Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seam around rear window

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3

Seam around rear window

Common issue I know.

I've read several places where people reccomend black Permatex to glue it back together. I talked to a convertible top guy hear locally, and he advised against it, as if I need to replace the window later, I'll be screwed because the zipper will be all gummed up. He reccomended doublesided tape like they use at the factory. Seems like it'd be tough to get a tiny piece in there and the canvas tucked down smoothly.

Anyone have luck with 2 sided tape? Any product reccomendations?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Are you talking about the plastic part that lines the outside of the window?

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    I've done 2 sided tape (I think it was left over from a carpet install.

If you have a small section of the top that has become un-tucked...the rest is not far behind.

Just easy out a section, maybe 6 inches and then you can get a nice section of tape under the lip and tuck it back under.

My Cars
    2002 E46 M3 Convertible
    Mine had come untucked most of the way around. I used common rubber cement around the whole thing. It's been holding well for about a month.

My Cars
    2005 325XI
    I've used rubber contact cement around the outside perimeter tucking the fabric under with the plastic white tool that Bimmer gives you. I found the trick is someone on the inside of the window presses against the area that you use the white tool on the outside of the window.Use this procedure along the entire perimeter of the window.
    I hope this helps, it's been fine for over a year since I replaced the back window.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    Thanks, for the info. I'll try and find some good carpet tape. I guess if that fails, it's reversable, and I can try the rubber cement route.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Permatex CLEAR FLOWABLE windshield sealer.

I've only ever needed it on the top corners, and I don't see a problem getting the window out in the future; it's not as though you need much product to keep it tucked in.

I've seen car's tops/windows "repaired" with black silicone, and it LOOKS awful.

My Cars
    A soulless IS250
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

I've only ever needed it on the top corners, and I don't see a problem getting the window out in the future; it's not as though you need much product to keep it tucked in.

I've seen car's tops/windows "repaired" with black silicone, and it LOOKS awful.
    referring to mine?

(yes... I agree...)
    protip: If you're reading the post above, it's probably a joke.

My Cars
    W205, Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

I tried that once and, yep like GBimmer it looked bad. After the money came I just went ahead and replaced the back window altogether because it was fairly brittle.
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster Hardtop - Boston Green/Black, Magnaflow 14815, Headers, Custom CAI, IE RSM, ACS Shocks/Struts + H&R Sport, M54 Manifold, Cosmos Strut Brace.

2007 335i Sedan 6 speed - Black/Black

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by GBimmer View Post
    referring to mine?

(yes... I agree...)
    After a few years, they all blend together

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I have yet to replace the rear window on the roadster. I keep meaning to do it, but I fixed that problem with the hard top. The little rubber trim ring has completely come off.

My Cars
    Ferrari,Mercedes,Porsche
    I replaced my trim piece with 1/4" black silicone hose slit down the middle, tucked it in, taped it off and sealed it with black rtv. It's been over 2 years and not a single problem. I can still access the zipper when it comes time to replace it.

My Cars
    Z3M
    ^^^ Thats a really good job

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    Rocknroad, your solution is really cool. Other convertibles I've had in the past has at least a 3/4" rubber seal around the window. The super thin plastic bead of the Z3 seems idiotic to me. I was lucky with mine though, the top was pulling out around the bead and I got mine replaced under waranty - just one month before it ran out! YEAH!!!! Your solution is a great alternative to a complete top replacement.
    Last edited by 2002Z3; 10-21-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroad View Post
    I replaced my trim piece with 1/4" black silicone hose slit down the middle, tucked it in, taped it off and sealed it with black rtv. It's been over 2 years and not a single problem. I can still access the zipper when it comes time to replace it.

Best thing I have ever seen! AWESOME.

My Cars
    Z3M
    has anyone got pics of other methods tried? (and failed!)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroad View Post

omg this is like new! I just replaced my rear window today, took me 3 hours and left me very very hungry. The whole plastic bead came off, so now I'm done and without the bead. I saw your pictures but I don't really understand the taping part. So what parts did you glue? Did you glue the clear window and the black silicone hose together (which means you sealed off the opening to the zipper right?) ? Then how are you able to access the zipper? Do you mean the black glue that you used is easy to remove?

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0i, 97 M3 Coupe
    Over a year ago now Rockenroad gave me a link on his repair. I followed his instructions and repaired my window beading. You have to be careful with the RTV it can get messy. My repair does not look as pretty as his but the beading is in place and there are no problems. Great idea Jeff!

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    I used the Elmer's stix-all (or something like that) that others have recommended. The only thing I wish the glue had a pointy spout. After I ran a line of glue under the fabric I used a plastic card to push the glue down toward the window while tucking the fabric in under the rubber trim. Worked like a charm.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    Ferrari,Mercedes,Porsche
    Quote Originally Posted by Edkenn View Post
    Over a year ago now Rockenroad gave me a link on his repair. I followed his instructions and repaired my window beading. You have to be careful with the RTV it can get messy. My repair does not look as pretty as his but the beading is in place and there are no problems. Great idea Jeff!
    Thanks. It's no secret I'm great about posting fix-its then never following up on the questions that follow. I guess i think I"m pretty thorough on the original post...but I've learned there will always be questions.

that doesnt mean I learned to follow up.

My Cars
    2001 Z3, 1995 318ti
    Is that 1/4" inside diameter? I'd like to try this. Where did you get the tubing? My top seems in good shape, but the window is not. I'd like to try some plastic cleaner/polisher on it and do this edging thing before I spring for a new window.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Just followed the direction on this thread and replaced my rear window seal with 1/4" silicone tubing, glued down with black silicone sealer, and then cleaned the window with Acrylic Werks! Looks Great! $15 to repair the seal, $24 for the Acrylic Werks, a few hours one afternoon, and I have a newly conditioned window. Not bad for a 15 year old factory original!
    Attachment 560621
    Last edited by DMilla; 01-16-2016 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by DMilla View Post
    Just followed the direction on this thread and replaced my rear window seal with 1/4" silicone tubing, glued down with black silicone sealer, and then cleaned the window with Acrylic Werks! Looks Great! $15 to repair the seal, $24 for the Acrylic Werks, a few hours one afternoon, and I have a newly conditioned window. Not bad for a 15 year old factory original!
    Attachment 560621
    Looks awesome.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by DMilla View Post
    Just followed the direction on this thread and replaced my rear window seal with 1/4" silicone tubing, glued down with black silicone sealer, and then cleaned the window with Acrylic Werks! Looks Great! ...
    It really does. Does it survive the folding and unfolding of the top OK?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    It really does. Does it survive the folding and unfolding of the top OK?
    Yes, the top folds & unfolds nicely. The silicone tubing and the silicone sealer are both very pliable. I'm confident this is a long term solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast