Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

My Cars
    2008 MINI COOPER D
    Revtor is saying that when you replace a module (like you did) it's better to default the module. NCSexpert uses info on ZCS/FA to do it.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    gmak: No. The central coding key (ZCS) or vehicle order (FA) is basically a description of your car's coding and it is stored in at least one module in your car. If you replace a module you can benefit from the ZCS/FA to automatically recode the new module to your car. It's quick and you do not have to worry about individual coding options. This is the mechanism that dealers use to recode replaced modules. They have neither the time, nor the tools, nor the knowledge to fiddle with individual coding options.

ZCS/FA recoding can be performed with NCS Expert too. It's almost identical to the regular coding process but you should not use the "NCS Dummy profile" or any other profile that has FSW/PSW manipulation enabled. NCS Expert usually comes with the "Expertmode" or "Expertenmodus" profile which can be used for ZCS/FA coding. Just follow the instructions in chapter 6.2 of the NCS Dummy user manual but ignore all mention of FSW_PSW.MAN, make sure to load the right profile in step 3 and, if listed, do not select the replaced module in step 7 (because that's the module from which the ZCS/FA will be read - that should be one of the original modules).

You can still use NCS Dummy afterwards if you wish to tinker with individual coding options, but ZCS/FA coding is an easy way to get at least the base coding right for your car.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Thanks guys. I'll apply these lessons.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

I'm using NCSdummy 0.6.0.7, and I'm missing the option to add parameters when right clicking on functions. When I right click on functions, all I get is "Copy Keyword Name." Is there a setting I need to enable to have this function available to me?

My Cars
    2011 E82
    Great Software; you're a quite a noble person to be maintaining the software and this thread: Kudos! If I ever run into you in any Belgium bar, drinks are on me!

My Cars
    2008 MINI COOPER D
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrtopher View Post
    I'm using NCSdummy 0.6.0.7, and I'm missing the option to add parameters when right clicking on functions. When I right click on functions, all I get is "Copy Keyword Name." Is there a setting I need to enable to have this function available to me?
    You cannot have trace file loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by clawpt View Post
    You cannot have trace file loaded.
    About time I posted it I saw that. Muh bad! Revtor, this is an excellent program. Many beers for you.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35D
    Thanks revtor for your work!! I have one question please.

The ncs profile i was using before has a one difference than your new profile for coding which is:
    OLD profile:
    [SGET]SgetLesen=1
    FktSgAuswahl=1
    FktSgetEingeben=1

New profile:
    [SGET]
    SgetLesen=1
    FktSgAuswahl=1
    FktSgetEingeben=0

So what does this difference mean?Can i still use my old profile for coding or i should new one? Thanks

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    I was wondering if I can code a used ccc to my 2007 BMW 550i with expert. I had an older version from 2012 that I never got working. Im sure I have to make a copy of my cars original settings just to prevent a catastrophe...Or is that something that doesnt have to be done anymore? I downloaded the latestst versions along with the profiles etc. but it all seems too easy. Do I just plug my obd cable and run the software?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Provided you are using up to date Daten files you should be able to default code your CCC to your cars VIN using Expertprofile. If your car is later than 03/2007, you will have to use a DCAN interface but the software is very easy to use for default coding. Start it, choose a profile, then enter your VIN and choose a module to read your vehicle order from, then select the ECU you want to code and write the default settings to it.
    Last edited by David Mc; 04-15-2016 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    How do I know if I have the updated Daten files? When I first ran the latest version of ncs I didn't get the option window...doesn't that mean they're up to date? Where's Expertprofile? I didn't see that in the beginning of this thread..when you say choose a profile, do you mean from the drop down menu (e60,e46 etc)?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    NCSEXPERT is different software to NCSDummy. NCSEXPER is part of the EDIABAS suite of programs - NCS Dummy is supplementary software used to view the codeable options of individual modules - you cannot use NCSDummy as stand alone software to restore default settings to a module. I run NCSEXPER v3.1.0, which has only 3 dropdown menus - File, View and Help. The profile selection is made from the file menu. Daten files should be stored in the NCSEXPER DATEN folder on your hard drive - right click on the folder for your model variant and view the details of the enclosed files - make sure the date modified is later than the build date of your car.
    Last edited by David Mc; 04-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    NCSEXPERT is different software to NCSDummy. NCSEXPER is part of the EDIABAS suite of programs - NCS Dummy is supplementary software used to view the codeable options of individual modules - you cannot use NCSDummy as stand alone software to restore default settings to a module. I run NCSEXPER v3.1.0, which has only 3 dropdown menus - File, View and Help. The profile selection is made from the file menu. Daten files should be stored in the NCSEXPER DATEN folder on your hard drive - right click on the folder for your model variant and view the details of the enclosed files - make sure the date modified is later than the build date of your car.
    Hmmm, do i still need to upgrade to dis v57 to use NCSEXPERT? Sorry for the newb questions but Ive been out of the loop for four years.

