Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

My Cars
    2006 BMW E64 650i
    Hi
    you have done a such a awosam work, and its really help full and easy to understand, super mind blowing job you have done,

And this is the error i am facing, and i have tried to encounter but could not, kindly help me out in this, how do i make this correct, i hope you can under stand where this msg appear,

[E] 22:58:42 An error occurred while reading "C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\FSW_PSW.TRC": Unresolved function keyword "HELL_OFFSET_DEFAULT". Make sure chassis and module match those of the trace file.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Faisal Khan 873: The trace file you have is not valid. Please follow the steps in chapter 6.1 of the NCS Dummy user manual to create proper trace files.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Not sure if I posted this idea before, but would it be possible (without totally reprogramming the app) to have an option to make the search display only the results that match the search criteria. Instead of jumping through the parameters one by one?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    MParallel: That has been requested several times before (including by you) but I've always turned it down as requiring too many changes to the graphical trace editor. I gave it another thought and came up with a more or less working proof of concept.

I'm not sure yet how to implement it in NCS Dummy, though... I don't want to replace the existing search functionality but rather complement it. Here's an idea:

• Additional "Filter" button on the search screen
    • Clicking "Filter" instead of "Find Next" filters the list instead of simply searching it
    • Filtering uses the same logic as the regular search but parameters are always all included. So if function "X" has parameters "a" and "b" and you filter on "a", "X" will be displayed with both "a" and "b". That's not due to technical limitations but I'm afraid that displaying function "X" with only parameter "a" will create very confusing situations
    • While filtered you can still use "Find Next", F3 and Shift+F3 to find next and previous matches. That should compensate for the previous
    • While filtered you can use the trace editor as normal (select parameters, add new FSW/PSW parameters, add custom nettodata,...)
    • Closing the search window (or pressing the escape key) cancels the filter and restores the full list

What do you think?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Sounds like a good solution to me.

My request was not a must-have, but a nice-to-have. Specially if you have to rewrite too much code.

This sounds like the end result is (as good as) the same as what was requested.

IG:

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL

Question

I need a little help here... maybe I'm the dummy

My E39 (prod. 10/96) recently decided to ignore its remote key fob, after leaving the key in it for weeks and the battery ran down flat. Resync procedure doesn't fix it. Nor did replacing the antenna amplifier in the left rear pillar. Key LED flashes and the key puts out a strong 315 MHz signal when a button is pushed. Central locking, fuel door, etc. all work from the door key and from the console locking button. Fuses (especially #53) are intact.

The only thing I can think of (besides a hard failure in the GM3) is that some setting changed in the GM3 during the battery running down slowly.
    So I've been learning about NCS Expert + Dummy.
    Today I found that one of my cables works only with PASoft and the other only with NCS... whatever.
    Anyhow I can communicate with the car, read the VIN and other info, and read the coding data according to the Dummy manual.

First I noticed that the Key/Remote Enabled was set to inactive. I changed that, saved the file back to FSW_PSW.TRC, changed the job to SG_Codieren and executed.
    Even after a key resync, still no change.

There is also a job that has something to do with "key memory NR" (is that a reset function)?
    Before I "brick" my car (at least everything works and I can drive except for having to lock/unlock from the door key), can you give me some advice?
    Should I get a used GM3 High and recode?

Or maybe start a new thread? I do have a key fob not working thread in the E39 forum already.

thanks for any help.
    -Charles
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    If you use NCS Dummy, you can never brick a module as you can’t code to a value that doesn’t work. Even if you did, just code back to the old value.

So to start deduction. Not sure, but the resync procedure itself, does that work? If so, remote signals work.

IG:

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    If you use NCS Dummy, you can never brick a module as you can’t code to a value that doesn’t work. Even if you did, just code back to the old value.
    That is good to know, thanks.

So to start deduction. Not sure, but the resync procedure itself, does that work? If so, remote signals work.
    I am not sure exactly what you mean by "resync procedure itself"? I have followed it to the letter (as Qsilver and others have posted). The key LED blinks about 10 times after the button is released but the central locks do not lock & unlock again. As noted, there is RF transmission from the key at the correct frequency.

Edited to add: Upon re-reading the NCS Dummy instructions (particularly 6. NCS Expert) I may not have exported/coded the changes properly. Will try again tomorrow when it's not actively raining.
    Last edited by DrCharles; 07-04-2020 at 09:40 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Is gm5.c05 the latest/last hardware revision of the GM5 unit for the E46 M3 or is there newer?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
    That is good to know, thanks.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "resync procedure itself"? I have followed it to the letter (as Qsilver and others have posted). The key LED blinks about 10 times after the button is released but the central locks do not lock & unlock again. As noted, there is RF transmission from the key at the correct frequency.

Edited to add: Upon re-reading the NCS Dummy instructions (particularly 6. NCS Expert) I may not have exported/coded the changes properly. Will try again tomorrow when it's not actively raining.
    Forget everything. If you followed the resync (initialize) procedure to the letter (that was all I asked) and the car does not lock-unlock (but blinks 10 times) the key is not initialize and therefor not work.

This won’t be fixed by NCS Expert/Dummy.

I had this problem with my E36 in 2012 and went a year without remote controls. I solved it because I accidentally stumbled upon some technical document.

Long story short, some how, some way (still a mystery) the initialize lock had activated (which I didn’t know existed).
    Then the solution was easy. Fire up INPA, go to remote controls (a separate module in the E36 convertible), deactivate the initialize lock and all was solved. Procedure worked again and I had remote functions again.

Don’t know about a 1996 E39, regarding remotes. But if you did the procedure, nothing happens and 10 blinks, there is a good chance this might be it.

IG:

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    Forget everything. If you followed the resync (initialize) procedure to the letter (that was all I asked) and the car does not lock-unlock (but blinks 10 times) the key is not initialize and therefor not work.

This won’t be fixed by NCS Expert/Dummy.
    Thank you, now your meaning is clear.

I had this problem with my E36 in 2012 and went a year without remote controls. I solved it because I accidentally stumbled upon some technical document.

Long story short, some how, some way (still a mystery) the initialize lock had activated (which I didn’t know existed).
    Then the solution was easy. Fire up INPA, go to remote controls (a separate module in the E36 convertible), deactivate the initialize lock and all was solved. Procedure worked again and I had remote functions again.
    That is good news, I will certainly try that! Thanks for the tip. But I just learned to code with NCS, now I have to learn INPA too?
    Can this initialize lock fix be done with PASoft 1.4 which I have successfully used previously (to fix my speedometer error)?

Meanwhile I tested my ability to actually recode (set active the automatic locking above a certain speed, and sure enough it locks the doors when I start driving). So at least I can tinker with things!

I am still curious though, what is the NCS job "KEY-MEMORY-NR"? Maybe that is where the secret lies.

Edited to add: I do not get either black dot with INPA and it will not communicate, with either the USB cable (that DOES work with PASoft) or the serial cable (that I'm using with NCS). But from what I've been reading, INPA is basically a diagnostic not a coding program anyway?

Also, on the E39 the central locking is definitely only the key fob, antenna amplifier, and general module GM3. There isn't a separate remote control module. I can't locate anything such as an initialize lock. Now what?

UPDATE: As noted in another thread, the problem was a defective GM3. I got a newer one from an E53, recoded it to match my E39, resynced the key and it works again.

Thanks again "Revtor" for making this very useful program available!
    Last edited by DrCharles; 07-15-2020 at 01:34 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    I spoke too soon. Everything's working EXCEPT the trunk lock. Trunk button on left front footwell is dead, so is trunk lock (other than manual opening) and keyfob button... the other junkyard module does actuate the trunk, but I need wipers more than I need remote trunk

All the options I can find in NCS Dummy seem to be set. Note that this module came out of an E53 X5 with a hatch, so is there something else I need to set for an E39 sedan to make the trunk work?

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    Update: I recoded the module to factory defaults for my car. That fixed it. Apparently due to the differences between a .C04 E39 and replacing it with a .C10 E53 module...
    Perhaps that could be emphasized in the NCS Dummy instructions?

My Cars
    1985 318i & 2003 Touring
    I have a Unique issue.
    0303 E46 Touring. have completed a retrofit of power fold mirrors, including door modules and drivers door switch for folding.
    The mirrors fold with the manual button on the new door switch, but will not auto (comfort) fold with key fob locking / unlocking, nor will they auto fold out when driving.

GM5 coded for folding mirrors, also VO $313 added.

I wanted to code the two door modules (for auto fold) but NCS does not show these two modules in my list of modules. I am unable to access them to code. For some reason NCS Expert does not see the modules.

I have used INPA and this can see and read the door modules. I can operate the mirrors and view the coding status via INPA. (in INPA coding status of these modules, I can see that 'comfort fold' is not active)

PA soft, can see and read the modules, but the coding function is 'grayed out'

So I suppose my first question is: How do I get NCS expert to list these two door modules, so I can access them to code?

Any suggestions wold be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Murray

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    From the top of my head, the GM5 should have a parameter like Spiegelklappen funkfernbedienung / mirror folding remote
    control.

IG:

My Cars
    1985 318i & 2003 Touring
    From the top of my head, the GM5 should have a parameter like Spiegelklappen funkfernbedienung / mirror folding remote
    control.
    I have aktiv; BEIKLAPP_B_KOMFORTSCHL_GM. Comfort folding outside mirrors. i had a look for 'mirror folding remote' sadly not available in my GM5

I could maybe change the 'comfort fold' code status in the door modules, FTM and BTM, via eeprom, hex code edit, via PA soft. The big trick is how to identify the part of the hex code that corresponds to this particular code.

or,

find out why NCS expert doesnt let me see the door modules to code.

Bit of a quandary............

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Not all modules have coding options. For example the E36 remote
    control module, can be diagnosed through DIS/INPA, but will not show up in NCS Expert, as nothing
    can be coded.

IG:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Do you have remote comfort closing set
    to aktive?

I recall coding this on a friends E46 M3. I recall you have to press the lock button a
    second time and hold it to fold the mirrors.

ps what’s the coding index of your GM5?
    Last edited by MParallel; 08-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    1985 318i & 2003 Touring
    Do you have remote comfort closing set
    to aktive?

I recall coding this on a friends E46 M3. I recall you have to press the lock button a
    second time and hold it to fold the mirrors.

ps what’s the coding index of your GM5?
    I don't have remote folding as an option in my GM5, just 'comfort closing folding outside mirrors' which is aktiv.
    I just tried your suggestion of pressing the lock button a second time, alas it didn't work.

I have a GM5 C04

I have been doing some reading about NCS dommy. If I could get a copy of someones BTM and FTM (door modules) Nettodata files, I could then identify which part of the hex data is for the code I want to change. Then use PA soft to change it in the eeprom. Maybe Im thinking too much. A bit like the Temp indicator parameter change mod that has been talked about.

Here's a screen shot of my door module from INPA. It shows the coding settings, and the setting I want is not aktiv. But in INPA you cant change the coding settings.

Thanks for your comments.2020-06-13 16_04_54-Greenshot.jpg

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    That’s not what I said.

You need to set remote comfort closure to aktiv, if you haven’t.

Can you remote open/close all windows?

IG:

My Cars
    1985 318i & 2003 Touring
    That’s not what I said.

You need to set remote comfort closure to aktiv, if you haven’t.

Can you remote open/close all windows?
    Yep, If I press and hold the remote lock button, any open windows will close, and the opposite when I press and hold the open button, all windows and sunroof open.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ok got it. So you are missing the FTM and BTM daten files for NCS Export to code the mirror folding.

I checked my NCS install and have both files in my E46 DATEN folder.

I uploaded them for you in this .ar file.

http://idon-industries.com/bmw/e46_d...datenfiles.rar

EDIT: I hope this is enough. Maybe NCS doesn't detect them based on the VIN. But iirc NCS should show all modules anyways.

If not, maybe you will also need to add the correct .GRP files to the ECU folder.
    Last edited by MParallel; 08-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    1985 318i & 2003 Touring
    Ok got it. So you are missing the FTM and BTM daten files for NCS Export to code the mirror folding.

I checked my NCS install and have both files in my E46 DATEN folder.

I uploaded them for you in this .ar file.

http://idon-industries.com/bmw/e46_d...datenfiles.rar

EDIT: I hope this is enough. Maybe NCS doesn't detect them based on the VIN. But iirc NCS should show all modules anyways.

If not, maybe you will also need to add the correct .GRP files to the ECU folder.
    Thanks for the module daten files. nI checked my NCS daten folder and found that I have both of those files. Identical to yours.

You mentioned .GPR files in the ecu folder. Could you expand on that please, I'm not sure what that I'm looking for.

Also, I seem to think you may have FTM and BTM fitted to your car. Could you by any chance upload for me the 'Nettodata' files from the 2 modules? I have a theory that using NCS dummy I can identify the part of the HEX code in the nettodata file for the code setting I want to change. Then using PA soft, re program the modules that way. What have I to loose!

Thanks again,

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    E36's don't come with these modules so I can't test it.

If you already had these files, your install is fine and don't worry about the ECU folder.

Here's a vid to code remote folding mirrors to an E46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ll7KBr-cc&t=677s

Interestingly, if you have a 2003 model, that would make it a facelift and according to this video, only GM5 needs coding on facelift models. From 7:28 he starts coding the FTM/BTM modules.

Maybe there's your problem. NCS maybe sees your car as a facelift model and will therefore not show the FTM/BTM modules.

Maybe you need to add these to the VIN/FA or maybe add something so it sees it as a pre-facelift car.

Just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by MParallel; 08-21-2020 at 11:28 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    1985 318i & 2003 Touring
    E36's don't come with these modules so I can't test it.

If you already had these files, your install is fine and don't worry about the ECU folder.

Here's a vid to code remote folding mirrors to an E46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ll7KBr-cc&t=677s

Interestingly, if you have a 2003 model, that would make it a facelift and according to this video, only GM5 needs coding on facelift models. From 7:28 he starts coding the FTM/BTM modules.

Maybe there's your problem. NCS maybe sees your car as a facelift model and will therefore not show the FTM/BTM modules.

Maybe you need to add these to the VIN/FA or maybe add something so it sees it as a pre-facelift car.

Just thinking out loud here.
    Thanks for the vid.
    Yes your correct, I have a post face lift which should have mirrors with ribbon loom and no door modules. But from reading I determined the are problematic, loom failing or the circuit board inside the mirror also failing.
    So I decided to build up and fit pre face lift mirrors with door modules. This is where I think I have come unstuck with my plan.

I have tried to change the build date in my VO, to try and trick NCS and get it to recognise the door modules, that didn't work. I also fitted a older GM5 to trick NCS, that didn't work either.
    So your thinking out loud is spot on.

I'd still like to pursue my idea of altering the hex code within the modules, but having trouble getting someone to supply me with their 'nettodata' files.

Cheers,

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast