Thread: Light in storage compartment between backrests stays on

My Cars
    '12 328i coupe (M pkg)

Light in storage compartment between backrests stays on

Simple problem: The light in the storage compartment between
    backrests does not go off even when the door to the compartment is closed, or when the vehicle in in motion. The only time the light does go off is when the vehicle is locked using the remote. Is this expected behavior?

I found out what the problem is. There is a little switch at the bottom of the compartment door that activates when the door closes. The door has a little piece of plastic that depresses the switch which seems to be broken. Is this covered by the certified pre-owned warranty? I also bought the vehicle (used) from the dealer less than 3 months ago, so hopefully the dealer will replace the door (?)
    Last edited by mapexvenus; 11-07-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2011 X5-35d, 2008 Z4MC
    This is a common problem with a poor design. My tab broke off and I attempted to epoxy it back on. It worked for a while and then broke off again. Dealer replaced door under warranty.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    I will be surprised if CPO covers this. Trim is usually not included. Worth a shot though since you bought it so recently. Is the car still under the original 4/50 warranty as well? If so it will be covered. The door is around $75 from the discount dealers if you have to buy one.

My Cars
    '12 328i coupe (M pkg)
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    I will be surprised if CPO covers this. Trim is usually not included. Worth a shot though since you bought it so recently. Is the car still under the original 4/50 warranty as well? If so it will be covered. The door is around $75 from the discount dealers if you have to buy one.
    Thank you for your response. I actually have a few more months of the original warranty left, so hopefully this will be something the stealership does for free.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4
    Mine was broke when I purchases my Z. The dealer replaced a battery and installed a new door to solve the problem, all under CPO warrenty.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Since i have an '04, I just jammed a piece of wire in where the switch is...holds it down so the light never comes on.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac87 View Post
    Since i have an '04, I just jammed a piece of wire in where the switch is...holds it down so the light never comes on.
    Must be fun to try to find something in there at night . That compartment is pretty large and dark.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 Roadster
    Shit. I just realized I have the same problem. Never thought there was anything to the permanent light until I saw this post. I went to take a look and sure enough, I found a bent tab that wasn't hitting the switch when closed. I'm gonna bring it in and hope that the CPO covers it. Thanks for the heads-up.

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4
    when i purchased my 2005 z4 the compartment light also remained on due to tab being broken i simply got a screw and secured it to where the tab used to be and adjusted it so it would make contact with switch works fine for me

My Cars
    2007 Z4
    I thought it always stayed on.. lol that would drain the battery out if i never drive it in the winter..

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by lstratos View Post
    I thought it always stayed on.. lol that would drain the battery out if i never drive it in the winter..
    no the light turns off when the car is off and locked or off and left sitting.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4
    Thanks Guys, Just bought a used Z4 and you are right that cheap little tab just breaks off, so I used a cotton ball to depress the switch so I can use the light if I have too, easy fix. BMW needs to up their quality at the prices they charge.

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    Had the same problem with a 2008 I got last summer... indeed the light was on. Unfortunately, the key fob battery was dead (and no amount of driving changed that) so I could never lock it so the car stayed active... battery (a new OEM one) died and car went into transport mode.

Bought a new key (far easier) and could finally operate the locks the proper way - but from that point on no heat or AC. Since then I cut the old key open and when I feel the urge I may replace that VL2020. Plus I got to experiment with the whole diagnostics setup to clear transport mode.

Waiting for winter to end to hit the road again. Amazing that a key fob could kill the A/C and need a computer and software to get it back.

Oh, I used a pin vice to drill a small hole and insert a 2-56 screw to replace the tab. Works for me.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by sdabro View Post
    Had the same problem with a 2008 I got last summer... indeed the light was on. Unfortunately, the key fob battery was dead (and no amount of driving changed that) so I could never lock it so the car stayed active... battery (a new OEM one) died and car went into transport mode.

Bought a new key (far easier) and could finally operate the locks the proper way - but from that point on no heat or AC. Since then I cut the old key open and when I feel the urge I may replace that VL2020. Plus I got to experiment with the whole diagnostics setup to clear transport mode.

Waiting for winter to end to hit the road again. Amazing that a key fob could kill the A/C and need a computer and software to get it back.

Oh, I used a pin vice to drill a small hole and insert a 2-56 screw to replace the tab. Works for me.
    Transport mode is supposed to be turned off during the PDI the dealer does before selling the car when new - then this would not happen when the battery dies. Many folks have found the dealers lacking in their PDI procedures.....