RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 98 328i odd problems with shifting

My Cars
    07 335i 6mt,M3 drifter

Unhappy 98 328i odd problems with shifting

ok so my 328i 5spd is having clunking noises from the differential like i get a clunk like its moving around (i recently changed the diff) the threads on the subframe became stripped beyond fix for the 12-1.50 thread so i tried to thread it back and didnt catch like it should so today i rethreaded it to 1/2x13 and didnt fix it just made it quieter and if i take off in 1st at like 5k rpm i get a chatter from underneath my gearbox or maybe the driveshaft. it doesnt do it in any other gear but 1st so im lost and tired of having to ease my car into gear to avoid clunking...any input would be great!!!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    "Rethreading" to an American size will guarantee the hatred of any mechanic that ever sees that bolt. The correct way would be to helicoil it.

Chattering/clunking in 1st gear could be bad shifter bushings, bad trans or engine mounts, bad guibo, maybe bad center support and or driveshaft. Unless the diff is loose; I'd have to drive it to know for sure where the noise is living. Chattering under the gearbox sounds way different from the clunk of a moving diff.

I'd suggest having an experienced BMW guy drive it, and put it up on a lift. Then you'll know.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    07 335i 6mt,M3 drifter
    Ok then will do. Hope its nothing too bad and it can be fixed fairly quickly. Thanks