Thread: Vanos rebuild tool ?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

Vanos rebuild tool ?

Hey

I'm getting ready to install new orings in my vanos. I looked at a few DIY videos on this and they all use a special tool to lock onto the exhaust cam sproket and move it counter clockwise when reinstalling the vanos sproket on the intake cam.

Are there any alternatives to buying this tool? Its a one time use item I would rather not spend money on.

this is a picture of the tool in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    I've got it, want to rent it with a deposit?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Thanks....maybe. The shipping back and forth to norcal plus what ever you want to for rent would probably be almost as much as buying it. Ive got your user name in case I need it.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    I have just rebuilt mine using the Besian System and the only "special tool" I used was the cam locking tool that I made myself. I didn't really even need the cam locking device. It can be done without special tools just take your time. I actually rotated the exhaust cam chain using my fingers. She runs like a champ now!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318 TDS
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperchargedvol View Post
    I have just rebuilt mine using the Besian System and the only "special tool" I used was the cam locking tool that I made myself. I didn't really even need the cam locking device. It can be done without special tools just take your time. I actually rotated the exhaust cam chain using my fingers. She runs like a champ now!

can you tell me how you did your locking tool as i need to do one for myself

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    I copied the blue print out of my haynes/chiltons manual that showed the dimensions and had a guy at work mill it out for me. I will say that it didn't fit perfectly the first time. I don't know if he didn't measure right or if the cam widths were different for a 1993 head.