Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    I can't seem to get this downloaded. I get a page cannot be displayed message and nslookup can't resolve the domain to an IP address. Is the site down or has the URL changed?

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    The webserver is back - sorry for the downtime.
    Last edited by revtor; 07-20-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Update - webserver is back

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i
    Ah cool, thank you.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Hey I found one where your translation nicht aktiv/aktive = not enabled / enabled is not valid!

BREMSLICHTSCHALTER
    passiv
    aktiv enabled

From E36 ABS MK20!

Anyways I will send you some translations soon

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    I see... Thanks for the heads-up! These situations are a bit of a problem for NCS Dummy because the translations are simply identifier based - not context based. Identifier "aktiv" will always translate to "enabled" or whatever is in the translations file for this identifier. This is also why you shouldn't "explain" a variable in the translations because its context and meaning can differ between modules. Luckily, in this case I can simply resolve it by renaming "enabled" to "active"... I've updated the translations in the NCS Dummy download (executable hasn't changed):
    Code:
    BREMSLICHTSCHALTER          
        aktiv                       active
        passiv                      passive
    BREMSWARNLEUCHTE            
        aktiv                       active
        nicht_aktiv                 not active
    Thanks in advance for the translations!

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Ok, well I sent you a translations.csv with a total 527 translations. I think this covers the majority of interesting things in E36/E38/E39/E53

I am doing some cleanup so if you ever got that list ignore it. I am e.g. marking the options I know are from Car & Key Memory as such.
    Last edited by joako; 08-20-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 745li
    Is the NCS Dummy above punctionally identical for E65 and E66? Thanks

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    I'm not too familiar with that chassis but I don't see why there should be much, if any, difference for the LWB model besides perhaps different features fitted standard. But if you don't see an E66 option just select E65.

If you are talking about does NCS Dummy support your car, I think it's pretty well explained in the first post -- as long as you have the relevent NCS Expert files for the chassis NCS Dummy should be able to process your FSW_PSW file.

In terms of will the NCS Dummy output be useful to you, that depends. If you know German it shoudn't be a big deal except for some of the initialisims that are used (but I think the majority of the interesting ones are already translated) I've sent revtor my translations and he has cleaned them up and they are already included in the download link here. As far as I know the coverage for E31, E36, E46, E39 is pretty complete except I didn't really bother to translate much that is for "stuff you shouldn't change" like airbag parameters and such. There is some iDrive translations I submitted as well as car/key memory translations that are more than likely to be relevant to the new chassis.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    I have updated NCS Dummy to version 0.2.1.1. Only minor changes this time. Version 0.2.1.1 scans the NCS Expert data folder for chassis instead of relying on a hardcoded list of supported chassis. This means whenever there are new chassis, NCS Dummy will support these immediatly. No need to wait for an updated version. The other change is a check for the Microsoft .NET Framework version. NCS Dummy requires .NET Framework 3.5, but several people tried to run it on older versions resulting to incorrect behavior.

My Cars
    E90
    very nice program

is it possible to read out the HEX values for each possible value?
    for example

Code:
    NSW_BEI_ABBLENDLICHT     
        aktiv                  00 01
        nicht_aktiv          00 00
    the values are readable here:
    example in the "LKM2.C25"

...05 10 00 D7 01 01 00 00 C2 05 10 00 D8 01 01 00 01 CC 10 12...

the possible values
    the HEX value for the value

i hope you understand me
    perhaps it is possible to add this in the program?!

greez
    ypoc

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Already possible. Just launch the application with following command-line parameter:

NcsDummy.exe /mode=verbose

My Cars
    E90
    hi

not that what i mean
    i do not mean the hex value for identify "wert_01"
    i mean the hex value what will be written in the ecu when you select "wert_01"
    the red marked hexcodes are the positions of the values what will be written in ecu

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

Trace file with fields not in parameter file - ??

I trust this is the correct forum/thread for my question. If not, please suggest an alternative.

I've run NCS Dummy for E39 LCM and KMB and getting back trace parameters/fields that are not in the parameter list. For example.
    Generated with NCS Dummy version 0.2.1.1 — copyright © 2010 revtor software

Output : Trace Parameters
    Chassis : Chassis
    Module : LCM.C19

S PARAMETER NAME PARAMETER NAME TRANSLATION
    PARAMETER VALUE PARAMETER VALUE TRANSLATION
    ABBLENDLICHT_PRUEF
    * melden report
    nicht_melden do not report
    ABFRAGEZEIT_AHM
    * wert_01 value 01
    ABKLAPPSTELLUNG
    nicht_aktiv not active
    ABLAUFSTEUERUNG_1
    nicht_aktiv not active
    ABLAUFSTEUERUNG_2
    nicht_aktiv not active
    ABS_MIN_STELLUNG_2
    * wert_01 value 01
    Note that ABKLAPPSTELLUNG, ABLAUFSTEUERUNG_1 & ABLAUFSTEUERUNG_2 have no values with <*> and are not in the parameter file either. I've dozens of these in the 2 modules.

Given that NCS Dummy reads the NCS Expert data files, shouldn't this be impossible?

Some data:
    NCS Expert - V 3.0.8
    Vehicle e39 2003 530i build 9/2002
    Low cluster
    The car is working fine. I'm not trying to fix anything, rather trying to enable low coolant warning in a low cluster - described in a thread in diagnostic software forum here in bimmerforums.com.

The car is new to me. I'm also new to NCS Expert et al, but I followed the instructions from NCS Dummy very carefully, as in paranoid carefull.

Is this a software glitch, a mongrel of a car or am I mis-interpreting the output?

Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    I just notice a stupid error in 0.2.1.1... After changing the chassis detection mechanism from version 0.2.1.0, the program no longer shows the chassis in the outputted files. It just shows "Chassis : Chassis" which is of course pointless. Note this should have no effect whatsoever on the actual data NCS Dummy generates. It will be fixed in the next version.

rdl: Can you send your LCM "FSW_PSW.TRC" file to ? Thanks.

ypoc: I'm looking into this but it's a little bit more complex than the example you gave, so it might take a while before I release a new version with support for that. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by revtor; 09-25-2010 at 01:56 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    The trace file has been sent as requested.
    Thanks for your interest

Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Hi Revtor

I was playing around with NCS Dummy, and I noticed that the file generated for my KMB by NCS Dummy seems to have parameters not seen when I read the data off the car. Interestingly enough, if I create an FSW_PSW.MAN with one of those missing parameters, the code seems to take (though the behavior of the KMB seems completely unchanged). The parameter that I noticed was "KVA_OELTEMP".

I've attached the FSW_PSW I read off my car. My car's VO is as follows:
    Code:
    E46_#0303&N6SW%0405*EV53$210$226$249$251$302$354$403$411$441$459$465$473$481$494$495$502$520$522$534$550$620$644$645$650$661$672$674$692$710$716$760$767$772$775$787$818$823$832$845$853$876$925$992-BFDY
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-26-2010 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    I assume you refer to the exported module parameters, right? If so, yes it's normal for certain modules to have more module parameters than your trace file shows. You should always use the trace parameters when constructing a modified "FSW_PSW.MAN" - not the module parameters. The module parameters export is there to show what's available in the *.C?? module file, but your actual module may not support all entries.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    I assume you refer to the exported module parameters, right? If so, yes it's normal for certain modules to have more module parameters than your trace file shows. You should always use the trace parameters when constructing a modified "FSW_PSW.MAN" - not the module parameters. The module parameters export is there to show what's available in the *.C?? module file, but your actual module may not support all entries.
    Why wouldn't BMW just assign a different coding index if the feature isn't present? I would think all KMB_E46.C07s would be identical as far as the coding options go.

And idk, like I said, NCS Expert didn't error out. Like if you just make up a parameter and try to write it, it'll give you a coding faulty error (obviously).

I usually do just use the tracefile to make the fsw_psw.man, but I was hoping to be able to enable the oil temp sensor lol

Interestingly enough, there are other modules where parameters are present, but don't allow you to switch the value to the different options listed in the daten file. (E46 radio comes to mind). I forget which parameter, but there's one that has a wert_00 and wert_01. I try to change flip it, but the radio seems to reject it.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-26-2010 at 03:59 PM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    I've run NCS Dummy for E39 LCM and KMB and getting back trace parameters/fields that are not in the parameter list.
    I took a look at the files you sent. It appears you are feeding NCS Dummy with an incorrect "FSW_PSW.TRC" file. Your trace file contains entries from various modules. The lines that don't have a selection (asterisk) in the NCS Dummy output do not belong to the LCM.C19 module...

You should never generate a "FSW_PSW.TRC" file from all modules at once, nor program from a "FSW_PSW.MAN" that contains entries from various modules. This may result in unpleasant surprises. Always work module by module. Refer to the first post of this thread for instructions on how to create proper "FSW_PSW.TRC" files.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    I took a look at the files you sent. It appears you are feeding NCS Dummy with an incorrect "FSW_PSW.TRC" file. Your trace file contains entries from various modules. The lines that don't have a selection (asterisk) in the NCS Dummy output do not belong to the LCM.C19 module...

You should never generate a "FSW_PSW.TRC" file from all modules at once, nor program from a "FSW_PSW.MAN" that contains entries from various modules. This may result in unpleasant surprises. Always work module by module. Refer to the first post of this thread for instructions on how to create proper "FSW_PSW.TRC" files.
    Revtor - thanks for the reply.
    I've re-run the documented process, extra extra carefully!
    I still get the result described above
    I've sent revtor full details by-e-mail since I haven't worked out how to attach a file, i.e. the trace files, in a posting.

Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    I get a FSW_PSW.TRC trace file that seemingly contains all of the modules if I experience an error message while reading a couple of different modules in my R56 with NCS Expert. My guess is that it is the master ZCS file because I changed my restraint system to not show the seat belt reminder Check control, the module shows my updated value while this "master file" shows the original value.

My Cars
    05 M3 Vert
    I just wanna say your work is very much appreciated man, thanks for sharing!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 525DA

question

Hi Revtor, big thanks for your article and sorry for my poor english.

I would have a little problem maybe you can help.
    As I read and understood your article, I tried to turn on (in this car it is turned off) seat belt warning in an E39 with success. Thanks to Ncs expert, Ncs dummy and you.
    But in my friends we have some bmw e60 and tried to coding them.
    I have ncs expert 3.08

Firstly I tried to connect my 2006 525DA (business version) but when I select ECU cas I get an error message something wrong with th FA : $7R9. I checked the internet and thought thats why my car is younger than that version of ncs expert I have and that's why it cant understand something in FA.
    No problem I tried my frend's 2003 530DA (business) and in this case I get over on this problem, ncs could read the FA but when I wanted to choose ECU only saw MOST and CCC modules and got an error about the FWR problem.
    I thought it can be about the business compuetr maybe and I ask another friend to give me his 2006 535DA (professional) and in this case is the same with the 2003 friend's car.

Where am I take mistake or what's wrong? If you could help me in something where to start what to do etc would very useful for me.

Don't forget, with the E39 I have full succes so I completely understand and done with your article.

My ncs is old or my cable is (Dcan compatible but I have obdII to (whit this can not get answer from ecu)).

Very thank you for your reply.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 525DA
    More info that when I hook up the E60 535DA 2006 then I got this message" Coapi-1141 error FSW". But the tracefile is generated when I choose an Ecu forexample CCCGW04. But with this tiny error message I don't dare step forward.

My Cars
    2004 x5 3.0, 1998 328ic
    revtor - does your profile included with the package work with all models or just an e31? Also, what its the difference between yours and fisters (does it matter which one I use?)

Great stuff, now if I just took German in HS like I wanted (damn Jewish parents!)

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast