Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

My Cars
    98 bmw 540i
    Hey mattmartindrift,
    I could use the e39 files if you have them.
    Thanks

My Cars
    2008 e93 335i, 2011 xi
    I have a 2011 328i xdrive. This winter, I started getting a random TPM inactive malfunction when driving and would reset it. Now for a month or so I always have the TMP malfunction/inactive. Had the sensors checked- all good. Decided it was the control module. Purchased one and quickly installed it but need to flash/program. I currently have no software or cables or anything. If someone could point me in the direction or what I need to download and buy- please do so. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    BMW 730i
    Hi. I would like to have a more in depth description of the daten files than what is described in the user manual more precisely the disassembled files and what all parameters mean and their effects on the options. Just to explain I am trying to activate a possibly hidden function in the E65 MMI to let it turn on an AV source possibly the unused input on the video module referred to as "AUX IN" in all wiring diagrams etc. So I would like to know how I should begin this quest. And how the parameters are stored and how the addresses work.

I hope you can understand what I'm looking for.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Extremely long overdue but a new version has been released: NCS Dummy 0.6.0.8! Refer to the first post in this topic for the download link. What's new since the last release?

0.6.0.8 (2018-08-28)

• Fixed bug in order options. While reading the *CTV.000 file order options from the "INDIVID" categories were wrongly combined with those from the "GRUPPE" categories resulting into conflicting order options in certain modules.
    • Added ability to empty the FSW_PSW.MAN trace manipulation file from the "Export FSW/PSW" button dropdown menu.
    • The "HEX/DEC" button will now also change the numeral system of length.
    • The default command line argument is now the trace file. It is no longer necessary to provide prefix /tracefile= if you want to load a trace file. For example: NcsDummy.exe "C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\E31-EKM.C25-FSW_PSW.TRC". This makes it easier to use NCS Dummy as default application to open trace files with.
    • Exporting module functions, trace functions and differences will now include groups even when control unit data is not selected.
    • Small number of corrected translations.

No big changes. This is mostly a maintenance release.

It was reported that NCS Dummy would sometimes display conflicting order options. For example two parameters with different control unit data would each have order options that evaluate to true for the same conditions. This turned out to be a bug in the CVT file parser. In previous versions NCS Dummy blindly assumed all order options in the CVT files could be combined. This is not correct. CVT files may contain two distinct categories of order options which should not be combined: "GRUPPE" and "INDIVID". From now on NCS Dummy will ignore the order options in the "INDIVID" categories. This bug had no effect on the output of files generated by NCS Dummy but some of you may have been puzzled by weird order option combinations.

The "Export FSW/PSW" button dropdown menu received a new entry to quickly empty the FSW_PSW.MAN trace manipulation file.

The "HEX/DEC" button will now not only change the numeral system of data and mask but also length. Note that the address stays hexadecimal at all times.

In NCS Dummy 0.6.0.3 command line argument /tracefile= was introduced to load a trace file at launch. This argument did not play well with the "Open With..." feature of Windows which expects the file name to be the default argument. Therefore /tracefile= was made redundant. NCS Dummy will now (try to) interpret the default command line argument as a trace file. If you want to make NCS Dummy the default application for *.TRC trace files, right click any trace file and choose "Open with". Depending on the Windows version you may have to follow up with "Choose another app", "More apps" and "Look for another app on this pc". Finally locate and select the NCS Dummy executable (NcsDummy.exe). Please note that to get the most out of opening trace files from the command line, you should name your files to a CHASSIS-MODULE-FILENAME.TRC structure so NCS Dummy can recognize chassis and module. For example: E31-EKM.C25-FSW_PSW.TRC.

While exporting module functions, trace functions and differences to text files NCS Dummy would include group titles only when "Include Control Unit Data" was checked. From now on the group titles are always included.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
    I would like to have a more in depth description of the daten files than what is described in the user manual more precisely the disassembled files and what all parameters mean and their effects on the options. Just to explain I am trying to activate a possibly hidden function in the E65 MMI to let it turn on an AV source possibly the unused input on the video module referred to as "AUX IN" in all wiring diagrams etc. So I would like to know how I should begin this quest. And how the parameters are stored and how the addresses work.
    I'm really sorry but I do not have such documentation and writing it would be very time-consuming. Anyway, if you do not have any idea of whether and where the functionality is (address(es)), sorry, no amount of documentation is going to help you. If you have strong suspicion that the functionality can be found at a certain address or address range, write it down and we'll try to guide you through the changes required to the DATEN files in order to manipulate the data at these addresses.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Have you see my suggestions in my post on the previous page?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...2#post30041952

They are of course just that, suggestions. Was wondering what you think about them.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Have you see my suggestions in my post on the previous page?
    They are of course just that, suggestions. Was wondering what you think about them.
    I did see your post but not until a month later or so because - once again - I did not get a topic reply notification... Sorry about that.

would it be possible to change the "Length:" value in the Address line from Hex to Dec, when using the Hex/Dex switchover button? So the length shown under "Data:" matches the number of the Length in the "Address" line?
    This is now working as such in NCS Dummy 0.6.0.8!

Have another suggestion: when doing a search, for example "remote" in say a GM5.Cxx module. There are multiple parameter/functions that contain this word. By using "Find next" it steps to the next entry. How about only showing the matching parameters/functions in the main screen? (or in a new tab)
    I'm afraid that is not possible due to the way I've set up the data structures and search functionality. It would require a considerable rewrite to achieve this.

But the current search functionality is quite powerful so you should be able to find the desired functions or parameters quickly.

For smaller screens, there is a /smalldisplay command line parameter to make the bottom portion a few lines less.
    It would be handy to have a screen showing only the main screen (functions+parameters + the function/address/parameter/data/options screen)
    This could be on a 4th tab. This way you could switch between these 2 views, without messing with the original one.
    That's more or less what it was like in version 0.5.* but many people didn't like switching between the tabs all the time. Putting it all on the main screen was a frequent request.

Maybe I can make something like a full screen mode? Pressing a button / function key maximizes the graphical trace editor to use all available space on the Modules and Traces tab (covering the chassis/modules selection, buttons and log). The disadvantage is that you'd need to hit the button / function key each time you want to export, reload the trace file or change the chassis and module. Would that work for you?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    I did see your post but not until a month later or so because - once again - I did not get a topic reply notification... Sorry about that.

This is now working as such in NCS Dummy 0.6.0.8!

I'm afraid that is not possible due to the way I've set up the data structures and search functionality. It would require a considerable rewrite to achieve this.

But the current search functionality is quite powerful so you should be able to find the desired functions or parameters quickly.

That's more or less what it was like in version 0.5.* but many people didn't like switching between the tabs all the time. Putting it all on the main screen was a frequent request.

Maybe I can make something like a full screen mode? Pressing a button / function key maximizes the graphical trace editor to use all available space on the Modules and Traces tab (covering the chassis/modules selection, buttons and log). The disadvantage is that you'd need to hit the button / function key each time you want to export, reload the trace file or change the chassis and module. Would that work for you?
    Ha I did read the updates, but didn't even realize that was what I suggested.

Search works fine as is. Was just a thought to make it even more easy.

Say you want to code M Track mode for E46 M3. You open the MK60 DSC module file, search for "M Track" in the order options, hit search and you get all parameters you need to edit without sifting to many parameters. Some modules really have many many line. But yes, pressing 'next' also does the job. It's more nice to have than needed.

Full screen would be an excellent option. And everyone can choose whether or not to use it. Or even make the different portions of the screen dragable to set the height of each section individually

IG:

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    I was having a hard time understanding all of this stuff until I came across this post, not only did it give me a much better idea of what everything was, where it needs to be, an what it is used for it it also helped me figure out the exact steps I need to take along with the information I need to do some simple coding to my car without having to worry about messing anything up not really having any clue as to what I am doing. due to reading this post tonight tomorrow I will be hooking the car up and coding in at least the digital speedo and hopefully some more but we will see how that goes, also does anyone know if all e60s have the ability to code in folding mirrors or is it only certain years? this is probably way off topic but using the vin decoder an option that popped up on my car was telematics prep, does anyone know exactly what that means or where I can find that information for myself?

My Cars
    635CSi, 850i
    Hi, I am trying to change miles to km i 99 Z3M - I can change country code and all other codes, but no luck with miles/km even if NCS dummy generates value WEGSTRECKE_EINHEIT
    km to FSW_PSW.MAN

Can you help?
    BMW collector
    e9 3.0CSi, e10 1602, e12 525, e21 320iTurbo, e23 745i, e24 628CSiTurbo, e24 635CSiTwinTurbo, e30 336iTurbo, e31 850i, Z3M USA, Z3M Euro, e36 318iS, X3 3.0d, e65 745i
    r100, r1200r LC
    http://bmw.zpevak.net

My Cars
    02 E39, 08 E70
    Hopefully not a stupid question and I apologize for not reading all 35 pages but a question. Do you code with NCS Dummy, or is it a translator of sorts for NCSExpert and that's what is used to actually code?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by cvgtpc1 View Post
    Hopefully not a stupid question and I apologize for not reading all 35 pages but a question. Do you code with NCS Dummy, or is it a translator of sorts for NCSExpert and that's what is used to actually code?
    You only needed to read the topic title and first sentence of the intro of post 1 to know the answer. It's a giveaway.

"NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

NCS Dummy makes working with NCS Expert a lot easier..."

IG:

My Cars
    -02 316 Touring
    First of all thank you everyone for tons of information that is available here. I am about to code my E87 for the first time and have a question on ECU software version.

When I pick the ECU I want to read, CIC in this case, NCS Expert shows the CBD name as CIC.C08 where I think the C08 is the version. Once the trace file is created and I open it in NCS Dummy it actually matches CIC.C16 perfectly.

So I make my changes into the FSW_PSW.MAN file using the CIC.C16 module.

But when I want to write the file modified file back to the ECU, do I need to worry about NCS Expert showing CIC.C08? Does it try to compile the output into C08 level and then it would not match with what version CIC has if it really is C16?

I found from the net one video where the guy created the FSW_PSW.TRC file by not using the execute codierdaten_lesen but rather clicked Read ECU. This Read ECU function actually changed the NCS Expert to show the CBD Name correctly. And he uploaded the FSW_PSW.MAN file using that version as well.

Can you provide me any insight if I need to worry about it I write using CIC.C08 or CIC.C16?

Thanks for helping!

-p
    Last edited by phuksi; 10-20-2018 at 08:17 AM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DCpower View Post
    Hi, I am trying to change miles to km i 99 Z3M - I can change country code and all other codes, but no luck with miles/km even if NCS dummy generates value WEGSTRECKE_EINHEIT km to FSW_PSW.MAN
    I do not have experience with converting Z3 instrument clusters from miles to kilometers but some sources suggest this is hardcoded in the cluster and cannot be changed through coding. I have no idea whether this is true, though. It seems kinda unlikely because function "WEGSTRECKE_EINHEIT" is present in the module.

Do you have access to DIS v44 or SSS? In that case you may wish to check the ZCS/FA coding section. Maybe there's a job to change the mileage unit. On the E31, for example, it can be found under ZCS/FA Coding > Conversion > EKM (that will be KOMBI on the E36) > Route display.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phuksi View Post
    When I pick the ECU I want to read, CIC in this case, NCS Expert shows the CBD name as CIC.C08 where I think the C08 is the version. Once the trace file is created and I open it in NCS Dummy it actually matches CIC.C16 perfectly.
    Do you mean NCS Dummy refuses to load it with CIC.C08, or do you mean that the filter by trace file gives a higher probability to CIC.C16?

Did you check with both FSW_PSW.TRC and NETTODAT.TRC? Does NCS Dummy want to use CIC.C16 for both?

Was the module once replaced or updated with WinKFP?

But when I want to write the file modified file back to the ECU, do I need to worry about NCS Expert showing CIC.C08? Does it try to compile the output into C08 level and then it would not match with what version CIC has if it really is C16?
    If NCS Dummy can open it, it is compatible and NCS Expert should be able to write it. If NCS Expert nowhere explicitly says it is CIC.C16 after reading (see below), I'd stick with CIC.C08.

If NCS Dummy refuses to open the trace file with CIC.C08 it contains keywords that are not valid for that version (in that case it most likely is not CIC.C08). Trying to write such a trace file with NCS Expert will fail with a similar error. If you are convinced C16 is the proper coding index, you can force NCS Expert to use that. For this, change the profile: File > Load Profile > NCS Dummy profile > File > Edit Profile > Password = repxet > SGET-Data > [X] Enter SGET data. From now on you'll get an extra dialog window after selecting the module in which you can specify the exact coding index to use. Normally this should not be necessary, though.

I found from the net one video where the guy created the FSW_PSW.TRC file by not using the execute codierdaten_lesen but rather clicked Read ECU. This Read ECU function actually changed the NCS Expert to show the CBD Name correctly. And he uploaded the FSW_PSW.MAN file using that version as well.
    As far as I know Read ECU is just a shortcut to job CODIERDATEN_LESEN. Anyway, that's easy to test... What happens if you use Read ECU? Does it change the module to CIC.C16 after reading while directly calling the job does not?

My Cars
    -02 316 Touring
    Thanks for all your help. I don't know the history of the car. I bought this for my son and it has three previous owners already so quite possible that someone has already played with it. It seems like the software on the modules have been updated and do not align with what Ista or NCS would expect to find. The car is manufactured in 11/2009 but the current I-level is from 2011. That update could be done by a service shop as well. But when I connect the car to ISTA+ it does prompt with a screen saying "Vehicle is / was not identical to series. Goodwill exclusion for main groups..." and all groups are listed

I did check several modules so that I executed CODIERDATEN_LESEN manually. It actually opens now the SGET window when reading the parameters.

CIC-lesen.jpg

And NCS Expert is showing C08 for CIC.

CIC-lesen-2.jpg

If I do the same thing for CIC by clikcing Reading ECU it actually does change it to C16.

CIC-readecu.jpg

The index changed for all modules I tried. For example module 2JBBF was JBBFEII.C06 when executing via job but changed to JBBFE3R.C40 when Reading ECU was used.

JBBF-before.jpg

JBBF-after.jpg

NCS Dummy aligns fully with the index that Reading ECU is showing.

I checked NCS Expert profile settings and it seems that it already has the ..SGET-Data > [X] Enter SGET data checked. I will uncheck that box and read the module to see if it determines the index properly then.

-p

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    phuksi: Don't worry too much about what is shown in the "Enter SGET data" popup. That is what NCS Expert expects to find in the car but it did not yet actually communicate with the module. You can use this dialog window to force NCS Expert to use a specific coding index but that is not necessary in your case. NCS Expert can find the correct one by itself (as proven by the "Reading ECU" button).

In recent versions of my NCS Expert profile I've disabled the "Enter SGET data" popup window (using the earlier mentioned profile setting). It is extremely rarely needed and since it might display the wrong coding index (because no communication with the module is established yet at that point) it only adds to the confusion about which coding index to use in NCS Dummy...

I am however still confused about the difference between job "CODIERDATEN_LESEN" and the "Reading ECU" button. Did you actually execute the "CODIERDATEN_LESEN" job and it did not update the module coding index on the screen? Selecting the "CODIERDATEN_LESEN" job is not enough. You have to click the "Execute Job" button as well and wait for the job to finish. Only then, after the job ran, NCS Expert had communication with the module and should know the correct coding index. I'd be very surprised if that action does not update the coding index on the screen as well... Can you please confirm this? I might have to change the instructions in the NCS Dummy user manual.
    Last edited by revtor; 10-22-2018 at 04:04 AM.

My Cars
    -02 316 Touring
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I was traveling for a week in Germany... I did go back today and checked.

1. I read the FA from ECU
    1 Read FA From ECU.jpg

2. Then hit Process ECU and chose CIC. It did show the SGET popup again but I ignored it. Index was .C08
    2 Process ECU.jpg

3. Changed the job to read the coding, shows CIC.C08
    3 Chage Job Lesen.jpg

4. Exexuted the job.
    4 Execute Job.jpg

It does change to CIC.C16 once executed and status is coding ended.

So with that, when I upload the MAN file... have I understood correctly that I don't need to worry about the coding index even if it shows .C08. Once I process the write job NCS will figure out that it knows to flip it to C16 prior writing it?

Also I think no need to change the instructions? Thanks for helping me to understand how this works!

-p

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    phuksi: Thanks for confirming!

Yes, you do not need to worry about the coding index. NCS Expert will negotiate the correct coding index with the module upon reading and writing. And in the case where it cannot (for example outdated DATEN files) you will simply get an error message and no harm is done.

The only reason why you have to pay attention to the coding index is NCS Dummy. It needs the correct one in order to load the trace file and display all functions and parameters. Note that NCS Dummy can determine the correct coding index from the trace file contents (Filter > Filter Modules by Trace File) but it's a rather slow process so it's not performed automatically when loading a trace file.

My Cars
    2008 750i
    Scratching my head.
    I'm using NCS Dummy trying to update my new battery. The battery is a 90 AGM battery (the old battery was not an AGM battery).
    I have E65 entered in the "chassis" dialog box and PM.C05 entered in the "module" dialog box.
    I scroll down the different items, and find "battery capacity", but there is no check box to the left of "battery capacity" as shown in the image you downloaded above - nor are there any checkboxes to the left of the different types/amperes of available batteries.
    I can highlight the "90agm" battery (blue bar), but what can I do at this point to change battery? I've tried opening the "module functions" box, but what I would assume "update module", is not an available option (the text is 'grayed out" - like it's not an option).
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    ^^
    Just to be sure, but you first need to readout the actual module from you car, then load it in Dummy.

If you only load Dummy and select are module, there is no file to be changed, so no checkboxes.

Once you load the correct trace/man file, the checkboxes will appear.

IG:

My Cars
    BMW X5 2E53
    Awsome work that you've done here Great app.

My question is : Does it support E53's ??

I did not find the .DATEN file in the DATEn folder

I am a NEWBIE to this coding world. What Am I missing.

My Cars
    2007 BMW M6, 2016 328x
    I'm using NCS expert read the ECU and generate the trace file. When I load the trace file in NCS dummy im getting the following error. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

[E] 08:10:41 An error occurred while reading "C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\FSW_PSW.TRC": Unresolved parameter keyword "e70_top_hifi" in function "AUDIO_SYSTEM". Make sure chassis and module match those of the trace file.

The audio system has been repaired by the dealer. they may have reprogrammed the ECU. Not sure.

Thanks
    Sanman68

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    TiCo99: NCS Dummy supports all E chassis provided that the respective DATEN files are present. These files are not distributed with NCS Dummy! For that you'll need either a working NCS Expert installation or a standalone SP-Daten download. If you do have a working NCS Expert installation, yet NCS Dummy cannot find the DATEN files, NCS Expert and its DATEN may be installed in a non-standard location. Just point NCS Dummy to the proper location on the "Options" tab. You should point NCS Dummy to the DATEN folder - not the E53 subfolder.

sanman68: The most common cause for that error message is not following the instructions from the user manual. Please read chapter 6 on how to create proper trace files for use with NCS Dummy.

My Cars
    2007 BMW M6, 2016 328x
    Revtor,

The I read chapter 6 in the manual. Followed the directions and it worked. No error. Thank you. I will read the rest of the manual before doing anything else. Really well written. Well done.

Sanman68

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Bit strange, I never touch the translation file, so it's always in the same folder as Dummy is.

Lately I notice some functions have really werid parameters.

Random example:

E39 MK60.C03

KOMFORTOEFFNEN_FB_O_SHD (which in itself is funny to show up in DSC module)

Data are 0, 3, 2 respectively, but their descriptions are: 4663_imp/km; E52; E46

And many more that have data of 0 and 1, which would normally mean off/on, but with very funny descriptions.

Something wrong with my install?

IG:

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast