Thread: Almost fell out of my chair!

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3

Thumbs up Almost fell out of my chair!

I almost fell out of my chair!

So I was watching the news and I usually try to mute when commercials come on. As I reached for the remote last night I thought I caught a glimpse of a 7er.

What's this I thought. Yes it IS an e38, not an 745Li or a 760. Nope it is a gorgeous 7 in silver and is rolling smoothly toward what appears to be a rooftop parking lot, urban setting. As it rolls slowly by and I feel my pulse quicken just a bit. It parks (was that an alarm chirp?) and the camera pans back and up to a left rear three quarter shot from about 20 feet up. The door opens and I'm thinking... what IS this? Where is this going?

The driver exits and starts walking towards an unseen office, then about thirty paces from the car he stops , turns and looks back toward this beautiful e38. Then he just GRINS.

Fade to black, then a BMW logo and finally the Certified Pre Owned marquee scrolls by...
    Last edited by shled; 12-07-2003 at 04:00 PM.
    ...on the gas
    Shled
    Charter Member, BMW e38 Real Beef Club

2001 Dinan 740i (stage 3) Supercharger, High Flow Throttle Body, HF Mass Air Meter, Free Flow Intake Manifold, Stage 3 Suspension (matched set performance tuned springs, camber plates, front struts and rear shocks), Stage 2 Front & Rear Big Brake Conversion, Stage 5 Supercharger Engine & Trans Software, Quaife LSD (from M5), HF Cold Air intake, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, e60 M5 bi-xenon HIDs; BMW e46 ///M3 flappy paddle 3-spoke sport wheel: aspheric, electrochromic, power fold mirrors: factory hydraulic trunk: BM53 Radio: BMW TCU: iPhone integration audio, video to AUX w/USB charging: M5 large body diff w/QUAIFE internals: (sig limit reache...

My Cars
    Multiple vintage BMW's...
    One of those times where the actor didn't have to act!

I know the feeling...

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3

Are we writing future commercials for BMW?

When I think of the number of times we all posted about doing the same thing, it's hard not to think that not only does BMWNA peruse the boards, but also BMWMarketing as well.

What's next, a guy drives his new (to him) CPO e38 home from the dealer and the camera pans up the driveway, over the hood and across the to the windshield a few hours later, eyes closed, dreaming, with a huge grin on his face...

Wait for it.

(nice car, it's Calypso?)
    ...on the gas
    Shled

2001 Dinan 740i (stage 3) Supercharger, High Flow Throttle Body, HF Mass Air Meter, Free Flow Intake Manifold, Stage 3 Suspension (matched set performance tuned springs, camber plates, front struts and rear shocks), Stage 2 Front & Rear Big Brake Conversion, Stage 5 Supercharger Engine & Trans Software, Quaife LSD (from M5), HF Cold Air intake, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, e60 M5 bi-xenon HIDs; BMW e46 ///M3 flappy paddle 3-spoke sport wheel: aspheric, electrochromic, power fold mirrors: factory hydraulic trunk: BM53 Radio: BMW TCU: iPhone integration audio, video to AUX w/USB charging: M5 large body diff w/QUAIFE internals: (sig limit reache...

My Cars
    Heh - they know a classic when they see one! .

..and yes, it's Calypso - you should have seen the transformation after a weekend of Zaino Bros - that stuff is amazing!

My Cars
    Toyota Sequoia
    Yea verily, the disease.
    There is no known cure.
    Simeon

My Cars
    '98 750iL, '88 750iL, '71 Charger, '67 Belvedere
    That does indeed sound like a classic. I have not seen it yet, but I will be watching for it.

I can’t help but think of an alternate ending…

…The driver exits and starts walking towards an unseen office and about thirty paces from the car he stops , turns and looks back toward this beautiful e38. This time a large cloud of steam is spewing from under the hood and a large puddle of coolant is quickly pouring out from under the car. Then he just GROANS.

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. I am a huge E38 fan, but I have to laugh at some of the “quirks” that we all hear keep hearing about.

By the way, one of my favorite commercials of all time is the one with land speed record car. If you’ve seen it, you’ll know what I’m talking about. If not, I won’t give it away and spoil all of the fun. I’m sure that it is posted somewhere. Maybe someone has a link to it.
    Dave Clement
    Chief Technology Officer, Seattle 7's
    1998 750iL w/2001 Facelift
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/daveclement
    http://www.seattle7s.com

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Sweet...

Anybody watch that CBS show "The Guardian"? The lead actor on that show is an attorney who drives an E38 that gets a little airtime ocassionally. Sometimes I'm watching the show and think, isn't it time for this guy to go for a drive now. :

- Mike D.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3
    Originally posted by Bimmerhead
    Yea verily, the disease.
    There is no known cure.
    As I watched that one for the first time I was wondering what they used.

Do they use a German or American ad agency? Regardless they are very clever. I even like the BMW Angels on each corner of an X5. Don't make me want to go out and buy an X5 tomorrow though.

Have you played their web game yet? Pretty cool considering.
    ...on the gas
    Shled

My Cars
    02 330i
    I wonder how they will redo the commercial for next year when the fresh off lease E65 cars start to show as CPO.

Lets just imagine.......

E65 rolls by, through the same parking lot, turns and pulls into the spot. The driver....new to the car spends the next 2 min trying to get the car into neutral or park using that funky new transmission control. He then steps out of the car, closes the door and begins to walk away. After 20 or so feet he stops, turns around pointing his remote at the car, feverishly pushing the "Lock" button trying to get the car to respond. After 5 or so tries and finally the telltale chirp, he takes on a somewhat disgusted look, shakes his head, turns and walks away, dreaming of the 98 740iL he just traded in for this 02 745i piece of junk.
    Greg

2002 330i
    Greg's E38 Pages

My Cars
    I'm envisioning the guy stuck inside the car crazed and trying to get out - feverishly spinning the Die-Drive to no avail...

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3

Have yet to see that ad again

but do not watch a bunch of TV these days. Anyone else seen it?
    ...on the gas
    Shled

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes

Re: Have yet to see that ad again

Originally posted by shled
    but do not watch a bunch of TV these days. Anyone else seen it?
    I saw it, great ad.

Eerily enough, it reminded me of the rooftop-parking garage scene in Fargo, minus the snow and Oldsmobile. Same camera angle, same circle-round driving path. Anybody else get that memory?

- Rob

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3

It seemed familiar...

...and now that you mentioned Fargo, yes. Thanks for the connect. Was it on during the news? I'm trying to understand their strategy.
    ...on the gas
    Shled

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes

Re: It seemed familiar...

Originally posted by shled
    Was it on during the news? I'm trying to understand their strategy.
    I don't recall exactly. Might have been on CNN, Discovery, History Channel, SpikeTV, or NASCARVision, err, I mean Speed Channel during an unpublicized break from NASCAR programming. Damn you, Fox!

- Rob