Thread: Low COMPRESSION BMW 525i E60 2005

My Cars
    2005 525i

Low COMPRESSION BMW 525i E60 2005

Hi, I believe this is my first post though i've been watching this forum for a while.

Here's the story.
    Bought a project car that doesn't run.
    2005 BMW 530i with 100k miles.
    Previous Owners stated that the car died while he was driving on the freeway and had it towed to the dealer. The dealer performed a fuel pressure test and spark test. Scanned the vehicle and found no trouble codes. Fuel pressure read 3.5
    I saw the paperwork that they gave him and they said a Compression Test and a ignition timing check is required for further investigation. PO "changed his mind" and sold the car to me.
    I hooked up the Compression gauge today and found that none of the cylinders reach 100 psi. Difference is not considerable among all 6. A wet test added about 10psi and nothing more. I cranked the car so long that I believe I drained the battery.
    Anyway, I had around 70psi - dry and 80 psi Wet.
    The compression was tested on cold because the car can't start. car has been sitting for about a month. It has a normal crank but wouldn't start.
    No water on the pistons or spark plugs. All spark plugs are brand new. In fact I believe the car never started with the new spark plugs. Literary BRAND NEW plugs.

oil is clean doesn't smell or look strange. Coolant is clean and healthy.
    Took the valve cover off to check the camshafts and chain and visually look OK.

Any ideas ? Suggestions ?

looks suspicious that Oil, Coolant and spark plugs are brand new.
    Next step is charge the battery overnight and perform a new compression test and record the numbers. Wet/Dry. Tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

By the way, people with "take it to the dealer suggestions"

Ok, so i got a new compression tester and a fully charged battery and the results are sad
    Cylinders
    1 -80 pounds
    2 -91 pounds
    3 -81 pounds
    4 -40 pounds
    5 -61 pounds
    6 -70 pounds

What do you think is more reasonable to do at this point ?
    Last edited by ciudin; 11-16-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2006 325i, 2005 530i
    I am having a the same problem with my car. What did you do to correct it?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The previous owner overheated it and that's why the engine stopped you could pressure test the cooling system over night. We had some e46's that had a dme issue that was repaired thru programming and the injectors were allowing to much gas in and washing down the cylinder wall, when starting the engine sounded like it had no compression.
    To get these engines started we had to hold the gas pedal to the floor and eventually after long cranking it would slowly fire up and a black cloud would come out the exhaust. Then they would start and run normal, this would happen in colder outside temperatures.

My Cars
    2006 325i, 2005 530i
    I just now saw your response and thank you for sharing your trials with me. I attempted the gas pedal method but no luck. I did an engine compression dry/test and got c1-50 c2-0 c3-65 c4-70 c5-70 c-6-70 my wet test was 20lbs lesser down the line c2 remained nil.
    Last edited by Twosabez; 01-03-2019 at 11:41 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Were you ever able to figure out what was giving you those types of compression numbers?