Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    vnt: I do not have experience with this particular module but a quick look at its data suggests that you can indeed change "FEHLERLIMITS" as long as you update "CHECKSUMME_EKP3" as well. The checksum is a CRC-16/CCITT-FALSE over all bytes in the coding memory (excluding the 2-byte checksum obviously). In other words, concatenate the data bytes of keywords "KENNLINIEN", "FUNKTIONEN", "FEHLERLIMITS", "PUMPEN_PARAMETER" and "DATUM_UND_PUMPEN_ID" (in that order) into one large 128-byte array and calculate the CRC-16/CCITT-FALSE checksum of it. If you don't have a tool for it, copy/paste the byte array here.

My Cars
    2011 335i coupe
    Revtor,

The data from all the keywords is:
    01 14 82 02 14 98 19 16 90 32 18 B5 64 1C FE 96
    1F 40 FE 1F 40 01 5A 96 82 FE 82 01 8C 32 8C FE
    8C 55 10 68 7D 19 64
    32 60 04 08 00 14 A0 0A 78 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00 00 00 00 00
    A0 45 FF 2F 01 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 B4 3C 03
    82 96 17 00 FF 5A 2F 00 06 00 00 00 00 00
    05 DC 06 40 00 00 04 B0 04 B0 02 01 08 0B 02 05
    01 08 8C FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00 22 04 10 01 32

Thank you for your time.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    vnt: The checksum for that byte array is C2 3B.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Maybe something to build into NCS Dummy?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    MParallel: Everything NCS Dummy displays (apart from the interpreted values and translations) is deducted from the module description and trace files. Most of the modules that have checksums do not provide any information about what bytes the checksum applies to and even less about what algorithm it uses. This means support for checksums would have to be hardcoded in NCS Dummy per module. I would prefer to keep NCS Dummy completely independent from the module description files to ensure maximum compatibility.

Checksum properties/functions with only one parameter are usually automatically updated during FSW/PSW coding (hence why FSW/PSW coding is preferred over nettodata coding). Checksum functions with multiple parameters are not. However in many cases there's a clear relation to the other functions in the module: If all functions in the module have, say, exactly 10 values from wert_01 to wert_10 this usually implies that the checksum applies to parameters with the same name. You will find that the parameters with the same name have exactly the same order options and trace files read from such modules will have the same parameter names for each function. As long as you keep the parameter names in sync, you do not have to worry about the checksum. If however you want to mix different parameters or change data, you will have to figure out the checksum algorithm and recalculate the checksum.

My Cars
    None :(
    Hey Revtor,

Thanks for making NCS dummy. AWESOME tool!!!

I'm running into the Unresolved function keyword problem. I select my chassis, then the TRC file and then pick the module that I saw with NCS expert, and no matter what I do I get Unresolved function keyword with any module I download. I get the same error if is scroll through all the same module GM5.c01, c02...

This wasn't always the case. It ran fine initially but I've updated daten files and I think that's when the trouble began. I'm on a E46 chassis if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Post up the trace .trc file from the module in question.
    Only after reading will NCSExpert fully resolve the coding index (the .c01, .c02 etc bit)

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    Thanks Enda, Found my problem.

For some reason NCS expert had a lock on the trc file, and even though it was reading the modules, it was not updating the .trc file. Looks like it had GM5 info when I was reading AKMB. Shut down NCS expert and started it back up and she worked.

So if 6.1 in the manual doesn't work, then you might need to restart NCS expert & dummy.

BTW, I've also been using Revtor's profile exclusivly in NCS expert, and I noticed certain commands like CODIERDATEN_LESEN is repeated several times. I used another profile and saw the same issue. Is this a known problem with NCS Expert?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Under "Jobs"? I only have one entry there.

IG:

My Cars
    Correct. I have duplicates.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    And once again, NCS Dummy to the rescue by making a popular mod. truly awesome

It about retrofitting MFL controls to older models who never got this.

Now the radio and phone are easy. Then there is Cruise Control. The wiring/repinning is easy and in the big topic about this, it's mentioned numerous times that coding is irrelevant.

I only finish the Cruise Control part last week for many reasons, but all buttons now work.

I found the cruise control engagement pretty badm very jerky. Now with the stock stalk, it's not really smooth neither, but still. One of the main plusses of the GR2 module is that the accel/decel logic is to smooth it out, not get to the set speed as quickly as possible.

So I hook the car up and fired up NCS Expert and Dummy. Expecting to need to copy the relevent files from the E38/E39 or E46 folder, to my surprise, the E36 folder has them as well. While BMW never used this module in it. Or maybe "base" settings are similar?

