Thread: 2003 Z4 Convertible Top Issue

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z3 Roadster

2003 Z4 Convertible Top Issue

Hey guys,

Just bought a 2003 Z4 3.0 with 85k miles on the clock, a couple of days ago.

Everything was working perfectly when I made the purchase, however now when I drop the top, part of it seems to "hang" onto the rollover bars that are right above the head rests, instead of swooping over them. It struggles to open up; takes around 20 seconds of grunting to go over the top.

Same case with closing the top; it struggles to get over the roll bars and then accelerates to a close as soon as its overcome them.

I'm guessing this isn't a hydraulics issue, so what could be causing the top to hook onto the bars?? REALLY don't feel like ponying up $1-$2k for a hydraulic motor replacement after I've just splurged on my new toy!

Any tips highly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Z4manic
    Last edited by z4maniac; 11-13-2010 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    Z4, XJC Jag, Rover75
    Quote Originally Posted by z4maniac View Post
    Hey guys,

Just bought a 2003 Z4 3.0 with 85k miles on the clock, a couple of days ago.

Everything was working perfectly when I made the purchase, however now when I drop the top, part of it seems to "hang" onto the rollover bars that are right above the head rests, instead of swooping over them. It struggles to open up; takes around 20 seconds of grunting to go over the top.

Same case with closing the top; it struggles to get over the roll bars and then accelerates to a close as soon as its overcome them.

I'm guessing this isn't a hydraulics issue, so what could be causing the top to hook onto the bars?? REALLY don't feel like ponying up $1-$2k for a hydraulic motor replacement after I've just splurged on my new toy!

Any tips highly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Z4manic
    I suspect one or more of the bolts screwing the hood frame together has most likely come loose or fallen off. If the top does not follow its intended arc when opening and closing it is most likely a mechanical issue.

I had a similar issue whereby I noticed that one of the frame retaining nuts was loose causing a sight bulge on the side of the soft top when erected. (this being what alerted me to check it out more closely). Had it been left I guess it would have come adrift altegether and I would have experienced exactly what you appear to be experiencing now.

I suggest that you move the top and stop it at various positions whilst having a very close inspection under the fabric on both sides to see what has come adrift, then you can determine how it can be best rectified.

Cheers;

Dream As If You Will Live Forever. Live As If You Will Die Today! ......

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Thanks zzzzz4, will check it out.

On another note, DAMN I love this car Coming from a 330ci Cabrio this is heaven!

My Cars
    Many
    Make sure you lubricate the hinge parts while you are doing this. Binding due to lack of lubrication could be part of the issue, not all of it.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2004 -Z4-2.5i,96-Z3-1.9L
    Maybe just a sagging or loose inner headliner catching/snagging on the roolbars?