Thread: Windows roll up automatically when key is inserted...

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3

Windows roll up automatically when key is inserted...

So I'm either having some strange window problems or I don't know everything about the M3 just yet.

Car is in the garage with the windows rolled all the way down and both door panels off.

Once I insert the key into the ignition, turn one click, both windows will roll up automatically and a couple of things happen:
    1. When I press the down arrow on the either switch, the windows do not move/go down (stays in this state for about a minute), then
    2. Between 1-2 minutes, if I press and hold the down button on either switch, the windows will roll down but when I let go of the switch, the windows will roll up automatically.

After about 2-3 minutes, normal operation of the windows occur.

I reset the memory on the windows and thought this might fix the problem but no luck (new battery installed)

I thought it might be related to my damaged passenger striker, but I replaced it and still get the same results.

Any ideas what it could be?
    Last edited by Veleno; 09-04-2021 at 08:36 AM.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    So I disconnected the battery in hopes of resetting the system to fix this issue but no luck. I left battery disconnected for 2 hours and it still does everything above.

I do not have an oem alarm so that's not the problem.

I also just installed a working obc in hopes that it'll fix the problem, still no luck.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    does the car have an aftermarket alarm?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Sounds like aftermarket garbage at play. No factory setup would do this.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    As far as I know there is no alarm (aftermarket or oem). I remember reading on here about the oem system closing or opening windows/sunroof. I'll try to find that thread again...

My Cars
    '91 325i
    It is possible that the general module failed (controls locks and windows). Plausible reason for this may also be the door handle switch of the lock position, easy to unplug by the door handle to test or even look at the states in INPA. The GM will roll the windows up when you hold the key in the closed position for several seconds, so it has the logic to do this. You can also just remove the "door locked" microswitch feed into the GM at the plug itself and see if it chills out a bit.

E36s are at an age when a lot of electrolytic capacitors exceed their life span, just redid my HVAC module and fixed my blend door problems because of this.
    Harrison Motorsports
    Motion Control Suspension
    Daytona M3

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlo View Post
    It is possible that the general module failed (controls locks and windows). Plausible reason for this may also be the door handle switch of the lock position, easy to unplug by the door handle to test or even look at the states in INPA. The GM will roll the windows up when you hold the key in the closed position for several seconds, so it has the logic to do this. You can also just remove the "door locked" microswitch feed into the GM at the plug itself and see if it chills out a bit.

E36s are at an age when a lot of electrolytic capacitors exceed their life span, just redid my HVAC module and fixed my blend door problems because of this.
    Is there a picture somewhere that I can compare with mine to see what it's suppose to look like?
    What you're saying makes sense, so I will disconnect the wires connected to the driver's door lock (and possibly the passenger's side too) to see if it does the same thing when the ignition is turned on.