Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 826 to 842 of 842

Thread: NCS Dummy - Taking the expert out of NCS Expert

  1. #826
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    30,834
    My Cars
    97 328i Vert, 98 M3 Vert
    On my e46 if there is an issue with the rain sensor it defaults back to time delay mode and the switch that used to adjust the rain sensor sensitivity now sets the delay between swipes. Look at your rain sensor from outside the windshield. There should be zero air bubbles. Solid black. There is a small round spot on the lower corner. I always assumed that was for the light sensor.

  2. #827
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    hey Flyfishvt, ya I read about that. its brand new glass. I checked that out after I noticed the rain sense wasn't working. looks perfect and ya, that small little hole seems to line up with the light sensor in the RLS. The original sensor had something loose inside, rattling around...when I opened it up it looked to be a surface mount resister that had come loose from the circuit board. if it would revert back to intermittent wipers with selectable delays...that would be great.... but no matter how much you rotate the dial it is always the same speed... basically low speed. I feel confident I am not coding it properly or not initializing it properly... either way.. the problem most likely is with what im doing...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    On my e46 if there is an issue with the rain sensor it defaults back to time delay mode and the switch that used to adjust the rain sensor sensitivity now sets the delay between swipes. Look at your rain sensor from outside the windshield. There should be zero air bubbles. Solid black. There is a small round spot on the lower corner. I always assumed that was for the light sensor.

  3. #828
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    707
    My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBird View Post
    hey Flyfishvt, ya I read about that. its brand new glass.
    ...
    if it would revert back to intermittent wipers with selectable delays...that would be great.... but no matter how much you rotate the dial it is always the same speed... basically low speed. I feel confident I am not coding it properly or not initializing it properly... either way.. the problem most likely is with what im doing...lol
    I had your symptoms after a new windshield on my E39: all water sensors reading 225 and rain sense generating random wipe cycles, even on a dry sunny day with zero water on the windshield. And no wipes when I sprayed water or when it rained. In my case the solution was a new prism, even though the windshield came with one installed. It was/is a Pilkington, who are a BMW supplier, although I've read not for the E39.

    On the chance that you might find some useful suggestions, see these threads for my experience.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=800955
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...954&highlight=

    FWIW, after the shop installed a new prism on the windshield I had (and still have) a few bubbles. In spite of those my rain sense has worked perfectly for the 3 years since installation, or more precisely since the debugging.

    If you wish, the GM/ZKE can be coded to ignore the RLS and revert to pure time delay intermittent. The attached txt files are MAN's from my GM3 C05. The first is my standard configuration, with the key's remote able to close all windows and the sunroof (a European feature that rumour has it is banned by BMW's US lawyers). The second MAN I used to disable rain sense and enable time delay intermittent as I worked on solving my RLS problems. Remove the "txt" extensions from the file names and NCS for Dummies will show you which parameters are different.

    EDIT: I was hasty saying "GM/ZKE can be coded ..." An E39 GM can, probably an E53 too, but I don't know for a fact.
    Last edited by rdl; 09-03-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    Regards
    RDL

  4. #829
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    Hey RDL, hmmm. it is Pilkington premium glass I got installed that came with the prism already attached. Do you know if I can order just the Prism from the dealer??...or did you get a used one from OE glass?? I will mess with it some more tomorrow and I guess I may have to try coding it for just intermittent wipers although it sucks having new glass and a brand new sensor from the dealer and still have it not work properly.

    thanks for taking the time to offer some advice and attaching your MAN files for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    I had your symptoms after a new windshield on my E39: all water sensors reading 225 and rain sense generating random wipe cycles, even on a dry sunny day with zero water on the windshield. And no wipes when I sprayed water or when it rained. In my case the solution was a new prism, even though the windshield came with one installed. It was/is a Pilkington, who are a BMW supplier, although I've read not for the E39.

    On the chance that you might find some useful suggestions, see these threads for my experience.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=800955
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...954&highlight=

    FWIW, after the shop installed a new prism on the windshield I had (and still have) a few bubbles. In spite of those my rain sense has worked perfectly for the 3 years since installation, or more precisely since the debugging.

    If you wish, the GM/ZKE can be coded to ignore the RLS and revert to pure time delay intermittent. The attached txt files are MAN's from my GM3 C05. The first is my standard configuration, with the key's remote able to close all windows and the sunroof (a European feature that rumour has it is banned by BMW's US lawyers). The second MAN I used to disable rain sense and enable time delay intermittent as I worked on solving my RLS problems. Remove the "txt" extensions from the file names and NCS for Dummies will show you which parameters are different.

    EDIT: I was hasty saying "GM/ZKE can be coded ..." An E39 GM can, probably an E53 too, but I don't know for a fact.

  5. #830
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    707
    My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBird View Post
    Hey RDL, hmmm. it is Pilkington premium glass I got installed that came with the prism already attached. Do you know if I can order just the Prism from the dealer??...or did you get a used one from OE glass??
    ...
    Did your RLS work before the new windshield?
    If yes, I'd push the installer to accept responsibility. Assuming you're willing, suggest they try new prism as an alternative to another entire windshield R&R. If the RLS wasn't working beforehand, ask for a little good will, i.e. they get a prism for you from their glass supplier. Perhaps R&R it for you too.

    The installer had no difficulty getting a prism from his glass wholesaler. And he did all the work R&Ring the prism while I observed - around 15 minutes from opening the car door to spraying water on the w/s for a test. It isn't actually too difficult - definitely a DIY if you own the problem and are handy.

    So far as I know BMW doesn't list the prism. I've seen prisms for sale on internet sites but all were wholesale, e.g. selling batches of 10+, no singles. But unit price was only ~$20.

    EDIT: it's late & I forgot your RLS had a loose part. Have you tried coding the new RLS using my data from this thread?
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...954&highlight=
    Last edited by rdl; 09-04-2017 at 01:15 AM.
    Regards
    RDL

  6. #831
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,231
    My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I created a trace file for my GM5 module so I can change some of the remote lock/unlock settings. I made all the correct copies. When I open NCS Dummy the drop down menu lists 4 different GM5 modules. Only 1 of them appears to work with my .man file. I see the same thing with lots of other modules in that drop down menu. What are the other ones for?
    Those are the different coding indices of the module. Coding indices usually go together with hardware and/or software revisions of the module. It's important to pick the right one for your module. You should write down the correct coding index for your module after reading the trace file with NCS Expert. See chapter 6.1 in the NCS Dummy user manual for more details on correctly creating trace files for NCS Dummy.

    If for whatever reason you have a trace file of which you do not know the coding index (or even the module), you can let NCS Dummy detect it. See chapter 3.6 for more information.

  7. #832
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    Did your RLS work before the new windshield?
    If yes, I'd push the installer to accept responsibility. Assuming you're willing, suggest they try new prism as an alternative to another entire windshield R&R. If the RLS wasn't working beforehand, ask for a little good will, i.e. they get a prism for you from their glass supplier. Perhaps R&R it for you too.

    The installer had no difficulty getting a prism from his glass wholesaler. And he did all the work R&Ring the prism while I observed - around 15 minutes from opening the car door to spraying water on the w/s for a test. It isn't actually too difficult - definitely a DIY if you own the problem and are handy.

    So far as I know BMW doesn't list the prism. I've seen prisms for sale on internet sites but all were wholesale, e.g. selling batches of 10+, no singles. But unit price was only ~$20.

    EDIT: it's late & I forgot your RLS had a loose part. Have you tried coding the new RLS using my data from this thread?
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...954&highlight=
    It did work before the new windshield. Then right after the new windshield it didn't work... then I put it off cause it hadn't rained in awhile. then a rock hit the brand new windshield, maybe 3 weeks old!!! Got another Pilkington one put in. Still no rain sensor. Then I bought a used one off ebay from a E53... installed, but no work. then bought OBD cable and software to try and mess with it. Then bought new rain sensor from BMW dealer. Figured out how to code for an E53 as it came coded for a different model completely. The error code I am getting when I look at it in INPA is No Sensor Initialization. The error count was 15 when I messed with it this afternoon.
    I did just now today notice that under windshield types, it has standard windshield checked when I have Solar glass, which is the other option. I was able to check the heat reflective but have been unsuccessful at actually getting it to code with my change. On my windows 8 laptop I am not seeing any expot options when I am making changes... omg... I need a drink! lol

  8. #833
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    ok, I figured out where my export buttons were. I changed the resolution on my laptop and they showed up.. got it coded to having a heat reflective windshield now. Tried initializing in INPA.. but still all values other than the light ones are crap. INPA gives me a "language mismatch" warning when I first start into using it with my E53. is that normal???

  9. #834
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    707
    My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBird View Post
    ...
    INPA gives me a "language mismatch" warning when I first start into using it with my E53. is that normal???
    Not for me. You might try checking other threads in this forum for help with that.
    Regards
    RDL

  10. #835
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    it would seem that the "language mismatch" only effects the language that errors are read in. That explains why I had to use a translator in my phone to understand what the error was in the RLS module. The error is that its unable to initialize the RLS.
    could this still be a prism problem?? I looked at the info in the thread you had posting a link to. It looks like I would need to order a #903 light prism as that says it fits my FW2382 solar glass windshield. Is the problem possibly with the mounting of the prism or the prism itself?? I don't understand how the new one will be any different than the one that came attached with the new Pilkington glass?? Or is it different maybe?

    thanks RDL, I appreciate your efforts in helping me sort this out.


    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    Not for me. You might try checking other threads in this forum for help with that.

  11. #836
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    uh oh.. hope I didn't post something I wasn't supposed to. I replied to you RDL and it said my post would not show up til it was approved by a moderator. Not sure what it was I said, but im sorry if I broke a rule of this site.

  12. #837
    MauiM3Mania's Avatar
    MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Central Pacific
    Posts
    7,796
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBird View Post
    uh oh.. hope I didn't post something I wasn't supposed to. I replied to you RDL and it said my post would not show up til it was approved by a moderator. Not sure what it was I said, but im sorry if I broke a rule of this site.
    No, it's all good. Members with low post count encounter this on occasion.

  13. #838
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    Thanks MauiM3Mania! thought I may have blacked out from all the stress of rain sensor problems and developed sudden onset Tourette's syndrome. lmao


    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    No, it's all good. Members with low post count encounter this on occasion.

  14. #839
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    707
    My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBird View Post
    it would seem that the "language mismatch" only effects the language that errors are read in. That explains why I had to use a translator in my phone to understand what the error was in the RLS module. The error is that its unable to initialize the RLS.
    could this still be a prism problem?? I looked at the info in the thread you had posting a link to. It looks like I would need to order a #903 light prism as that says it fits my FW2382 solar glass windshield. Is the problem possibly with the mounting of the prism or the prism itself?? I don't understand how the new one will be any different than the one that came attached with the new Pilkington glass?? Or is it different maybe?

    thanks RDL, I appreciate your efforts in helping me sort this out.
    I don't know if it was the prism itself or attachment to the windshield in my case. Whichever it was, a new prism solved my problem. And I had a new Pilkington windshield too.

    BTW, it's belatedly occurred to me that we've engaged in a thread hijack these last several posts - we've strayed a long way off this thread's topic. My apologies to all those following this thread for NCS Dummies issues.

    BriBird, I'd recommend you start a new thread for any further questions related to your RLS problems.
    Regards
    RDL

  15. #840
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    Hey RDL, Thanks. Sorry for straying off topic. I initially posted on this thread I assumed I was having a coding problem... but now its looking like I have a hardware problem as coding isn't fixing it. I will try to initialize the RLS a few more times. Revtor has giving me some instructions that he was nice enough to find about the process. Maybe I have not been following the steps as I should. Key on, initialize, key off for 10 seconds, key back to run position for 10 seconds. I have always had problems with timing issues during the learning process. Was having problems relearning a key fob on my womans Maxima cause it required cycling the key on and off 7 times in 10 seconds... but not too fast....not under 10 seconds... more like 7 in 10 seconds exactly..lol

    thanks so much for all your efforts RDL. I read thru your PDF about the operation of the RLS module you had posted in your thread about your trials with the RLS monster. If I cant get it to initialize, I will try the new prism, or at least remove mine and reinstall before ordering a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    I don't know if it was the prism itself or attachment to the windshield in my case. Whichever it was, a new prism solved my problem. And I had a new Pilkington windshield too.

    BTW, it's belatedly occurred to me that we've engaged in a thread hijack these last several posts - we've strayed a long way off this thread's topic. My apologies to all those following this thread for NCS Dummies issues.

    BriBird, I'd recommend you start a new thread for any further questions related to your RLS problems.

  16. #841
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    300
    My Cars
    1995 E38 740iL, 2005 E53
    Just want to give a huge thanks to @revtor.
    Bought an X5 a couple of weeks ago, and had to replace some bits... Waterpump, belt tensioner, blah blah...
    Got around to coding it today. Took me about 2 minutes from start to finish to unlock all doors with one press, one touch windows with the door open, and one touch with the key out.
    Best instructions ever! If you read and follow, you can't go wrong!!!
    I've been following the thread for years, but my E38 didn't have much to play with. The X5 is much more fun.
    Thanks again revtor, you're a legend!
    05 e53 X5 4.4i
    03 e53 X5 3.0d
    95 e38 740iL
    93 e32 730i (sold)
    90 e32 735iL (sold)
    92 e34 535is(sold)
    89 e34 525 m20 to m30b35 conversion(sold)

  17. #842
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Posts
    10
    My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i
    ok. Just had one of my buddies come out with his AutoLogic expensive ass BMW computer tool(he works for a BMW independent repair shop) .....and another RLS sensor. Could not get my new RLS from BMW, my used one I got from Ebay, or the one he brought with him he knew as good to initialize. He doesn't understand what the problem could be as he was linked to the RLS and all seemed normal until initialization failed. He is of the opinion and agrees with you RDL that it should not be the glass itself as its Pilkington Premium glass.... and thinks the prism or the tape holding it must be the problem. So at this point I will order a new Prism and try that. OMG... why do things have to be so difficult!? lol Thanks for all your help on this and I will be sure to post my results.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •