Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seam around rear window

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 Roadster

Can u send or repost pics?

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroad View Post
    I replaced my trim piece with 1/4" black silicone hose slit down the middle, tucked it in, taped it off and sealed it with black rtv. It's been over 2 years and not a single problem. I can still access the zipper when it comes time to replace it.

For some reason your pictures do not appear on my computer. I would love to try this if I could see what you have done. Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The pictures appear in your post above. When you look at your post, what do you see? Do see pictures in posts in other forums?
    Last edited by Vintage42; 01-24-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
    So if you could choose an ideal size, which would it be? The 1/4" seems a bit large in the pictures

http://www.moddiy.com/products/High-...mm-OD%29-.html

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    I used 1/8" I.D. neoprene tubing. Worked great.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#5034K21

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 convertible
    I have some black 1/4 tubing, not sure if it is silicone or not, but I split a piece 5 inch long and that stuff was almost impossible to open to get it around the canvas part of the top around the window, Suggestions??? Is silicone soft and easy to use, my tubing was marine grade to send water pressure to a boat speedo.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Just posted this in another thread: I did the silicone tubing thing 3 or 4 years ago and it was fine. Pulled away a bit at the upper corners but fine. The window got brittle and cracked so I just replaced with an ADM this weekend. The problem is the RTV from the tubing repair is impossible to fully remove from the canvas top and now is visible around the bead of the new window. I did a pretty good job of cleaning it up and it doesn't look terrible but before trying the tubing repair you should consider this. In retrospect I wish I had just replaced the window in the first place.

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3

Re-attach pictures please?

Quote Originally Posted by DMilla View Post
    Just followed the direction on this thread and replaced my rear window seal with 1/4" silicone tubing, glued down with black silicone sealer, and then cleaned the window with Acrylic Werks! Looks Great! $15 to repair the seal, $24 for the Acrylic Werks, a few hours one afternoon, and I have a newly conditioned window. Not bad for a 15 year old factory original!
    Attachment 560621
    Hi, the attachment link is broken and I would appreciate it if you repost.

Thanks.

Tim

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3
    Any reason to not just pull it off?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I pulled the rest of mine off.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Why not just replace the window? It just zips in and it comes with that new rounded bead that covers the fabric.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    It is cheaper and easier to pull off the trim bead, than to buy and install a new window.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3
    So if I’m understanding this right I can pull of the molding w no downside or I’ll effects and when i replace the window it will
    come with a new molding?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    In 2012 some of molding had come loose, the PO had used glue that did not look good, and it felt easy to continue to pull more loose. I just kept going until it was all off.

The molding is the exterior edge of a flange that extends under the canvas and is stitched to the plastic window, and I think the molding just separates from its flange.
    The canvas is supposed to be sealed to the plastic window by double sided tape. Removing the molding should not affect the tape, but check whether your tape is all there and making a seal.
    The molding trims the edge of the canvas, and probably prevents fraying. Check your canvas edge where the molding has come loose, and consider whether fraying could happen.

I ran with no molding for a month while dealing with replacement windows. I did not wash the car or get rain on it (it has still not seen a wash or rain since 2012).
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-03-2020 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I used a ten foot, "U" shaped rubber trim piece from McMaster Carr. I put the edge of the fabric in the slot, taped it in place on the outside. I then put tape on the window and raised the rubber so I could put clear silicone glue on the underside to glue the rubber to the clear window. I did one side at a time and one corner at a time. The corners were tricky and it took several days before I had all the sides and corners glued. Looks good-neat and clean and should hold up to the weather.

Edge trim-Rubber trim-Style 3-EPDM rubber-#8693K15

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/4052/

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    z3trim.jpg

PO of my car put silicon on part of the canvas trim (ugh!). Thinking about something like the u shaped rubber trim like @jmai suggested to cover up the silicon, but provide a water seal by using double sided tape.

Is it even possible to remove the silicon?

The emiata window seems attractive because it would cover the trim and hopefully seal the window.
    Last edited by jcagle; 05-02-2023 at 10:22 PM. Reason: additional information

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    1/16" U Channel rubber trim worked well. Using 3M weatherstripping adhesive to adhere trim to the rubber on the vinyl window. Advantage of this u-channel trim is that it covers the canvas trim with the silicon on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T68F3PD...roduct_details

My Cars
    Z3
    Hi, the photo of the repair don't seem to show.
    Did you guys place the silicon on the edge of the canvas trim and stick the silicon tube to the window only?

If so is the u trim in above post better?

Also did you seal the silicon trim to the canvas or just the window?

Thanks

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I attached the rubber molding to the plastic window. I wanted to keep the canvas top cloth totally clean. So when I do finally replace the window the canvas top will be clean and be able to be tucked into the new rubber off the new window without any glue contamination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12