- - - Updated - - -

Provided you are using up to date Daten files you should be able to default code your CCC to your cars VIN using Expertprofile. If your car is later than 03/2007, you will have to use a DCAN interface but the software is very easy to use for default coding. Start it, choose a profile, then enter your VIN and choose a module to read your vehicle order from, then select the ECU you want to code and write the default settings to it.
    I decoded my vin and it reads that my vehicle was produced 04/12/2006... Will I still be able to use my Inpa compatible obd/ads interface cable? It worked perfectly with Inpa and disgt1. Also, The only profiles I see under the file menu in ncs expert are : code control unit, and expertmode....is that the same as expertprofile? Lastly, I opened the daten folder and I see the e60 folder and The date under the tab "date modified" reads 8/7/2003 so I'm assuming these are out of date..
    Last edited by Big Chaze; 04-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No, you don't need DIS v57 to run NCSEXPERT. Since your car was built in 2006, you can run NCS fine with your OBD interface but your DATEN files are way out of date and will need updating.

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    No, you don't need DIS v57 to run NCSEXPERT. Since your car was built in 2006, you can run NCS fine with your OBD interface but your DATEN files are way out of date and will need updating.
    I was able to update my daten files...but when I try to run ncs expert tool I get an error message that reads "the procedure entry point_apitrace@8 could not be located in the dynamic link library api32.dll..and what about expert mode and expertprofile? Are they the same things?
    I'm tired...lol
    Last edited by Big Chaze; 04-15-2016 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Yes, expertmode and Expert profile are the same thing. If you have been using INPA, try closing the EDIABAS Server before you start NCS.

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    Yes, expertmode and Expert profile are the same thing. If you have been using INPA, try closing the EDIABAS Server before you start NCS.
    Ok, i think its running fine. Im wondering how difficult coding this ccc will actually be..

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    It should be so easy that you won't believe you have done it. 15 minutes tops including firing up your laptop.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by amitsekhon View Post
    The ncs profile i was using before has a one difference than your new profile for coding which is:

OLD profile:
    FktSgetEingeben=1

New profile:
    FktSgetEingeben=0

So what does this difference mean?Can i still use my old profile for coding or i should new one? Thanks
    The only difference is that FktSgetEingeben=0 suppresses the "Enter SGET data" window after selecting the ECU. Under normal circumstances you never have to make changes in that window so I've suppressed it in the NCS Dummy profile to keep things simpler.

Another change in the NCS Dummy profile is that it defaults to job "CODIERDATEN_LESEN" instead of "SG_CODIEREN" which is safer and most likely the first job you'll need.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    gmak: No. The central coding key (ZCS) or vehicle order (FA) is basically a description of your car's coding and it is stored in at least one module in your car. If you replace a module you can benefit from the ZCS/FA to automatically recode the new module to your car. It's quick and you do not have to worry about individual coding options. This is the mechanism that dealers use to recode replaced modules. They have neither the time, nor the tools, nor the knowledge to fiddle with individual coding options.

ZCS/FA recoding can be performed with NCS Expert too. It's almost identical to the regular coding process but you should not use the "NCS Dummy profile" or any other profile that has FSW/PSW manipulation enabled. NCS Expert usually comes with the "Expertmode" or "Expertenmodus" profile which can be used for ZCS/FA coding. Just follow the instructions in chapter 6.2 of the NCS Dummy user manual but ignore all mention of FSW_PSW.MAN, make sure to load the right profile in step 3 and, if listed, do not select the replaced module in step 7 (because that's the module from which the ZCS/FA will be read - that should be one of the original modules).

You can still use NCS Dummy afterwards if you wish to tinker with individual coding options, but ZCS/FA coding is an easy way to get at least the base coding right for your car.

Before I do this, will this update the module with the latest / greatest version of its software, or just what was there before? Or, should I use WINKFP for making sure that I have the most recent version of the module software?
    Last edited by gmak; 04-20-2016 at 06:46 AM.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    The only difference is that FktSgetEingeben=0 suppresses the "Enter SGET data" window after selecting the ECU. Under normal circumstances you never have to make changes in that window so I've suppressed it in the NCS Dummy profile to keep things simpler.

Another change in the NCS Dummy profile is that it defaults to job "CODIERDATEN_LESEN" instead of "SG_CODIEREN" which is safer and most likely the first job you'll need.
    Thanks a lot Revtor for your explanation!!!

My Cars
    2011 BMW E93 Cabrio
    Hi all, I am really struggling with the FM_DEEMPHASIS and dont understand how to change it. Background, I am trying to change the radio frequency of a BMW 328i E93 US model to European radio.

So far I have done the following:
    Removed $645 from the VO. $645 = US Radio Control.
    Changed Radio Country in CiC module to ECE

I know I am supposed to change FM_DEEMPHASIS to 50us (US standard is 75us) but I dont know how.
    There are only 2 options under FM_DEEMPHASIS, werte 01 and werte 02.
    One says !US+KOREA and the other says US+KOREA.
    I tried both these options but didnt work. The mask is 001 and not FF, so as far as I understood the explanation in opening post I can in this case only change to 000 or 001. What should I do exactly to set this to 50us??

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Last edited by trdiablo; 04-20-2016 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by trdiablo View Post
    Hi all, I am really struggling with the FM_DEEMPHASIS and dont understand how to change it. Background, I am trying to change the radio frequency of a BMW 328i E93 US model to European radio.

So far I have done the following:
    Removed $645 from the VO. $645 = US Radio Control.
    Changed Radio Country in CiC module to ECE

I know I am supposed to change FM_DEEMPHASIS to 50us (US standard is 75us) but I dont know how.
    I tried both these options but didnt work. The mask is 001 and not FF, so as far as I understood the explanation in opening post I can in this case only change to 000 or 001. What should I do exactly to set this to 50us??

Any tips greatly appreciated.

You should probably start a new thread for this. More people will see it.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Before I do this, will this update the module with the latest / greatest version of its software, or just what was there before? Or, should I use WINKFP for making sure that I have the most recent version of the module software?
    NCS Expert does not touch the programming (firmware/software) of a module. NCS Expert does only coding (configuration/settings). Programming is WinKFP's territory. There's no need to reprogram the module before using NCS Expert.

Quote Originally Posted by trdiablo View Post
    Remember that what you read and update with NCS Expert is the configuration of the module - not its software. Sometimes the configuration of a module works with exact values, other times the exact values are only in the software and the configuration points to it index-based. The latter is clearly the case for "FM_DEEMPHASIS". Nevertheless, judging by the order options it's quite safe to assume that "wert_01" represents 50 µs and "wert_02" 75 µs. You would not be able to set "FM_DEEMPHASIS" to a custom value of, say, 25 µs but that would not make sense anyways...

I have no experience with converting a US radio to ECE, but a quick Google search shows that others had success with setting "RADIO_COUNTRY", "FM_DEEMPHASIS" (both of which you did) and "ANZEIGE_FREQ" (just a cosmetic change, should not affect radio operation). If you look at the order options for the other radio-related functions in the trace file you'll notice quite a few are region-dependent as well, but the most important bits should work correctly after changing those 3 functions. Why it doesn't work for you, I don't know. Double-check whether the coding actually stuck to the module.

Anyway, as mentioned by gmak I would recommend starting a new topic since your problem has very little to do with NCS Dummy.

My Cars
    2008 335Xi
    Love this tool...but I do not seem to have any luck. I am trying to change my display units to mls from km and C to F for temperature. Car was imported into the US from Canada so the factory defaults are metric and I have a Dynavin head unit so I cannot use the Menu option as you normally would. I have tried a few things - namely altering the KOMBI module and looking for WEG_EINHEIT parameter to alter the value to mls. When I read the KOMBI module, this parameter is not present. Does anyone have any experience with this procedure for an e90 - 2008 335Xi?

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast