Thread: Recoding MASK unit

My Cars
    bmw e60, Cooper s r53

Recoding MASK unit

OK can anyone help me please...My sat nav enabled mask crapped itself so managed to get another MASK unit but its not a sat nav one which isnt really an issue as never used it anyway..

The new one needs recoding as its got different options from my old one

Old one had the advanced twin heater controls etc,how do i do this ?
    Im really struggling here as there seems to be a big secret with this coding stuff and what modules do what etc
    thanks in advance

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi here is a guide on how to code a module no secrets!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rondo; 11-21-2010 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    2006 530d m-sport
    Just thought, I managed to enable nav in a no nav mask unit. Might be worth adding it.

My Cars
    bmw e60, Cooper s r53
    Quote Originally Posted by rondo View Post

It is when u have no idea .. still trying to find out info on the modules/ what they do and where the the hell u get the numbers ie in changing the vehicle order WTF lol $820 $349 where do you get these numbers from and how can i find out about them .. getting there slowly ..very slowly...

why cant BMW have it nice and simple like Audi/Volkswagon modding /coding system !!

@Blood.. it wouldnt make any difference as the M-ask nav module is dvd and has another cable output for the GPS aerial

thanks

My Cars
    2006 530d m-sport
    Well there are cd based nav discs and does the new unit have the gps connector?, if so then you can have nav again.

My Cars
    bmw e60, Cooper s r53
    No the second hand M-ask hasnt got the GPS connector couldnt get one as they were all silly expensive so thought id just get the bog standard M-ask till a sat nav comes up at a decent price .. emailed a couple of places to see if they can maybe repair the old one but no reply as yet ,thanks fo rthe suggestion though

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    .Hi the secret FA numbers are to be found in your ncsexper\daten files change E6O AT .000 to e60.AT .TXT and you have lots of e60 info.including your FA numbers.

My Cars
    bmw e60, Cooper s r53
    hmmm.... out this not sure about this lol.. theres nothing in there with $ signs ?

Can some one just please tell me how to recode this Mask unit ... someone told me it was by using the VIN number but no luck with this ??
    when i try to access the mask module it just says error ?? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this car is doing my nut in

groan ......

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi did you follow the PDF that l posted? This will code module be the VO

My Cars
    bmw e60, Cooper s r53
    yea but just keep getting this code , when trying to read or write to it

and says this in the error log

ERROR! Modul: CDH.C, Proc: CDHCheckIdent, LineNr: 03, ErrorNr: 2041
    COAPI-2041: wrong ecu coding index
    A_E65MMI: CODIERINDEX = 0Bh
    MASK_E60.C05: CODIERINDEX = 05
    >> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2041
    SG_CODIEREN
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oneeyefrail; 11-23-2010 at 07:00 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi if your code index is changed then after you have read out vo, hit "back" then you can select "change job"select "codierindex lesen". this will read coding index from whatever module you are working with and load the correct files to code it.Then code module to the new code index

My Cars
    bmw e60, Cooper s r53
    Nope comes up with exactly same coding error no matter what i do groan
    Last edited by oneeyefrail; 11-25-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 bmw E60
    I have the exact same error message:
    COAPI-2041 wrong ecu coding index
    ERROR in CABD. Look at CABI.ERR

I am using a usb cable.

Anyone figures out why this error is appearing?

My Cars
    2008 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by rase View Post

I am using a usb cable.

I have the same problem when trying to add an alarm and code DWAI. I have tried everything without luck. Anyone know how to change the coding index? I think my car is having problems since the alarm siren it from a E65 and I have an E90. It works as I can get the panik alarm working I just can't turn on any options in DWAI.

My Cars
    645ci 2004 convertible
    hi did you ever sort the dwa out ?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 630i
    Guys, I REALLY need some expertise on this one! Pulling my hair out! (Well, if I had any)

I have a 2005 E63 which had a goosed MASK unit (CD player not working, all other functions fine). I've replaced it with a slightly older unit (build date 26/03) which also happens to have sat nav. Presumably from an E60. I've added a GPS antenna and installed it, the unit is working, but I need to change a few options to set it up properly for my car.

I added $606 to my VO in the CAS module which I believe is 'business nav' (won't let me change it in the LMA, saying 'coding erroneous' for some reason in there). When I try to code the MASK module, I get the COAPI-2041 error. I've just updated my daten / ipo / prog files to V56. I've tried changing my car's build date in the VO to make it earlier (since the new MASK is older) but that doesn't make any difference. the 'codierindex_lesen' function does execute, but I'm not sure what this does.

Coded the old MASK and KOMBI units fine so I don't think there's any problem with my software.

Any help MUCH appreciated as I'm totally stumped... don't want to get so close and fail at the last hurdle!!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 630i
    Moved on from here but still struggling.
    LMA requires the ignition on (key in and start button pressed) to permit changing the VO, so that was that one.

I decided the only way forward was to re-flash the MASK unit using WinKFP. I used INPA to find my ZB (6940518). WinKFP did not recognise this ZB but I found it under MASKN1.HIS, so I set WinKFP up as per BlooD's guide and hit the program button.

About an hour later and its done. The iDrive was back on. Hooray, I thought! No errors on WinKFP. The modules updated and I can now read / write to it using NCS expert. The first thing I did was to code the defaults from the vehicle order. Thats when my problems became apparent.

Getting a message on the head unit 'not correctly programmed' I've gotten rid of this by deselecting 'LOGISTIK_CHECK' in the trace file, and looking at the trace from my old unit, this was deselected in there too, so this may not be a new problem.

What IS new though is that the iDrive now takes around 2 minutes from switch on before anything displays on the CID. (not even a backlight) During this time music will play and the radio buttons work. Also some of the menus have become corrupted, with missing options etc and wrong text.

Its as if I've programmed in the wrong flash file. But I've checked INPA which now shows the new ZB (9142465) and the correct VIN number. I've also compared the traces from the old / new module and ensured they match up as far as possible (the new unit now has a few new functions)

I'm totally at a loss for ideas now. Any help much appreciated

My Cars
    2005 BMW 630i
    Made a bit of progress here.

Seems there are 3 'chips' within the mask unit, the MMI (which I flashed already) The MOST Gateway (which I flashed today and seems to have got rid of the weird 2 minute delay) and the NAV. I can't find a suitable 0pa file in WinKFP for the nav. Looking through the data folders (E60) I can only find CNAV1, JNAV60 and KNAV1, which I ASSUME are Chinese, Japanese and Korean. I looked through the .HIS files in those folders and can't see the ZB I need (6933234) Does anyone know where I might find the US / European file?

Thanks,

My Cars
    2008 535xi sedan

Question 2008 535turbo

Im pretty sure nobody really knows the correct answer, I have searched and searched and no one gives a "fixed" reply. In fact it seems most user get sooo side tracked... You'd think they would answer but no they say something like... why would you want to mess with that ECU, then 5 quotes later their talking about tires ???
    I really don't know why that error appears, but my hunch is the DCAN cable is too slow to process that and maybe a few other ECU's.... as far as I can tell is we need a ICOM B or something similar due to this ECU being part of a MASK system. It has all the optics. I read all the time that all Modules on Exx series can be coded with this DCAN/USB cable. But this is not the case

Quote Originally Posted by rase View Post

I am using a usb cable.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    The wrong coding index usually means you need to update your files, that message says the MASK has reported a coding index of .0B, and it doesn't have the .0B file, or it is the wrong module, eg - the options list says it should be one module, but the fitted one is something else.
    For example, if you swapped from MASK to CCC, NCS expert would be expecting a MASK to reply to the coding query, but a CCC did instead.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    BMW Serie 5 2007

help me pls

Quote Originally Posted by rondo View Post

I try to folow the instraction but its missing from my NCS expert 6BMOT ECU.
    And i bought a used unit mask 2 satnav and my old it was normal radio whit cd player.
    what i can do to start my unit? Now on the screen its show HEAD UNIT NOT CODED CORRECTLY

Thank You
    Last edited by szsank; 10-12-2018 at 03:35 AM.