Thread: First turbo build help?

My Cars
    '92 E36 325is deathtrap

First turbo build help?

I have a 318is with an M44 that I'm looking turbo. Yes, I know this monster already has a whopping 138hp, why bother. I have a turbo from what I believe is an eclipse GS-T, so I want to run a low-budget, low-boost setup. I'm an all-motor guy, but I kinda want to try boosting it. So, what exactly do I need to make this turbo system work? I have the turbo. I know that I'll need the turbo exhaust manifold, FMIC, wastegate, boost controller, and BOV, but other than that I have no idea what I need. So what am I missing? Can I safely run about 6-8psi without any support mods or internal work? Would I need a new fuel pump and injectors, or would a FMU work in this scenario? Most importantly, how much am I looking at in cost? I don't plan to buy any parts as a kit or buy them new, which is a risk, but I'll probably open them and get them cleaned up before they join the rest of the parts. Any help is appreciated. thanks!

My Cars
    ofc
    there are too many "low" in your post, it won't work.
    nothing is free and nothing can be done with "I have no idea what I need.".
    this is the sad reality

try later or save you money and time and swap the car.
    Last edited by nuvola rossa; 11-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.

My Cars
    '92 E36 325is deathtrap
    Which is why I'm here, to learn what I need. And I don't plan on making a $200 turbo setup. I know that won't happen. So lets pretend i have blank checks, and I need to build a turbo. Lets start there. What other parts will I need other than what I've listed?

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    Not to rain on your parade man, but if you had blank checks and even if you didn't is recommend starting with something a little bigger. Sell the car get an m3 and go from there. I'm in the mist of a turbo build right now and ill tell you its more expensive then I originally thought. Your going to b limited as far as power too unless you do tons of work. If you want the power sell it and get an m they are relatively affordable these days. Best of luck
    Alpine White --- E46 M3 --- Maximum PSI --- Precision 6266 --- Custom 3" Exhaust --- Statusgruppe --- Varrstoen ---
    The rest is just smoke and tires
    -Snails- The real reason the tortoise beat the hare.-

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    or you can buy a 328 which also a good car for a turbo project and cheaper than M
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is Turbo
    or m52 swap the engine....

then look at the 1,000 threads that have done this and pwork through the bs...

then prep about $5k in monies and a backup car for the month or so it will take you to build...

profit.
    '89 325i S50 Swapped 5 Speed Coupe

My Cars
    '92 E36 325is deathtrap
    I think you're all missing the point. Maybe I wasn't really that clear on what I'm saying. I am NOT swapping my motor, NOT selling my car, and NOT getting an M3 or 328i. I'm keeping my 318is, I'm keeping the M44 that came with it, so this is happening either way. Just pretend I have an extra two if it makes you happy, but is there anybody that can help me here, please?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 318Isaac View Post
    I think you're all missing the point. Maybe I wasn't really that clear on what I'm saying. I am NOT swapping my motor, NOT selling my car, and NOT getting an M3 or 328i. I'm keeping my 318is, I'm keeping the M44 that came with it, so this is happening either way. Just pretend I have an extra two if it makes you happy, but is there anybody that can help me here, please?

Just trying to give you advice. Even if you do a full (non-budget) build on the car, you won't see nearly the power any of the 6 cylinder cars will.

Buy an intercooler off ebay. Build your own intercooler and exhaust piping. Tial 38mm wastegate and BOV of your choice. Use larger injectors, a walbro, and a megasquirt, or just run really really really low boost and pray an FMU works (but why turbo the car then for another 50hp only.)

Good luck... (and try not to take it the wrong way when people tell you to swap a 6 cylinder. It is just the most logical decision, sorry that you don't like it.)

-Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '92 E36 325is deathtrap
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Just trying to give you advice. Even if you do a full (non-budget) build on the car, you won't see nearly the power any of the 6 cylinder cars will.

Buy an intercooler off ebay. Build your own intercooler and exhaust piping. Tial 38mm wastegate and BOV of your choice. Use larger injectors, a walbro, and a megasquirt, or just run really really really low boost and pray an FMU works (but why turbo the car then for another 50hp only.)

Good luck... (and try not to take it the wrong way when people tell you to swap a 6 cylinder. It is just the most logical decision, sorry that you don't like it.)

-Mike
    Thanks, it not that I take it the wrong way, believe me, I'd prefer a 6-cylinder, but it's just not in the cards. I don't have the means of doing the swap. Apartment complexes aren't too keen on swaps, especially in cities. There is a guy that will trade me his M50 for my M44 (trading gas mileage for power) but he has an auto trans, and I have a manual, but both of us want to keep our transmissions. That would be the only way I'd be getting a straight 6. I know my trans would work, but his ECU probably wouldnt accept the 4-cyl. I'm not sure. So, I'm just going to boost the M44.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is Turbo
    move to sweden. ask them for help.
    '89 325i S50 Swapped 5 Speed Coupe

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Maybe best to start with a car that has the m50 type engine.
    Proper platform.

My Cars
    95 M3
    I have a 318is with an M44 that I'm looking turbo
    Issac, I did what you want to do with your 318 to my 84 318i. Two thinks you will need to add/adjust under boost is, "More Fuel", and "Retard timing".

This is how I did it using the stock ecu under boost, currently at 16.5 psi. I use the fire hose approach. When boost comes on, I turn on secondary fuel injectors operated by some cheep pressure switches. I have the old style distributor, so my timing is easy to adjust, no sure how you would do it on your m44.

Is this the best way of doing a turbo system,,,, probably not, but its working for me. I've been told "you don't have any control over your tune", bla bla bla. This only motivates me to push it more.

If you should choose to go this rout, you should get an O2 gage, so you know where your a/f ratio is at. You probably already know the basics of IC engines, so I say go for it, Turbo that 318is!
    Cheers,
    Jason

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Joey?

My Cars
    skateboard
    dippy?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '92 E36 325is deathtrap
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    Issac, I did what you want to do with your 318 to my 84 318i. Two thinks you will need to add/adjust under boost is, "More Fuel", and "Retard timing".

This is how I did it using the stock ecu under boost, currently at 16.5 psi. I use the fire hose approach. When boost comes on, I turn on secondary fuel injectors operated by some cheep pressure switches. I have the old style distributor, so my timing is easy to adjust, no sure how you would do it on your m44.

Is this the best way of doing a turbo system,,,, probably not, but its working for me. I've been told "you don't have any control over your tune", bla bla bla. This only motivates me to push it more.

If you should choose to go this rout, you should get an O2 gage, so you know where your a/f ratio is at. You probably already know the basics of IC engines, so I say go for it, Turbo that 318is!
    Cheers,
    Jason
    Thanks, jason, thats actually very helpful. My fuel system is inefficient for my motor as it is, so I have a walbro pump in the mail, and my buddy is adjusting injectors from a honda K20A motor to fit my car, but I doubt that will work, so I'm going to look for bigger injectors. Wish me luck!

My Cars
    95 M3
    No problem 318Isaac. I added a walbro pump and also added an adjustable fuel regulator, so I could fine tune A/F as needed.

I have to pass onto you a post I received from Hungary. What I did to control fuel under boost, guys in Hungary have been doing for years. Sorry for the poor quality photo:

WOT