Here are the NCS Expert/Dummy screenshots

There are 3 things to code:
    - Cilinder count
    - Cruise Standby switch version/led behavior (if you have MFL or dash switch)
    - Model car

After readon module coding:

So as you can see, my HW08 SW04 CC module came from an E39 520i manual, 6 cilinder and with MFL.

So that's 2/3 already correct.

Now as mention earlier in this thread, this mod will work without coding, but it will not be complete. Mine was very jery when activated. Maybe even worse with wrong cilinder count. It's been mentioned the module doesn't care. No the module doesn't, but the TD/Speed signal will be wrong, so the module will behave differently aka incorrectly.
    It makes sense, as different model cars will have different amount of throttle movement for x amount of cruise actuator activation.

So in my case, the last step was to select the correct model car:

Luckely BMW has many models selectable while not even used on all.

After that, the cruise engangement is very smooth and better than factory. So it's not just about having cruise through steering wheel buttons.

Very pleased and it would not have been possible without NCS Dummy!

IG:

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    I don't know if this have been asked already, but do you know how to code Brake Force Display or Adaptive Brake Lights for the '03 E46 M3 with OEM LED retrofit ?

Thanks

My Cars
    E46
    Hello
    I have used some code from NCS Dummy in my tool to update NFS files, is it ok with NCS Dummy licence or should I remove that code from my tool?
    Thank you
    Tool is here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1113462
    Last edited by firebie; 09-25-2016 at 01:53 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Where does NCS Dummy gets the "option" line from? The line that says what fuction/value is used for which model car?

I think I found an error, but this could be on BMW's side.

The FGR.C05 (cruise control) daten file, when you load the version from the E36, on the parameter "ZYLINDER_ZAHL", value 8 zylinders, it lists the "M52B28".

Unless I don't read the options line correctly. Sometimes there is a long line with + and ! listed. It's sometimes hard to understand what combines with what.

If there is anything I would like to be easier to understand, it would be this.

For what I listed above, the complete line is "M52B28+M60B40+ALPINA"

Now does that mean this option counts for either B28 or B40 or Alpine model or is it a combination of all (AND)?

AND would not make any sense as there is no such thing, but what I mean is, what would be the difference between "M52B28+M60B40+ALPINA", or "M52B28,M60B40,ALPINA". Or is it the same?

On the 6 Zylinder value it says:
    "M50B20,M50B25+!ALPINA,(M50B25,M52B28)+ALPINA+!(M6 0B40,ALPINA_328)"

Here it's getting really confusing for me. In my job I almost daily have to configure constraints with multiple AND/OR and =/!= nestings, but that is shown in a graphical tree.

It would be great if such a thing was possible here, but I can imagine this would be either very hard or impossible.

Under E38/E39/E46, the 'same' FGR.C05 file does not list the M52B28 under 8 Zylinders.

- - - Updated - - -

I use NCS Dummy / DIS etc on my small netbook (Win 7 Prof, 32bit)

I use the "/smalldisplay" argument to have a larger graphical editor. The only visible effect is the logile is reduced from 5 to 3 line. I don't see any change in fontsize as mentioned in the manual.

Anyways, I have some suggestions for the /smalldisplay argument.

- Only show a single logfile entry or even an option to completely hide it.
    - Have the Chassis and Module fields next to each other (on 1 line). The lenght of chassis/module is short enough. Ok the E89 chassis has the (......) listed behind it, but if I don't see that completely, that is fine.
    But there is enough horizontal space to show it all.
    - "FSW/PSW and Nettodata trace files" on top menu could also be moved
    - The line that shows "Version xxx, © Revtor 201x", I thought why not put that in the top bar that says "NCS Dummy", but I see it's a clickable link. But I guess this could also be repositioned to still work.
    - Only show Function and Address when standing on the main parameter title in the editor; when standing on any value, only show "Data" and "Options". Or make it so you can turn these on/off in the options tab where you can do this for "Functions".
    - Make the buttons at the bottom one line high. This makes them wider, but there is enough horizontal space.

This would all result in extra lines available for the graphical editor.

IG:

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by firebie View Post
    I have used some code from NCS Dummy in my tool to update NFS files, is it ok with NCS Dummy licence or should I remove that code from my tool?
    As long as you give credit to NCS Dummy and your software is freeware, I'm okay with that!

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Where does NCS Dummy gets the "option" line from? The line that says what fuction/value is used for which model car? I think I found an error, but this could be on BMW's side. The FGR.C05 (cruise control) daten file, when you load the version from the E36, on the parameter "ZYLINDER_ZAHL", value 8 zylinders, it lists the "M52B28".
    The order options are retrieved from the "<chassis>CVT.000" file.

Unless I don't read the options line correctly. Sometimes there is a long line with + and ! listed. It's sometimes hard to understand what combines with what.
    As explained in the user manual with an example ! (exclamation mark) is a boolean not, + (plus) a boolean and, and , (comma) a boolean or. This is actually the syntax used by BMW.

For what I listed above, the complete line is "M52B28+M60B40+ALPINA"

Now does that mean this option counts for either B28 or B40 or Alpine model or is it a combination of all (AND)?
    Since + is AND it means a combination of all. I do admit it does not make much sense in this case, but you can disassemble the E36CVT.000 for yourself and you will find the combination of "ZYLINDER_ZAHL" and "8_zylinder" listed under "M52B28+M60B40+ALPINA"... It could be a mistake by BMW although I've noticed BMW sometimes used some liberty in the application of the keywords. For example, on the E31 the "EWS" (immobilizer) keyword is used for the door lock heating...

The order options can be an invaluable resource to figure out the meaning or application of parameters, but just not always.

I use NCS Dummy / DIS etc on my small netbook (Win 7 Prof, 32bit)
    I use the "/smalldisplay" argument to have a larger graphical editor. The only visible effect is the logile is reduced from 5 to 3 line. I don't see any change in fontsize as mentioned in the manual.
    Windows 7's default font is "Segoe UI" at 9 points, whereas for example Windows XP used "Tahoma" at 8 points. What "/smalldisplay" is doing is nothing but forcing 8 points for the font size. If you don't see any difference, your Windows 7 is probably already set at a smaller font size.

- Only show a single logfile entry or even an option to completely hide it.
    You've requested this before, but like I wrote back then this is not an option in my opinion.

- Only show Function and Address when standing on the main parameter title in the editor; when standing on any value, only show "Data" and "Options". Or make it so you can turn these on/off in the options tab where you can do this for "Functions".
    But especially on smaller displays it's important to always see the function because the list of parameters may be taller than the available screen space. Also when editing or interpreting the "Data" field you may need the "Length" and "Mask" fields.

- Have the Chassis and Module fields next to each other (on 1 line). The lenght of chassis/module is short enough. Ok the E89 chassis has the (......) listed behind it, but if I don't see that completely, that is fine.
    But there is enough horizontal space to show it all.
    - "FSW/PSW and Nettodata trace files" on top menu could also be moved
    - The line that shows "Version xxx, © Revtor 201x", I thought why not put that in the top bar that says "NCS Dummy", but I see it's a clickable link. But I guess this could also be repositioned to still work.
    - Make the buttons at the bottom one line high. This makes them wider, but there is enough horizontal space.
    I guess some extra vertical space for the graphical trace editor can be done, but the GUI is designed in Windows Forms which is not very good at dynamic positioning of controls (and I like the current user interface on larger screens). I'll put it on the todo list to squeeze out extra lines but don't expect a new release any time soon. I'm currently working on other (non-BMW) projects...

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Thanks.

I agree the layout is fine for normal screens. No need to change anything.

It was all specially meant to be only applicable when using "/smalldisplay".

IG:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Idea: would it be possible for NCS Dummy to read/list all folders in the DATEN folder? As in custom folders created by user?

What I woud like to be aboe to do is to make multiple folders of same chassis for different cars. For example if I code my 328i or M3, they use different coding indexes/daten files as they don't have the same modules.

I'd like to have folders:

E36 (for all E36's, with all files)
    E36_328i
    E36_M3

328i and M3 folders only with the applicable modules / coding indexes files.

Then if I choose the 328i or M3 folder, the available modules are limited to what is applicable for that car.

This would also allow custom versions of module files that I only use for the chosen car.

IG:

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    That sounds like a lot of work to separate the different models into folders, considering NCS expert shows you the list of possible module types and that would be your start point.

eg- You'd start and connect NCS expert first, that will show all the codable module possibilities, and it's only a case of picking the trace out of an alphabetical list.

The flip side would be separating E36s in to ECE M3, US M3, 318 up to xxx, 316 from xxx and countless others.
    Manually sorting those lists would be tricky, NCS expert decides it based on build date and the chassis type code (characters 4-7 of your VIN), and collating all of them into the different groups and build dates would mean a massive drop down list.

The only benefit I can see is it being slightly quicker to run through the possible trace lists unless I'm not understanding what you're after.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I explained what I'm after in my post.

Not for all models and years. Just my two specific E36's. Know NCS will show me what I have, but if you see how few modules are in an E36, even my M3 with all options, it's a much shorter list than the whole E36 folder, dramatically reducing the dropdown list for modules.

For any other cars I would just use it as-is. But for one's own car...that you code often, it could be handy.

I have the folders already, now I need to rename E36_328 / ...M3 to E36. If Dummy would just read all folders in the DATEN files folder. Unless NCS also gets info from the module folders for read/write, instead of only the Work folder.

But in the end, it's just an idea/brainstorm.

IG:

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Idea: would it be possible for NCS Dummy to read/list all folders in the DATEN folder? As in custom folders created by user?

What I woud like to be aboe to do is to make multiple folders of same chassis for different cars. For example if I code my 328i or M3, they use different coding indexes/daten files as they don't have the same modules.

I'd like to have folders:

E36 (for all E36's, with all files)
    E36_328i
    E36_M3
    This is already possible with NCS Dummy although you need one extra step after creating the folders:

Assume you copied DATEN\E36 to DATEN\E36_M3, then you need to rename file E36_CONF.BAP in the new folder to E36_M3_CONF.BAP. Once done, NCS Dummy will recognize the "new" chassis.

In other words, NCS Dummy looks for a file <name>\<name>_CONF.BAP to load the chassis information from.

You can then strip all *.C?? module description files you do not need from the new folder, but keep all other files (like *.000, *.K00, *.DAT,...) - they are required for normal operation.

I'm not sure how useful this is, though... While you can trick NCS Dummy this way, it does not work for NCS Expert. NCS Expert keeps on using the files from DATEN\E36. So as soon as you make changes to the files in DATEN\E36_M3 (like disassembly/assembly and adding custom parameters), only NCS Dummy will see the changes and not NCS Expert which makes it pretty useless.

If you would like NCS Expert to support the same structure you must add the new chassis to the NCS Expert configuration file CFGDAT\COAPI.INI. Open the file in a plain text editor and add your "new" chassis to entry Baureihe:

[Baureihe]
    Baureihe = E31,E32,E33,E34,E36,E36_M3,E38,E39,E46,E52,E53,E60,E65,E70,E83,E85,E89,K24,R 50,R56,RR1

Please note I never tested this but I guess it should work. Test with read-only operations to confirm the theory before attempting coding...
    Last edited by revtor; 10-09-2016 at 04:05 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Thank you for that detailed explenation. I will give that a try.

IG:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ok gave it a try, but no succes. It worked up until you choose the ECU to read the ZCS/VIN from in NCS Expert. It then gives a chassis/Baureihe error.
    I tried renaming everything in the E36_328 that had E36 in it, but doesn't work.
    Could be there are tons of references within the files to E36.

So I guess it's just not worth the trouble.

thanks anyways.

IG:

My Cars
    '02 E46 M3 SMG
    Hi! First of all, thank you for this great software! I have installed the daten files for e89, 50.2. I am trying to code out bulb check on a e90. But all the checkboxes and text are greyed out...I cannot choose anything in the module tree. Does anyone have any idea why? On the FSW/PSW field I chose the empty FSW_PSW.MAN that was created by NCS Dummy if that is a pointer. Total newbie warning by the way
    Last edited by TommyL; 11-05-2016 at 10:43 AM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    TommyL: You've loaded an empty trace file so it's only logical NCS Dummy does not tick any checkboxes. You can tick them yourself but that's not how you should do it...

The proper workflow is:

1. Read "FSW_PSW.TRC" trace file from the module in the car (see chapters 6 and 6.1 in the NCS Dummy user manual)
    2. In NCS Dummy, set the chassis, module and load the trace file
    3. Make the desired changes
    4. Export the changes to the "FSW_PSW.MAN" trace manipulation file
    5. Recode the module in the car with NCS Expert using the "FSW_PSW.MAN" trace manipulation file (see chapter 6.2 in the NCS Dummy use manual)

In the PDF version of the user manual are a few simple examples that might help you understand how to work with NCS Dummy (chapter 7).

My Cars
    '02 E46 M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    TommyL: You've loaded an empty trace file so it's only logical NCS Dummy does not tick any checkboxes. You can tick them yourself but that's not how you should do it...

The proper workflow is:

1. Read "FSW_PSW.TRC" trace file from the module in the car (see chapters 6 and 6.1 in the NCS Dummy user manual)
    2. In NCS Dummy, set the chassis, module and load the trace file
    3. Make the desired changes
    4. Export the changes to the "FSW_PSW.MAN" trace manipulation file
    5. Recode the module in the car with NCS Expert using the "FSW_PSW.MAN" trace manipulation file (see chapter 6.2 in the NCS Dummy use manual)

In the PDF version of the user manual are a few simple examples that might help you understand how to work with NCS Dummy (chapter 7).
    I thought it may have something to do with that empty file...thanks a lot revtor! I will give it a go

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast