Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement with E30

My Cars
    '95 M60B40
    Hey Aron, I can fit any of these ball joints into my '98 M3 Vert right?

1995 M60B40

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, 07 335i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by astigracing View Post
    Hey Aron, I can fit any of these ball joints into my '98 M3 Vert right?
    I can only tell you that I bought those for my 97 M3 sedan. I would recommend using realoem.com to check and make sure your control arm part numbers are the same as a 97 M3 sedan. That said, they are probably the same.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    I can only tell you that I bought those for my 97 M3 sedan. I would recommend using realoem.com to check and make sure your control arm part numbers are the same as a 97 M3 sedan. That said, they are probably the same.
    They are the same, I just installed some in my 98 coupe arms.
    Sean

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, 07 335i 6MT
    I decided to do this project this weekend because, well, what else can you do during a hurricane? I'm glad I got the 20 ton HF press instead of the 12 ton, those ball joints were IN there. Anyway, I noticed there were a lot of write-ups on making special tools to put the FCAB's back onto the control arm. If you buy/use a press for the ball joints, use it to install the FCAB's also (into the "lollipop" and onto the control arms). Took 10 seconds, see the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    73 Datsun Z & 01 Mcoupe
    Wich ones are better, Lemforder or Meyle HD???

This is getting confusing, cause a few guys mentionned installing E30 M3 balljoints but, most others are only refering to them as E30.
    Are the part number mentionned in this thread for an E30 M3 or regular E30?

Quote Originally Posted by phild328 View Post
    ...I saw one post on the web about someone who used the E30 M3 ball joint no problem in a E36 M3...
    Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    I replaced mine last Jan, popped out the old ones, pressed in new E30M3 inner and outter (Lemforder parts) and its good as new...
    Can the ball joints be replaced in the E30 M3 aluminum arms?

Quote Originally Posted by 284Shooter View Post
    '95 M3 control arms and E30 M3 control arms are the same geometry, but E30M3 arms are aluminum and very expensive. However, the e30m3 arms are designed to replace the ball joints...
    I'm trying to find outter Meyle HD for E30 on Ebay, because most suppliers mentionned here won't ship to Canada but, can't find them.

Anyone has experience with the Moog ones on Autohauz site? Cause I know I can get Moog localy.

Thanks.

Alex.
    Last edited by Chuck Norris; 08-28-2011 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I would not get Moog ball joints, as they have a high risk of early failure... Lemforder for balljoints!

My Cars
    73 Datsun Z & 01 Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    I would not get Moog ball joints, as they have a high risk of early failure... Lemforder for balljoints!
    Thanks for your input.

What makes Lemforder better thanb Meyle HD?? I like the fact that the Meyles are full metal, are the Lemforder also full metal??

My Cars
    98' M3 Sedan 92' 535im

double checking part #

I'm about to order
    31 12 1 126 254 outers and
    0133-1626314 inners, all Lemforder.
    For some reason no one on this thread is mentioning control arm bushings, at
    a glance mine look fine but my car has 160k. Isn't this a "while I'm there" type of thing or do these not really wear out. I don't really want to spend the extra $80 but I will...
    All this info should be a sticky somewhere instead of pouring through and deciphering all these posts.

Just got this car 1998 cosmos sedan on black leather, it's pretty awesome. Sit's in the driveway with the granite 1992 535im, they look damn good together.
    Got a minor 5 gear detent problem, hoping redline d4 might help a little. Just put in the zhp shifter and got some nice used oem M3 mats of ebay. Would love to put some ceramic pads on, can't take dirty wheels but the brakes are incredible. Stereo sucks(not HK), does this even have the door speakers, can't hear anything. What are my simple stereo upgrades? Airbag light on, mechanic says the seat belt buckles fail but I've read it can be many things. Crappy hanging exhaust shield sound like a common problem. Little guibo vibration, that will have to wait till I need a clutch I guess. Super clean for 160k, looks like 60k. I'll have to get a picture. Thanks everyone.

Joe
    slc,ut
    98' M3 sedan manual of course
    92' 535im
    84' 4000q

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, 07 335i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by bimurtud View Post
    I'm about to order
    0133-1626314 inners, all Lemforder.
    For some reason no one on this thread is mentioning control arm bushings, at
    a glance mine look fine but my car has 160k. Isn't this a "while I'm there" type of thing or do these not really wear out. I don't really want to spend the extra $80 but I will...
    All this info should be a sticky somewhere instead of pouring through and deciphering all these posts.
    IIRC the FCAB's come in pairs, it should be $40. They are easier to do with the control arms removed. Check out post #77 farther up this page.

My Cars
    98' M3 Sedan 92' 535im

thanks

Thanks for the info. The pic shows 2 where I am ordering but quantity says one, I think you are right though. Did I get those other part numbers correct? I think I did but there was some conflicting numbers on a few posts.
    0133-1626314 inners, is what I got.
    But someone mentioned
    31 12 1 126 253 too, but I can't find those anywhere.

I'm sure I need
    31 12 1 126 254 for the outer.
    The question is do I need
    0133-1626314 inners(post 59) or
    31 12 1 126 253(that doesn't seem to exist anymore) (post 57)inners.

31 12 1 126 254 and
    0133-1626314 both come up when shopping partsgeek as fitting an 88' M3, but only -08/31/88

Thanks again.

Joe 98' M3 sedan
    Last edited by bimurtud; 09-16-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Edirty
    I read through this whole thread and couldnt find the part number needed for a non-m e36 or are they the same as an m3? Or would it be better to upgrade to M3 control arms?
    _Tuanathon

'96 BMW 328is - Sport Package - Boston Green
    H&R/GC - Style 5s - HK TrafficPro

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    Quote Originally Posted by tuanathon View Post
    I read through this whole thread and couldnt find the part number needed for a non-m e36 or are they the same as an m3? Or would it be better to upgrade to M3 control arms?
    I don't believe they are the same. If they were the people with E36 M3s would not be pressing in E30 ball joints, they would be pressing in ball joints from an E36 328.

The FCABs are different, but interchangeable. The M versions have more rubber in them and are a nice upgrade.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Can the ball joints be replaced in the E30 M3 aluminum arms?

Alex.
    Yes, but not recommended for street use, they have a fatigue factor and should be replaced every couple years.... that's why no one uses them.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    Yes, but not recommended for street use, they have a fatigue factor and should be replaced every couple years.... that's why no one uses them.
    And the weight you save vs. how much they cost is not worth it at all.

To someone else's question up above the Lemfoerder's are all metal as well. Only the e30 balljoints fit in the e36 m3 arms.

31 12 1 126 254
    31 12 1 126 253

That's it, those are the part numbers. Order from autohausaz or call any bmw parts supplier and talk to him on the phone with those numbers.

Also Non-M control arms are different and use a larger outer ball joint.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    ive ordered these ball joints but when they arrived they have no alignment notches<how can i check they are in correctly when i fit them?
    j.

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    I think the inners have a notch that you point towards the outside of the car. The inner joint I believe can only pivot in a certain direction. The outer can pivot 360. I am not 100% sure of this.

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    There is a triangle cast on the non-notched ball joint for alignment

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    So not to really bump an old thread, but do they sell replacement rubbers for the dust cover on the ball joints? I need to replace my outer ball joint on my car, but the inner one seems ok, but the rubber dust seal is a bit torn. Should I just bite the bullet and replace both or try to find a replacement dust cover? Thanks

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSURT
    So not to really bump an old thread, but do they sell replacement rubbers for the dust cover on the ball joints? I need to replace my outer ball joint on my car, but the inner one seems ok, but the rubber dust seal is a bit torn. Should I just bite the bullet and replace both or try to find a replacement dust cover? Thanks
    If I recall correctly, no. You can clean the boot, and apply some RTV. The point of the boot is to keep the ball joint clean.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    Quote Originally Posted by PSURT View Post
    I'd bite the bullet and do them both. We're talking about $50 in parts.

Removing the control arms isn't all that much work and it's MUCH easier to remove and install the ball joints with a press. Also a great opportunity to replace control arm bushings.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Well I just ordered both from AutohausAZ. I've never used a press before, how hard is it? I've done motor mounts and brakes and other things like that before, so how does it rate on that scale? To be honest, it looks kinda easy.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    And the weight you save vs. how much they cost is not worth it at all.

To someone else's question up above the Lemfoerder's are all metal as well. Only the e30 balljoints fit in the e36 m3 arms.

31 12 1 126 254
    31 12 1 126 253

That's it, those are the part numbers. Order from autohausaz or call any bmw parts supplier and talk to him on the phone with those numbers.

Also Non-M control arms are different and use a larger outer ball joint.
    Cheers for this, makes things easier to have it concisely put in one place

These are sold in pairs right? It says nothing on autohauz's description so I just wanted to make sure.
    It does however say this under the description for the inner ball joints: "For models with Meyle HD replacement control arm only, cannot be used with stock control arm or other brand replacements. 2 per car."

Is this just to be ignored? Seems everyone here is having luck with the factory congtrol arms anyway??

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yes, if you used those part numbers ignore that.

They're not sold in pairs, 2/side so like $120-$130 for all 4.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Does anyone have a good DIY for pressing out the control arm ball joints? I'm mostly looking for technique as I'll have access to a shop press on Wednesday. I tried searching Youtube and couldn't find anything useful.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    I haven't seen one. Just remember that the inners have an alignment groove. Also, if you are new at using a press, consider buying an extra inner and outer. You can easily sell it here for a few bucks less than you paid for it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast