Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant problems! HELP

My Cars
    FD3S

Exclamation Coolant problems! HELP

Hey guys i really need helpl this time.... Well, it all started when my car got stuck in the snow, and me and my friend tried to get it out.... So, as we're doing this I notice maddd smoke come out of the hood and I quickly turn the engine off. We pop the hood open and coolant is all over the place.....like it exploded....omgsmoke EVERYWHERE. I freaked i thot the engine detonated. It turns out there was a hose broken off from the radiotor. Its located in the right corner by the intake and it seems it juss really snapped off....

How do you fix this, and how much will it cost? Can I do this myself...omg i hate problems :

http://infinity2010.tripod.com/infinite/id5.html <--- Click here for pics.....
    I made money, the firm made money. 2/3 ain't bad.

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    If it cracked off of the radiator sounds like you will need a new one, pretty weak link in the e36s i had my radiator neck crack on me about 2 blocks from my house sucks
    JOEY | '18 M3 ZCP AW | '18 Lead Foot Raptor

My Cars
    FD3S
    Crap.... how much do one of those run? And, is it possible to DIY?

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    Originally posted by Twisty
    Crap.... how much do one of those run? And, is it possible to DIY?
    if you look on the radiator do you see a part that looks like something cracked off? If it is infact the radiator then i believe
    its 200 maybe 300 but online im sure you can find it cheaper like bimmerparts.com as far as DIY if you have a bentley and the proper
    tools im sure you cna do it shouldnt be too hard

My Cars
    FD3S
    OK....well from what I see the hose has a little plastic in it....im assuming its from the radiator but ill take more daylight pics... I hope you clicked my linky lol...tnx for help.

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    OK....well from what I see the hose has a little plastic in it....im assuming its from the radiator but ill take more daylight pics... I hope you clicked my linky lol...tnx for help.
    haha yeah since there is plastic on the inside most likely you will need a new radiator and np on the help just glad i could share some knowledge

My Cars
    FD3S
    OK.... http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...aterc_main.htm they have it for 157, if ne1 else is interested lol. Joey, i have one more question for you! y shift knob jobbles up and down....like I can grab the knob and lift up and I hear a ka-chunk sound. It still engages and what not, however is this issue resolvable? Will a s.s. kit from rogue fix this?

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    OK.... http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...aterc_main.htm they have it for 157, if ne1 else is interested lol. Joey, i have one more question for you! y shift knob jobbles up and down....like I can grab the knob and lift up and I hear a ka-chunk sound. It still engages and what not, however is this issue resolvable? Will a s.s. kit from rogue fix this?
    sounds like your shift linkage is somehow loose, maybe where it attaches to the chassis but youd have to jack it up and take a look

My Cars
    FD3S
    Iight... hopefully it wil be an easy fix... ne1 kno where to get a Bently manual cheap?? I found the cheapest was 60 at bavauto.com

My Cars
    2000 328Ci 1992 325is

radiator

I just got my new radiator in the mail today from www.Bimmerzone.com only $148.95 plus shipping, paid for 2 day, got it in 1 day.

My Cars
    1996 Camaro Z28, 1999 Grand Prix GT, 99 Cherokee
    I got my Bently at www.amazon.com but I can't remember how much. I thought it was $45 or something like that. I just pulled my radiator out to fix my waterpump. It isn't too tough. Just going to change coolant and everything. Should take about hour to hour and a half without any serious problems to slow you down. Good luck!!
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust
    Making mullets cool since the 60s

My Z: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2420526/1

My Cars
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

$55.97 + FREE shipping or $53 used
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust

My Cars
    FD3S
    Ok....so im doing the swap now, but I am stuck on how to take off the clips on top of the radiator (Ones with the arrows on them, black) .... I think your supposed to push the plastic in, but am I rite? HELP!

My Cars
    Yeah, push a flat head screwdriver through there and them pull up on them. They should pop off if you get the screw driver in ther right.
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust

My Cars
    FD3S
    Yep got it! It was pretty fun to be honest....lol. I was surprised at how easy the sucker comes out....now my bimmer is good again!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Twisty, how long did it take you to exchange from start to finish?

Just the radiator right?

I have my alum rad to install and fan clutch, fan t-stat and t-stat housing along with URI pulley which I have to wait for.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    FD3S
    It woulda took like an hour, but i got stuck on the godamn radiator support clip! But yeah i had no manual...and im not a mechanic so anyone can do it. But im still having a problem! My car still overheats.... i think its because I didnt put enough coolant. I kept filling it up but it the coolant level never rose... how much is needed??? Theres deff. no leaks....help again...

P.S. Balthazarr, you have a cool name! And all those parts....but $$$

My Cars
    It takes ALOT of coolant. You should just let it run and fill your resevoir to the line and keep topping off as it lowers. Then keep an eye on it for the next couple days. You also need to loosen the bleeder screw on top of your resevoir also as you let the car run. It might be a little messy, but it works.
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust

My Cars
    FD3S
    Ok, ill try that as soon as the snow stops here in NJ....this bites! BTW, tnx for the help!

My Cars
    Did you get the Bentley? That show pictures and decribes in detail how to do it. It took a couple of day for my coolant to stay at the correct level. Every morning I would have to go out and top it off even after letting it run for about 45minutes just filling it as needed. It is just one of those things that isn't hard but takes forever.
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust

My Cars
    FD3S
    Yep....just figured that out today.... I just put in a bottle and a half of this stuff. It takes a lot...b.t.w. the top radiator hose is hotter than the lower....is that legit?

My Cars
    I've never felt the hoses so I'm not completely sure. It the overheated solved now?? I wouldn't worry about it if the car isn't overheating. I imagine it would be hotter since I believe the top hose is the coolant returning from the engine and the lower hose is sending it back to the engine, but I maybe wrong on that anyone else know??
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The top hose (return) should be hot.

Twisty, did the guage needle advance into the danger zone the first few times driving?
    Or did it just read a little higher than normal?
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    FD3S
    Yes the temp went into the red zone ONCE for a brief moment, ut i quickly shut the car off. Opened the hood, and cooled it down....I was actually scared I might have warped the heads, but now it seems everything is cool again. The coolant is fine, and top hose is hot, the t-stat works, and the temp is not budging from theh middle....YAY! Thnx guys

P.S. This was my 325th post....woohoo!....lol
    Last edited by Twisty; 12-16-2003 at 04:02 PM.

My Cars
    Good, glad everything worked for you!!
    1996 Camaro Z28
    M6 / SLP Exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast