Thread: New Upper Radiator Mount, Still Not Snug

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

New Upper Radiator Mount, Still Not Snug

Just replaced my upper radiator mounts because I noticed there were a bit worn after my cooling system overhaul.

These things (E36 but looks similar on our cars): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUIjHFcNOsI

But even new, they don't seem to be doing much.

I can push the radiator/shroud assembly forward/backward a bit. Its not play so much as "flex", however it seems like the mounts job to stop that but it doesn't do much, esp. on the left side.

Is this normal?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    There are rectangular rubber grommets that the top plastic latches engage; are those in place? (They are visible in the YouTube video). Is the radiator sitting on two big rubber bulb-shaped mounts? If you're talking about how the shroud attaches to the radiator, that's pretty loose. It's just several notches on each side plus two plastic pin connectors at the top that seem a bit too long to hold the shroud tight.
    Last edited by Blacklane; 05-04-2014 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
    There are rectangular rubber grommets that the top plastic latches engage; are those in place?
    Yeah, they are new as well

Is the radiator sitting on two big rubber bulb-shaped mounts?
    What do you mean, the lower radiator mounts? The freedom seems to due to lack of constraint at the top.

If you're talking about how the shroud attaches to the radiator, that's pretty loose.
    I'm not talking about the shroud, I mean the whole assembly radiator/expansion tank/shroud assembly

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus
    If you replaced your radiator, did you transfer the lower rubber grommets from the old radiator to the new? The new radiator doesn't come with them and you have to transfer them.