an, da wird Dir geholfen
    http://www.e34.de/

still have some on stock for the X-mas season, also the interior dimmer light modules
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1377691

and for special customers the one touch all 4 windows up AND down module
    that would be something for you, IT Jedi
    you can make these nice instruction manuals....
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    525iA '93 EUR-Version
    No, it's not the version I'm talking about.
    I know that shogun offers a after market solution to get the letters and the position illuminated.

But I'm asking for the OEM solution. Some US E34 I've seen have the red point between the letters and the shift lever bold!

Look at the picture on the bottom, it's a stock OEM US shift lever surround.

@shogun: Ich bins, Zlatko aus dem E34 Forum! Mir geht es um den roten Punkt der die Wählhebelposition anzeigt. Das man die Buchstaben beleuchtet bekommt (mit BMW Teilen) ist mir klar, aber ich finde nirgendwo, wie BMW das bei den US-Modellen mit dem Punkt realisiert hat. Daher hätte ich gern ein solches Vesperbrett von unten gesehen.

My Cars
    1986 535i, 2012 X5 50i
    That red dot is actually a piece of plastic that sits on a notch of the black plastic cover (the one that eventually breaks in many little pieces). Maybe all you need are parts 12 through 17?

Go to www.realoem.com and check part numbers or buy it from a used US car.

Good Luck!
    Jimmy Moreno
    BMW CCA 115551
    1986 535i, Arctic Blue
    2012 X5 XDrive 501, Sparkling Bronze Metallic

My Cars
    525iA '93 EUR-Version
    Quote Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
    That red dot is actually a piece of plastic that sits on a notch of the black plastic cover (the one that eventually breaks in many little pieces).
    You talk about Part 11 on the picture you've posted. That was my idea too, but this plastic part has allways the same spare part number (51161938352), whether i choose german or us-version - allways the same nubmer. Here in germany i've ordered this part allready, because mine was broken too. But there is no red dot on it.

Maybe you can show me a picture of that plastic part with that dot?

Maybe all you need are parts 12 through 17?
    Part 12 is the cover. There are difference here between europe and us version, but only on the top, because the illuminated plate with the letters from the us models is stuck on the cover. The european version without the illuminated letters is clicked on the cover only. Nothing to do with the dot.
    Last edited by Schladdi; 11-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Quote Originally Posted by Schladdi View Post

Part 12 is the cover. There are difference here between europe and us version, but only on the top, because the illuminated plate with the letters from the us models is stuck on the cover. The european version without the illuminated letters is clicked on the cover only. Nothing to do with the dot.
    you are aware that only SOME US cars came that way, right?

94-95 or maybe 93 94 95?

All the other ones were just like yours, non-illuminated.
    I know 92 and earlier were the same as yours.

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    I found it!

Here is the part numbers, they must be correct as the name even says it's for the illuminated gear indicator..

Preselect.lever cover with lighting 51168145555 - $26.73
    ILLUMINATED GEAR INDICATOR COVER 51168147468 - $7.50

And as said, they are US parts only.. Which realOEM will confirm if you search them.

Anyone noticed how easy it is to browse parts on realOEM now? Feels great browsing around now!
    Last edited by M Quick; 11-29-2010 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    95 540i, 87 325i vert
    Shogun always has the neatest shit I swear!

My Cars
    525iA '93 EUR-Version
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    you are aware that only SOME US cars came that way, right?

94-95 or maybe 93 94 95?

All the other ones were just like yours, non-illuminated.
    I know 92 and earlier were the same as yours.
    Yes, it seems that only last US E34 have this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Miche View Post
    I found it!

Here is the part numbers, they must be correct as the name even says it's for the illuminated gear indicator..
    Sorry, but i know this parts you've listed. I've ordered them:

Preselect.lever cover with lighting 51168145555 - $26.73
    This is a transparent plastic "bold" wich fits directly under the plate with the letters. This part distributes the light from the light bulb ove the hole letter-plate.

ILLUMINATED GEAR INDICATOR COVER 51168147468 - $7.50
    And this is the plate, with the letters on. They are two versions available with the endnumber -468 or -469, for the 4 and 5 gear transmissions.

I know those parts, i've bought them allready - but those parts also had nothing to do with the red dot. The red dot must be fitted on a part, wich is moving with the gear lever bold. And the only part which is moving together with the bold, is the plastic part on the part 11 on the realOEM picture in the post of jimoreno.
    The dot must be fittet on this part i think - but i'm interested, how it looks.

Thank you for your support anyway!
    Last edited by Schladdi; 11-29-2010 at 05:27 PM.

My Cars
    1986 535i, 2012 X5 50i
    When I replaced my broken part #11, I had to cut a notch in it to "hook" the plastic part with the red line in it. I had to remove the plastic letter piece by lifting it to gain access to a screw and then you see the plastic piece with the red line. I did notice that it doesn't show up as a separate part in Realoem.
    Miche: Yep. I was pleasantly surprised today when I went in to look this up. I like the new setup!
    Jimmy Moreno
    BMW CCA 115551
    1986 535i, Arctic Blue
    2012 X5 XDrive 501, Sparkling Bronze Metallic

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but do you have more of these? Or instructions on how to make them oneself?
    have 5 sets of the latest version 2.1 on stock now. To make them by yourselves is like inventing the wheel again. It took us more than a year to solve the last probs, tested many different GM's of different part numbers, built year and country version, even sent a test unit to Australia as there were some probs with an AUS version GM, also on an 32 Alpina from 1988 with a rare Japan spec GM. Then we have a chip inside, especially programmed.
    Read here the whole story from early 2009, also pics and installation info
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ule-we-made-it

That is all I post here, do not want to hijack Schladdi's thread. If you need more info, read the link above first, that should answer all questions anyway.
    Whoever installs it, you do it at your own risk. Now we have for safety reasons beeepers installed and the child lock also works.

@Zlatko, entschuldige bitte, ich denke, damit ist die Neugier der Jung's hier wegen dem 1-touch-window-module erst mal zufriedengestellt. Wuensch Dir viel Glueck bei der Suche der Teile, wir sehen uns im E34 Forum. Greetz

My Cars
    E34 525i/5 . E39 540i
    Perhaps just get the plates from a 93-95 E34 or E32 and be good to go? Been looking at the parts on realoem, and theres a couple differences between the years 92 and 93ish.

@Shogun, Hast du etwas das leuchtet den schaltknopf fur handbucher?
    E36 problem in the E34 forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    I'm here because the E34 guys are knowledgeable and mature. Besides I own an E34 and it is my favorite.

My Cars
    07 Regency GT Mustang
    I have the red dot on my car, not rele something I'd go after money with lol. Swap a manual in it

My Cars
    525iA '93 EUR-Version
    When I replaced my broken part #11, I had to cut a notch in it to "hook" the plastic part with the red line in it. I had to remove the plastic letter piece by lifting it to gain access to a screw and then you see the plastic piece with the red line. I did notice that it doesn't show up as a separate part in Realoem.
    Miche: Yep. I was pleasantly surprised today when I went in to look this up. I like the new setup!
    Sound very interesting - so we found out, that there is a part wich is not listed in Realoem.

Damn - can nobody show me a picture of this part? Never seen that before.

I'm interested in this detail, because we german E34 guys puzzle how BMW done this job...

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    Strange that those part numbers are incorrect, realOEM tells you it's for the illuminated ones and they are US specific part numbers too..
    And even when i google them both for pictures they will show you the Illuminated plate/lettering and the other part that belongs to it.. so i have no idea how you got the wrong parts when you must have had the correct part numbers(the same as i posted)..

See for example Check the name of the file... 51168147468.jpg - the part number i posted above..

But If you are puzzled about how the illuminated gear lever position works it and is really curious on how it seems to be, then i would guess it's simply a bulb that lights up a piece of plastic that reflects it to PRND432, and then the shifter seems to have a black plastic part with a red line(probably semi transparent so the light can go through it) on it and the rest of that plastic is black (so it covers the other shift positions), so when you drag the shifter it will only illuminate the gear you have chosen.
    Last edited by M Quick; 11-30-2010 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaryboots View Post
    @Shogun, Hast du etwas das leuchtet den schaltknopf fur handbucher?
    you mean a iluminated shifter handle knob for a manual gear?
    I only have the ilumination module for the automatic which works like this
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...39/kF-xlxsi9FY
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...40/K6_KD8tZ1_M
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...41/Te6otyB8BnA
    prototyp in 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...38/teXxXvhzU9U
    the kind of strobo effect with running once thru all the lights is to check the contact in the shifter switch
    http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/console5a.jpg
    in case contact are not good like here
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/r...iginal/ss1.jpg
    red LED will show you

for iluminated manual gear know search Ebay under E36 M3 or E34 M5, they have them on offer there.

Miche: you are right, the standard BMW version is just a bulb, I have seen a DIY installation in Germany, he just installed a bulb at the shifter handle and when he moved the shifter the bulb moved to P-R-N etc.
    That is the easiest. You just need this plate with see thru version so that the light comes thru from the bulb. I order my plates specially made to fit to the complete system, As you can see, there are many LED on my unit, so completely different from the simple BMW version.
    Last edited by shogun; 11-30-2010 at 06:29 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530iA
    Well, I used a small LED for that. For now the resistor is exchanged for a bigger one so the light is not so bright.

Last edited by ivari; 12-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.

E34

My Cars
    E34 525i M50B25
    well, bringing up the old thread.. i'm very interested with this mod, since in my country doesn't have this one..

my question is, the part number is this rite? 51168147468 but i found it in realoem and etk, the pic showed it's the 4 speed version (P R N D 3 2 1) not the 5 speed (P R N D 4 3 2) which mine has the 5 speed auto, so how to make sure that i order the 5 speed version? th part number is the same.. thanks

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i, 1969 Camaro Z28/RS
    Why not just get the whole shift plate used from the US?
    Jon
    '07 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Sport 6-Speed M-Sport Bumpers
    '15 Electric Mercedes
    '69 Camaro Z28/RS Hugger Orange/Black, 400hp, 4 speed manual

Previous:
    '07 BMW X3 Arctic Silver Premium/Cold Weather Package Adaptive Bi-Xenon
    '95 BMW 540i M-Sport Hellrot 6-Speed Dinan Engine/Diff Goodies Moonroof
    '98 BMW 740i Biarritzblau stock

My Cars
    E34 525i M50B25
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
    Why not just get the whole shift plate used from the US?
    so, you mean US auto will exactly be the 5 speed?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i, 1969 Camaro Z28/RS
    If you get it from a US spec V8 car, it will be for a 5 speed, as those cars had the 5 speeds in them.

I guess I don't understand why people try to go to all the trouble to peice this whole thing together with parts from the dealer when you could just buy the whole plate used from the US and plug/play and be done with it.
    Jon
    '07 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Sport 6-Speed M-Sport Bumpers
    '15 Electric Mercedes
    '69 Camaro Z28/RS Hugger Orange/Black, 400hp, 4 speed manual

Previous:
    '07 BMW X3 Arctic Silver Premium/Cold Weather Package Adaptive Bi-Xenon
    '95 BMW 540i M-Sport Hellrot 6-Speed Dinan Engine/Diff Goodies Moonroof
    '98 BMW 740i Biarritzblau stock

My Cars
    95 E34 525TDS
    I tried the same thing a few years back, but couldn´t find the parts from BMW to have the dot move with the gear selector.

But I agree with the poster above, find one from a wrecked US car, and you should be good to go.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=817802

My Cars
    E34 525i M50B25
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
    If you get it from a US spec V8 car, it will be for a 5 speed, as those cars had the 5 speeds in them.

I guess I don't understand why people try to go to all the trouble to peice this whole thing together with parts from the dealer when you could just buy the whole plate used from the US and plug/play and be done with it.
    i see, turns out the illuminated indicator part number from the v8 is different 51168147469, anyway thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Tron5 View Post
    I tried the same thing a few years back, but couldn´t find the parts from BMW to have the dot move with the gear selector.

But I agree with the poster above, find one from a wrecked US car, and you should be good to go.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=817802
    thanks for the link..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast