Thread: bmw techs!! i need some help

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.

bmw techs!! i need some help

Im a ford tech at Imperial out in mendon, i did upper timing cover gaskets and vc gaskets on my uncles 00 740I 4.4L and now i'm throwing a p0010 code. Everything is plugged in and doubble checked.
    I did remove the bank 1 and 2 cam actuator solenoids, i just removed and replaced and now i have a code?
    are they known to fail and throw a cel like that?

Just frustrating, now i'm kinda dead in the water b/c i dont know why this code is coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by ///36M View Post
    F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    If you haven't tried, clear the codes with an obd 2 scanner to see if they go away...
    Last edited by JCooper; 10-30-2010 at 04:02 PM.

My Cars
    87 swapp e30,boosted e36
    use a peake tool. i have one they are really helpful

Jacques Cousteau could never get this low

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    I have a generic obd2 scanner that I used, the code returns instantly.

F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    e34, e30 x2, Unimog
    Quote Originally Posted by m3saloon View Post
    I have a generic obd2 scanner that I used, the code returns instantly.
    i can check when i get to work on monday if that helps... did you look it up in alldata?

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Yes, the code is cam shaft actuator circuit malfunction bank 1. I took out the cam shaft sensor and the solenoid valve to remove the upper timing cove. I didn't bang or damage either of them I was very careful. The code is a hard fault because it returns all most instantly. The car does not exhibit any drivability issues, I just am limited as to my diagnostic abilities with this motor.

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    F30 Msport, Jeep JK
    swap the actuators and see if the fault moves
    ??????????????????????????????
    BMW Tech

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    ^that's a good idea. Also put this q in the e38 forum. There is a lot of super helpful people there

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    i wasnt sure if the sensors are the same, but that will be what i try next.. The solinoid actuators require a special socket to remove if your not pulling the uppertiming cover, so inorder for me to swap them i'll hafto see if can source the tool, i'll post with findings.

update.

I read the code again to see if anymore had got set, Only the P0010 remained in memory (after 150-ish miles driving) i cleared and then swapped and re tested. the dam code changed from P0010 to now a P0011, Thnking i've found a bad sensor i've switched them back JUST to make sure the code followed the suspect sensor.. it does NOT. Now the code is a constant P0011 - Camshaft Position system actuator bank1 timing over-advance.

JaredM3 you work at bmw? Let me ask you this, when replacing the upper timing chain gaskets the timing chain tentioner on bank one gets removed with the cover.. i did not worry too much about it, b/c i wasnt moving any of the engine parts while the cover was off. are you supposed to keep tention on the timing chain while the cover is removed? i did not see it jump teeth, but i guess it is possible.. ( since it wasnt there before the repair )
    in theroy if the chain jumped shouldent i have major running/driveability problems for even a 1 tooth hop?
    Last edited by m3saloon; 11-01-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    F30 Msport, Jeep JK
    Yes, i work at bmw...Anything is possible that is causing your issues. Timing may have jumped when you removed the main chain tensioner. The only way of finding out is if you physically check the timing with the special tools. It is also possible that the tone wheel on the end of the camshaft somehow shifted. Again the only way to check that is with a special tool... The over advance concerns me because it is too much of a coincidence that this code came up after your loosened timing components. It would also explain that actuator circuit malfunction code.

It is difficult to speculate however because you cant simply hook it up to a diag system and watch real time cam degree range and possibly actuate the vanos to see if it actually does over advance (not sure if you can actually do that with an m62).

I would still like to see what happens if the solenoids are swapped. You can make your own special socket if you have access to a machine shop to bore out a socket to allow it to slip over the entire actuator.

From personal experience, I replaced upper and lower timing cover gaskets on an m62tu a few weeks ago and I wanted to check the timing just to make sure and it was off, i ended up re-timing the entire engine and resetting the vanos. Its an interesting way to reset the vanos, you need a volt meter to preload the units and confirm they bottom out in their oil cushon rig...its weird.

If you would like I could print out the instructions on how to do it all, PM me.

Good luck.
    Last edited by JaredM3; 11-03-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    ??????????????????????????????
    BMW Tech

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    I took it to a ex bmw tech gone indi, and he said just that, but because the engine runs tip top and all the way to redline no problem he said its more possible that the vanos just needs to be reset. Its highly unlikely (but possible) to have jumped time.
    Ill let you know what happens.
    THANKS for the help!!!!!! knew i would get the correct answers from the neot section.

Welcome to the fun!