Thread: Snow setup. Will 16" clear stock brakes?

My Cars
    1999 MCoupe, 2008 335xi

Snow setup. Will 16" clear stock brakes?

Hi Guys,

I'm one of those people who daily drives his MCoupe. I went through one winter w/ summer tires. I'm not doing that again and this time am shopping for dedicated snow wheels/tires.

Does anyone know if 16" wheels will clear the brakes? Any idea of the OEM snowflake wheels from an e46 will fit?

Thanks guys.
    -al

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Some 16s clear the front brakes, but I think most won't.

Ask the e36 m3 guys to make sure.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    I got these 16" snow tire/wheels combo from tire rack a few years ago...they do clear the stock brakes but I do need two spacers for the rear wheels...I think they cost me less than $700 for the whole sets...

btw I only used them for one season and they are sitting in the garage collecting dust...if you are willing to drive down to DC to pick them up I will give you a great deal on them... just pm me if you are interested...
    Last edited by 0260IN5; 11-12-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    I've seen a lot of BMW 16" wheels on CL for cheap...
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The only 16's that I know will fit are those Mille Miglia's posted above.

Trashed roadstars are relatively inexpensive. I'm betting that you could get a straight, but rough looking, set for under $500 and put a set of Blizzaks on them for not much more than you'd be looking at for a 16" setup. The benefit here would be that if you ever decided that you don't need the winter setup anymore, you could dismount the tires and sell the wheels for about what you paid for them or refinish them and run them during the rest of the year.

My Cars
    '14 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by AbaDaShoe View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm one of those people who daily drives his MCoupe. I went through one winter w/ summer tires. I'm not doing that again and this time am shopping for dedicated snow wheels/tires.

Does anyone know if 16" wheels will clear the brakes? Any idea of the OEM snowflake wheels from an e46 will fit?

Thanks guys.
    -al
    I have a set of Borbet Type E measuring 17x8 running Dunlop M3 Winter Sports in 225/45 and 245/40 sitting in my garage. The rims are flawless and the treads are near new. I also have a set of ultra expensive H&R 30mm rear spacers that bolt onto the hub and the wheel bolts on to it. The setup looks really good on the M coupe.

I'm not looking to sell them but if you want to rent them for the season I would interested in having that discussion.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    There are 16" E36 M3 Contour knockoffs that fit without any spacers. They are plentiful and dirt cheap. I would guess $400 is the going rate, or less, possibly even with tires.

They're 16x6.5 and work great as winter wheels.

Roadstars are too wide in the rear to be useful in the snow. 17" snow tires are also more expensive and harder to find than 16"

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    I have my stock 16" Z3 rims... from my '97 1.9
    I don't know if shipping will be worth it, but they are all straight with no curb rash or dents. Tires on them are done, so it's more like rim protector for shipping... or you canfinishl them off w/ some burnouts.

Also not 100% sure if they're fit w/o spacers up front...
    but hit me up if you're interested.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    Mille Miglia Spider
    Mille Miglia MM-112
    BBS RS (seriously)
    AT Italia Type 5 (contour reps)
    E38 Style 5s
    Some E90 16s

The E46 snowflakes do not clear the brakes.

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemamaman View Post
    I have my stock 16" Z3 rims... from my '97 1.9
    I don't know if shipping will be worth it, but they are all straight with no curb rash or dents. Tires on them are done, so it's more like rim protector for shipping... or you canfinishl them off w/ some burnouts.

Also not 100% sure if they're fit w/o spacers up front...
    but hit me up if you're interested.
    I have a set too and I'm curious if they can be used on M coupe as snow wheels.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    I bought a set of steelies (16x7.5) and I know they clear my brakes. I actually just bought a set of Mille Miglia Spiders w/ Blizzaks for this winter.

If you are in the MD area I'll sell you the steelies, they are rusted and I've been in the process of cleaning/sanding/painting them. PM me if you are interested

Nick

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I have an extra set of 16" MM Spiders that I'd like to get rid of (I'd also like to be done with the set that's currently mounted on my black car, but that's another story).

The Blizzaks are mostly worn out, but I'd take $300.00 for the set, including lugs and spacers (spacers not reqd on a Z3).

My Cars
    1999 MCoupe, 2008 335xi
    Sorry guys I was able to pick up a set of used 225/45 blizzaks for cheap and throw them on my stockers. It is quite a different driving experience going from a 295 down to a 225. =)

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I have an extra set of 16" MM Spiders that I'd like to get rid of (I'd also like to be done with the set that's currently mounted on my black car, but that's another story).

The Blizzaks are mostly worn out, but I'd take $300.00 for the set, including lugs and spacers (spacers not reqd on a Z3).
    Hey Randy, those wouldn't be the set from my car would they (Cindy)? Just curious, I didn't take them and wonder if that's them resurfacing.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    Hey Randy, those wouldn't be the set from my car would they (Cindy)? Just curious, I didn't take them and wonder if that's them resurfacing.
    Yes, it is. There was a west coast Coupe owner that was supposed to move here July/August; I had offered him my set, when I was sure we would be moving to Florida. Rather than go back on my word, I got the set from Cindy to save face, and then that guy doesn't move either. There are so many mounted sets of wheels in my basement already, you'd never notice! I have a minimum of two (2) sts of mounted wheels for each car we own, even the brand new X5, as of yesterday when Sue's snows were delivered.

On another note, I fitted Cindy's old hdtp recently too; Tabb is very happy with both the look, and the feel of his new acquisition.