Thread: Car won't start, no crank, no dimming..help!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

Unhappy Car won't start, no crank, no dimming..help!

I've been having problems with my car starting up. This past Friday I helped my friend jump start their car and after I noticed when I tried to turn my car back on it would not crank up, nothing would happen...no clicking. I turned my lights on and they wouldn't dim when I tried to crank it. It took several attempts but the car turned on. This has been occurring for the last few days.

I took it to a mechanic who tested the battery, starter, alternator and checked the fuses. Everything checked out and he said it had to be something electrical but would take him a few days to look at it so I decided to take it to another mechanic.

The second mechanic did similar tests...and at the end said it was my key...He cleaned it up a bit and the car started...yea...but once I got home and tried to turn the car back on it wouldn't crank up. I need to let it sit for a while then after about 30 mins the car will turn on. It seems to be okay when it cools off...I think it might be the key or the ignitions switch...any ideas? will the key really do that? if it was the key will the lights not dim when you try to crank it?

Breakdown of Symptoms

Car will not start
    Will start after 30mins of sitting
    No sounds, except for the fuel pump
    Car's lights don't dim when cranked.
    Fuses, Batter, Starter, Alternator were checked and are in working condition.

Any advice?

My Cars
    '04 330CIC
    Do you have a spare key that you can use? There have be reported issues where anti theft EWS on the key is not transmitting properly. Quite often solved by using another key.
    '04 330CIC, 3 pedals, M Sports\Aerodynamic Packages
    '05 BMW R1200RT
    '94 BMW R100GSPD
    '84 BMW R100S (Wannabe)

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    try re-initializing the key you are having the problems with.

And I quote.....

"There is a lot of baloney and speculation posted about programming a new E46 master key, whether you can even get a master key, how much it costs, where it comes from, etc.

This message is reality check time. Everything I write her I have done in the last month. No BS, no speculation, just facts.

You can get a new E46 key from a BMW dealer. They will want to see your registration or title. Only a proven owner can get a new key. A good thing. It costs about $125 and you can have it over-night. The keys come, cut, but unprogrammed, from a U.S. location for U.s. customers. The dealer will program the key for you, but you need to give him your car and any other master keys you have if you want them all to work (the remote functions). Reprogram just one key, and the others will not work.

You can also program the key yourself. All your keys get reprogrammed at the same time. Here is how it is done (I did it this morning).

Definitions: button 1 on the keys is the one closest to the metal part of the key (this is the door open button); button 2 is the middle button (the door close button).

1. Open the car doors using the remote function of your working key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and switch momentarally to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. On the key transmitter, press and hold button 2. Press and release button 1 three times within 10 seconds while still pressing button 2.

6. release button 2.

7. The system indicates re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

8. If you want to do more remotes, you must do each within 30 seconds of step 7 for the preceeding key. You just need to repeat steps 5 through 7 for each key after the first.

You can knock off a dozen keys if you want in a few minutes.

Cheers.:

**This prolly isn't going to do much if your key is dead...but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by danewilson77; 10-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Thanks for the help guys. No I don't have a spare key...I'll go to the dealer today and buy a new one. It may take me a few days to get it but I'll report back once I try it out.

My key is not in the best shape and it does explain why I'm able to start it up every so often. The next option would be the ignition switch.

My Cars
    03 Alpine 330I ZSP
    yeah its your key man. I was told by the dealer that the keys have a rechargable battery to open doors and trunk and a chip so the car can start.

I have one key that does not open the doors when u push the button, but when i put the key in the ignition it starts.

My other key opens all the doors and trunk but when i put the key in the ignition nothing happens like you say. All the lights come on and they dont dim, nothing cranks. Nothing happens. If i sit there and try multiple times itll eventually start with it, but most of the time it doesnt.

So its most likely rhe chip inside your key that failed.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Standing there, all by itself, in the barren desert, was the lone shift knob. Ready with shield, and adorned with it's tribal tan kilt, to defend the honor of BMW against all enemies foreign or domestic.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    I got my new key today. Ordered it from the BMW hotline...24 hour service. Only cost me $55.00. Didn't get a fancy one with all the bells and whistles but I have to admit even the downgraded key looks better than my old one.

It seems to be working great. At first the car didn't start up but after the third try it did. I've been testing it every 20 minutes and the car starts. I'm going to give it a week before I call it a victory but thanks to all you guys who helped me out.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Yeah I had this problem too, where the buttons worked but it wouldn't start the car. Luckily I had my valet key it works with that. I also found out if i switch the car in the on position with the valet key and then take it out and put the non working key in it, it will start the car!

I called my dealer yesterday and they said a new key is 175$ or something like that that sucks...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by xFrank View Post
    I got my new key today. Ordered it from the BMW hotline...24 hour service. Only cost me $55.00. Didn't get a fancy one with all the bells and whistles but I have to admit even the downgraded key looks better than my old one.

It seems to be working great. At first the car didn't start up but after the third try it did. I've been testing it every 20 minutes and the car starts. I'm going to give it a week before I call it a victory but thanks to all you guys who helped me out.
    $55.00 just doesn't make sense to me........

Mmmmmm.........didn't know you were gonna order new key.

Glad you're all good....

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Yea I was amazed I could get it for that cheap. When I called the dealer they told me it would cost $175 with a 2 day wait. The rep then told me there was a 24 hour service hotline I could call that could deliver it to their dealer. I called the hotline and they said I had options in the key I wanted. To replace the one I had, same functions, it would be $150 but I could get something cheaper (They called it "downgrading" that could open the doors and star the car for $50 + tax. It's an 888 number. I would paste the number here but i dont know how many would believe me and call. They ask for personal info too and then when you pick up the key you need to bring your registration and photo ID. Your dealer should be able to give out the number.

My Cars
    Bmw e46
    Okay so im gonna need somebodys help with this one i got a 2000 bmw e46 non m and its giving me issues. I baught the car it came with two keys the first one started the car the second one only opend the trunk so I've had this car for about a year now and out of the blue it randomly starts like the ignition switch isn't responding or something let me know any ideas please💯💯

My Cars
    2002 325ic; 1995 540i
    I had same problem with starting. used other key and no problem. going to locate a new key and get programmed. I did wind up buying a new battery will not use that napa again they said battery was bad and sold me a new one.